King Crimson "Sailors' Tales" Mega Box (November 2017)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by whiskeyvengeance, Sep 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. penguinzzz

penguinzzz Forum Resident

I don't think the '2 years' comment needs to be taken too literally - December 69 to March 72 is only a little over 2 years.

At this point it's fairly certain the 'Unidentified show no. 1' is Santa Monica 19 March 72, but without more clues we don't know if the 'Unidentified show no.2' is a later set from the same date.

NumberEight likes this.
  2. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

Thanks for the Santa Monica info. (I wasn’t taking the ‘2 years’ comment literally either.)

penguinzzz likes this.
  3. jsb!

jsb! Forum Resident

Hi all- I got this box set (my first delve into King Crimson mega boxes) last week - ordered from Amazon France.

Quick question: has anyone had any problems with any of the blu-rays? My Poseidon and Lizard ones work fine, but both Islands & Earthbound load, get as far as the album cover screen but then instead of fading into a new screen that has the options (as the first two do), they just kind of... stop. The screen goes black, the timecode on my player shows --:--:-- and nothing happens from there. I eventually have to stop/eject them. This has happened every time on these discs - something I don't think I've ever seen before.

Anyone else have/heard of similar problems?

Thanks!

4. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

No issues on my end.

5. jsb!

jsb! Forum Resident

Yep, sorry - I just dropped by a friend's place & tried Islands on their player - no problems. Looks like, as I originally thought, my nine-year-old blu-ray player needs replacing. It's been occasionally troublesome before, but never this particular issue.

Sigh.

(I'm enjoying what I have been playing, btw. This issue aside, very glad I took the leap into these boxes... even though I foresee a lot more expenditure on the rest of the series in the future...)

6. krimson

krimson Forum Resident

Maybe try a firmware update?

7. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

If you have an Oppo, this may improve after clearing "persistent memory".

Yes, it is possible the disc profile is too recent for your player.

8. jsb!

jsb! Forum Resident

Thanks, guys. I'll try both of those - it's just odd that two discs from this set play and the other two do not. It's the longer/fuller two that don't, I've noticed. That might have something to do with it.

9. jsb!

jsb! Forum Resident

Well, I bit the bullet and just bought a new player - was probably overdue anyway - and now both discs play just fine. Hurrah!

Sorry for the distraction everyone...

10. MOB_HRV

MOB_HRV Forum Resident

Did someone notice that the dates for the Detroit and the Chicago recordings that arte indicated in the box set are different from those available on DGM Live downloading platform?

I have my theory about this change.

This could be due to an ambiguity/mistake in the tour dates listed in the book of the 2-LP compilation "A Young Person's Guide To King Crimson" (1975). The same mistake appears in the tour dates listed in the book of the "Frame By Frame" box set (1991).
    The ambiguity comes from this extract from the tour dates listed in the books:
    - February 17: Detroit, Arie Crown (-> mistake because the venue is not matching the city)
    - February 18: Detroit, Grande Ballroom (-> must be correct because Grande Ballroom is in Detroit)
    - February 19: Chicago, Grande Ballroom (-> mistake because the venue is not matching the city)

There are logical 2 possibilities:
    - possibility "A": the cities are correct in the list -> the band played first in Detroit (Feb 17-18), then in Chicago (Feb 19)
    - possibility "B": the venues are correct in the list -> the band played first in Chicago (Feb 17), then in Detroit (Feb 18-19)

DGM Live downloading platform offers a Detroit recording dated Feb 17 and a Chicago recording dated Feb 19, so it seems they opted for possibility "A".

But on the "Sailors' Tales" box set, the same recordings appear with Chicago dated Feb 17 and Detroit dated Feb 18, so it seems that the possibility "B" is now considered as the valid one. The tour dates mentioned in the book from the "Sailors' Tales" box were indeed modified, mentioning Chicago on February 17, and Detroit on February 18 and 19.

I make the assumption that the tour dates mentioned in the 2017 book are the valid ones.
    Can anyone confirm that the dates mentioned in the box set for Detroit and Chicago are the valid ones?

