King Crimson "Sailors' Tales" Mega Box (November 2017)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by whiskeyvengeance, Sep 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joseph LeVie

Joseph LeVie Forum Resident

The question was regarding whether Earthbound was with Bruford and if so, why would it be included in an Islands set?

I see now it was from the Islands bunch.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2017
  2. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

[/QUOTE]
    Regarding the early German Zoom Club performances, those are decent quality soundboard recordings. The performances are a little ramshackle at this point, including the extended, raw takes on "A Sailor's Tale", but it's fascinating to hear this line up evolving. For the most part, these Islands era performances sound much, much better than the Muir era (and early part of '73). It's kind of surprising how bad Earthbound sounds when they definitely had some better sounding material to work with.

Runicen and Rne like this.
  3. Jimbino

Jimbino Goad Kicker, Music Lover

4. Joseph LeVie

Joseph LeVie Forum Resident

No, I'm very familiar with Bill Bruford's Earthworks. I always avoided Earthbound because everyone always spoke of how bad it sounded, but, I always thought it was an album with Larks' Toungues group.

5. Tristero

Cool, so we can get the quad version of Summit Studios this way without shelling out for the big box. I already have so much of the material here that I can't really justify shelling out for the full set, but this should be a nice compromise. I'll be curious to see the full listing for the expanded Earthbound here. Maybe they'll deliver a collection that shows this band at their best.

Billy Infinity likes this.
  6. Zongadude

Zongadude Music is the best

This is much more than an "Islands" era box set.
    It is the box sets for the "Posseidon", "Lizard" and "Islands" albums ALL IN ONE BOX ! :)

Just the presence of 5.1 and 24/96 stereo mixes of these three albums makes the box already vital.

And then there's stuff like the "Schizoid man" cd of "Ladies of the road", the "Earthbound" album, the "Summit studio" album ,an immense quantity of live recordings, a lot of studio outtakes, etc...
    WHAT'S NOT TO LIKE ? :D

If this is true that "This set presents the complete King Crimson recorded history of the period" than wow !
    Another box set in a collection that is starting to look like the best ever.

7. This box has been on my 'dream' list for a while now. The contents look promising and it looks like they're being comprehensive by including Earthbound (which isn't as awful as many say, but, then again, I'm used to bootleg quality recordings).

I believe these KC sets are the gold standard in terms of quality and presentation. I'm sure this will be on the same level as the others. I can't wait!

8. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

So excited about this that I am babbling at a few co-workers who had to hear me babble about the 80s box last year, and the Thrak box 2 years ago while they roll their eyes at me.

9. GregK

GregK I'm speechless

How disappointing. This era of Crimson is far and away the least interesting Crimson. Very little of this is worth returning to often, but hey an expanded Earthbound!
    I was so looking forward to a Double Duo box this year. I think I'll save the $190(!) for this and instead renew my 1000 club and keep exploring downloads while continuing to hope for a Double Duo set.

10. Zongadude

Zongadude Music is the best

And here I am being completely excited at the news of another KC huge box set coming up, and yet I haven't had the time to listen to everything in the Starless, the Road to red, the THRAK and the 80s box sets yet ! :laugh::doh::D

11. Maranatha5585

Maranatha5585 BELLA + RIP In Memoriam

I'm hot for this Sailor's Tale box!
    Pre-ordered... along with David Bowie's upcoming LP box today.

12. Bill Cormier

Bill Cormier Forum Resident

OK. Yeah, Earthbound was the Islands band (pre-Bruford).

drasil likes this.
  13. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

I've just remembered the live tracks from the Islands DVD. They were in fact sonically decent, and in some cases better. I'm in, then!

14. Tristero

Yeah, I would cut off my left pinky toe to have a few Muir era recordings that sounds this good!

Rne and audiotom like this.
  15. albertop

albertop Forum Resident

Surprisingly, we can now say that wasn't a joke:
    Earthbound expanded

"The album has been expanded ON CD & DVD
    CD features an expanded 12 track version of the original 5 track album.
    DVD features the 12 track expanded album in 24/96 hi-res stereo audio."

It's a separate release, and it will probably be included in the box set... :yikes::wtf:

That :laugh:

Rne likes this.
  16. Lands End Drums

Lands End Drums Forum Resident

Very excited for this one. Never managed to pick up the box for the debut, forget it now, hoping for some 59th anniversary treatment. Love the three Wetton era boxes dearly, my favorite era by far. The 80s box is pretty nice as well. Never picked up the Thrak box, info back and forth, not that big a fan of the era to justify the price but I'm sure I'd get a lot out of it. Enjoyed seeing the band a lot and have a signed poster framed on my bedroom wall much to my wife's lament!

17. audiotom

audiotom I can not hear a single sound as you scream

Hoping for the Euro 74 box

This box seems a tad pricey - I enjoy Summit Studios but I can barely keep up with the 73-74 boxes

Holding out to see some reviews

18. audiotom

audiotom I can not hear a single sound as you scream

I am glad I only bought a few Collectors Club releases
    Summit Studio sounds very nice

19. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

Yes, saw that. All its glory in hi rez.

20. giantleech

giantleech Lord of all fevers and plagues

Stoked to the max for this box. I'm hoping ImportCDs will have this listed soon, as I expect to see the lowest domestic price available on it from them.

Runicen and RiRiIII like this.
  21. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Sorry but I am one of those who would like Earthbound on blu-ray! Nuts I know. Re the debut album I have the box set version but would have no problem buying a new redone version of Court of the Crimson King with new content and blu-ray. This new forthcoming 1970-1972 box was a wonderful surprise.
    I keep hoping other bands (excluding Jethro Tull who also have a great reissue programme) copy the King Crimson ideas. Mr Fripp was streets ahead of the prog rock gang in the 1970s and he still is it would appear. We should have given him a knighthood long ago (along with Richard Thompson).

audiotom and willy like this.
  22. Pim

Pim Forum Resident

I've only got the Court and Larks' boxes... Still thinking about getting the other ones...

23. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

I feel like, out of all the nerdy, OCD, mega box set purchases I've splurged on, the Crimson sets have held more value than almost any of the others I can think of. There is a ton of content, and I have really actually truly gone through and listened to the content and am still rotating through their contents from time to time. For the most part with a box set like this I'll buy it and then give it a bit of attention before filing it away onto one of the shelves. I keep the KC sets in one of the cubicles on my stereo cabinet so I never have to dig too deep to access them.

Mr. H likes this.
  24. hallucalation

hallucalation Forum Resident

I would love if they reissue In The Court... 5 CD megabox. Costs insane money now!

25. opiumden

opiumden Forum Resident

50th Anniversary Box coming soon. Patience is a virtue my friend.

Electric Sydney likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.