King Crimson "Sailors' Tales" Mega Box (November 2017)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by whiskeyvengeance, Sep 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pim

Pim Forum Resident

Got the box a few weeks ago. Amazing stuff. Just a shame they don't offer downloads or something for the BluRay only audio (the Alternate Album selections etc). I would've preferred it if they at least did all the studio stuff as audio cd's - put some live shows on a BluRay instead.

NumberEight likes this.
  2. opiumden

opiumden Forum Resident

Unfortunately the Larks' era concerts were rarely captured in a professional manner. It's a shame that early '73 stuff (after Muir's departure, before Starless) in soundboard almost literally doesn't exist.

Haggis Wampovich and Archtop like this.
  3. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

Yeah, I know; I have all that's commercially available on CD (nothing from early '73, however). The first two shows in Germany (Oct. '72) are of acceptable audio quality, but after that in late '72, they suffer quite a bit. I'm just wondering why the downturn at such a critical juncture. It almost makes me think that Fripp may have been unsure about this new incarnation, so he didn't take the time to capture it properly.

footlooseman likes this.
  4. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

It may have been Sinfield that was the man behind soundboard recording because it ceased to happen after he was ousted, not to be done again until about 74.

Runicen and Archtop like this.
  5. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Any one know if this web page re Sailor's Tales is up and running?

6. Percy Song

Percy Song A Hoity-Toity, High-End Client

Alex hasn't updated me about it since February, so I guess not. A little annoying; I don't like these little glitches on the two CDs.

Flaming Torch likes this.
  7. Robin Redbreast

Robin Redbreast Well-Known Member

Hi all,

Although this isn’t my first post round these parts it’s my debut in the capacity of a Crimhead (I posted in a few Tull threads earlier this year around the time the “Heavy Horses: New Shoes” set was released).

I’ve been copying my Sailors Tales box set today and thought I’d start posting here.

My question is related to some light damage my set endured during transit. I wondered if you bothered contacting DGM, Whiskeyvengeance? I ordered my box from a US distributor via Discogs (I’m in the UK) and was disappointed to see that one corner of the actual outer box was crumpled and torn. I’m obsessive-compulsive enough for this to really bug me. I’d happily pay a nominal fee for a new mint copy of just the outer box. Is this something anyone here believes DGM would be open to?

Jim.

8. privit1

privit1 Senior Member

With the box being still available from dgm and burning shed did you get it below cost ?

I would just sit back and enjoy the magnificence of the set and prey that one day other bands would take so much care over reissuing material and at such a reasonable cost

9. Robin Redbreast

I was making a big saving: shipping from US to UK included I think it cost me just under £100GBP. However, I got stung for import tax to the tune of £21 so I probably just about broke even. Wished I’d just bitten the bullet and ordered direct from Burning Shed (as I just did for the Thrak box). Do you think it’s worth a punt with DGM for a replacement Sailors Tales outer box?

I’m working my way backwards through this thread, and one thing I’ve yet to see mentioned is that ‘A Peacemaking Stint Unrolls’ was not included as a bonus track on the Islands disc within the set, but is included on the Blu-Ray. I love this brief excerpt from what would be ‘Larks’ Tongues’...

10. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Wonderful music. And I'm so glad that USA doesn't ever tax consumer import goods :)

11. Robin Redbreast

I’m pleased to report that I emailed Burning Shed and offered to pay a nominal amount for a replacement outer box for the Sailors Tales set and they said they would send me one gratis. Wonderful folks! :agree::righton:

Joti Cover, Runicen, Jimbino and 10 others like this.
  12. Kalli

Kalli Forum Resident

Just realized the Luzy In The Sky With Diamonds reference at the end of Ladies Of The Road from the Preoria recording. A funny little finding.

albertop likes this.
  13. SaltyDawg

SaltyDawg Well-Known Member

Thank you for posting this! I found the URL, on the back of the little Free Trade Hall concert ticket replica.

14. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

Finally got the Sailors Tails box and just checked out the contents. Unfortunately, I have two copies of discs 22 through 24 and I'm missing discs 19 to 21. Sigh....

15. WLL

WLL Popery Of Mopery

...Peoria in the USA or Pretoria in SA?

="Kalli, post: 19600685, member: 69151"]Just realized the Luzy In The Sky With Diamonds reference at the end of Ladies Of The Road from the Preoria recording. A funny little finding.[/QUOTE]

16. Pim

Pim Forum Resident

Does anyone know why the track is sometimes listed as "The Sailor's Tale" and sometimes "Sailor's Tale"?

17. onlyconnect

onlyconnect The prose and the passion

Someone should definitely write an article about this though it is of little interest :)

Tim

NumberEight and Haggis Wampovich like this.
  18. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

It seems to have been revised a bit in between the Zoom Club performances and its recording in the studio later in '71, maybe they dropped "The" from the title at that point

So we have:

- "The Sailor's Tale" (or as Boz calls it "You Say That to All the Sailors"!!) in various early performances
    - "Sailor's Tale" (revised arrangement for the album recording & subsequent performances)
    - Sailors' Tales (box set title)

Joti Cover likes this.
  19. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Oh I just checked and "The" comes back for the February–March '72 live recordings in America. But NOT the Summit Studios version... curiouser and curiouser

20. Jimbino

Jimbino Goad Kicker, Music Lover

Be sure to contact DGM to get your missing discs.

21. Jmac1516

Jmac1516 Forum Resident

Yes. They will make it right ASAP!

22. Timjosephuk

Timjosephuk Forum Resident

I'm a bit late to this thread, and haven't got through all 35 pages, but I have a quick enquiry re the 12x12 LP sleeve facsimiles. My box contained Poseidon and Lizard, but not Islands (or Earthbound). Did everyone else get those? If not, it seems odd that those are the only 2 albums up to Thrak not to have one. If so, I guess it's too late to write to Burning Shed/DGM :(

23. putney_swope

putney_swope Forum Resident

No I only had Poseidon and Lizard in mine. I just assumed the box cover was the front of Islands and Earthbound was too mundane.

The 80s box had no LP sleeve prints at all unless you ordered direct from DGM I believe.

SaltyDawg likes this.
  24. Timjosephuk

Timjosephuk Forum Resident

Oh right, thanks! You'd have thought they would have!

25. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

My Sailors only had 12 by 12 Wake and Lizard as well so I guess Earthbound and the Islands cover were/are not part of the set.
    The Discipline box had the 3 80s albums covers as 12 by 12 if ordered from Burning Shed in the UK who deal with the KC stuff here.
    I have to say I like having 12 by 12 cover replicas in the boxes.

Timjosephuk likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.