11. leefarber

leefarber Senior Member

Still making my way through this monster. Has anyone noticed the minute-long dropout during “Schizoid Men” on both the Blu-ray AND the DVD? It happens during Part 11, from 47:15 to 48:15 (my player only registers the total time, not the track time). So strange!

TFEC likes this.
  12. TFEC

TFEC Opinion Holder

"Hidden track"

Intentional.

13. leefarber

leefarber Senior Member

Wait, they intentionally inserted silence into Part 11? What do you mean hidden track? It’s in the middle of Part 11!

14. albertop

albertop Forum Resident

It was the same on the original Ladies of the Road CDs. Two Schizoid Men in one track, with silence in the middle.

15. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

And on the Earthbound 40th DVD-A.

16. privit1

privit1 Senior Member

As originally released, so artistic choice and retained

17. leefarber

leefarber Senior Member

Wow, I never realized this before! It's been year since I played the LADIES OF THE ROAD set, but now I understand. Thanks all!

warewolf95 likes this.
  18. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Still waiting on a response from DGM about the pressing errors in the studio CDs from this box...

van1, opiumden and smiley69 like this.
  19. Percy Song

Percy Song A Hoity-Toity, High-End Client

Alex has indicated that a web page is being compiled which deals with all the items (intentional and unintentional) that have been spotted.

alx7, smiley69 and Plan9 like this.
  20. van1

van1 Forum Resident

rontoon and footlooseman like this.
  21. Bumping this thread as I’ve been going back to the box and taking breaks for a few months now.

The bonus material on the Blu rays for the proper albums is really great. I’m happy that they included so many alternate versions, excerpts, works in progress. I’ve really come to love Poseidon as a complete album and the extra material contributes to this.

Lizard is also a fantastic offering and the basic tracks/redux mixes etc are revealing. I’ve liked this record ever since I first heard it a couple years ago but I think that the weakest link has to be the vocals of Gordon Haskell. If this album had been done by Lake and Anderson, I think it would have been received much differently. Indoor Games and Happy Family have some great riffs and arrangements. I’ve realized that (I think) Fripp was building off of Cat Food for these cuts... they give off a similar vibe and would have been better served with some better developed melody and delivery. The thing is, I like Haskell’s work in Le Fleur de Lys, so I know he can deliver in specific circumstances.
    The broken down tracks and excerpts for the Haskell tunes reveal the potential they had to be better than the end result. All that said, I have renewed appreciation for Lizard as a whole despite its shortcomings.

I’m lucky enough to have all the boxes from Court to Red, and elements of each are always in rotation at my house. Well done!

22. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

I just wish they’d made the Blu-ray versions a bit more accessible. Ripping the audio (and identifying which track is which) gets to be a bit tedious.

The content, however - as you yourself say - is tremendous.

Haggis Wampovich, Runicen and Kalli like this.
  23. Marty T

Marty T Stereo Fan

He was then and he is today! The two recent live albums support this view of Mel in a big way - tt's so great to hear him on tunes on which he wasn't originally included.

24. gojikranz

gojikranz Forum Resident

life is finally calming after my recent move and I am finally getting a chance to explore this set. wanted to say thanks to all the people with their insightful commentaries. being a bit of a anorak I am quite curious about the mystery shows dates. did anyone who has the full bootleg of that santa monica show send it to DGM? wonder if they might put it up and maybe be able to clarify if they had that tape in their possession.

25. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

With so much newly released stuff, I finally dug into this box today. I think I'll like it more than I thought (I'm primarily Wetton/Cross/Bruford/Fripp '72-'74 coming into this). But my first few minutes of listening to the first '71 show immediately begged the question: Why does the Sailor's Tale '71-'72 live stuff and the '73-'74 live stuff on Starless and Road to Red sound so very much better than the live shows on the Lark's box? The ball was decidedly dropped at just the wrong time. That playing in late '72 was monstrous. Alas...we have much to appreciate nonetheless.

Joti Cover, Kalli, rontoon and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.