King Crimson "Sailors' Tales" Mega Box (November 2017)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by whiskeyvengeance, Sep 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

I don't have the In The Court... box, I'm fine with the cd/dvd combo.
    The Larks' box features too many crappy sounding audience recordings to justify the purchase, so I'm just fine with the cd/dvd again.
    Starless is spectacular, a real treasure.
    I din't get Road to Red because there's not enough variation from to show from my taste, and I'm ok with The Great Deceiver and USA.
    On (And Off) The Road is great.
    Regardless the ones I don't have, I know all of them were done in the best possible way. A remarkable production work.
    I'm definitely going to get the upcoming one.

2. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

Absolutely! I'd expected an Islands-era box, but hadn't expected to be surprised (if, indeed, such a thing is possible).

3. Jason Michael

Jason Michael Senior Member

If you are patient you can get them for a decent price. I bought a sealed copy a month ago for $90 US dollars including shipping on Discogs. Not too bad.

4. hallucalation

hallucalation Forum Resident

Is this confirmed information or your thoughts?

5. Doctor Flang

Doctor Flang Forum Resident

As good as the Court box set was, it wasn't as immersive as the next ones, but of course there was not as much material available. The omission of the Fillmore West show was a bit odd, since it's the only sounboard recording from that line-up. If only the Fillmore East multitracks could be found...

opiumden likes this.
  6. Merrick

Merrick The return of the Thin White Duke

Is this the consensus on Road to Red? The Wetton era of Crim is my favorite, but for me the point of their live shows is to hear how they do things differently.

7. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

That's the way I feel about those shows. Of course shows are different, but the previous European tour featured more room for free improvisation.

drasil likes this.
  8. Merrick

Merrick The return of the Thin White Duke

I'll have to go find the thread for that box and read impressions there. These things aren't cheap!

9. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

A lot of the performances on this box are shorter opening sets where they didn't have as much time to stretch out and improvise and as Rne points out, there wasn't quite as much variation with the set list as certain old war horses had been retired (i.e. Larks' Tongues, Part 1). I also get the feeling that tensions within the band were getting more frayed on the American tour, where group cohesion was a little better previously. Of course, there are still a lot of great shows on the Road to Red box and even a more concise set would feature some impressive fireworks. By the end of the tour, they were hitting their stride more, getting back into extended improvisations again. If I had to pick only one, I'd go with Starless, but the Road to Red is definitely worth checking out too.

10. opiumden

opiumden Forum Resident

It's not 100% official as of now, but I have my source.
    Time will tell. I'll just say it's not just pure speculation.

11. Pim

Pim Forum Resident

Really? I see copies on Discogs from around 90 euros?

12. If this is indeed what this set is going to be count me in. This is the only Crimson live band that's not properly documented in my collection. This set is exactly what I need.

13. opiumden

opiumden Forum Resident

Link? The cheapest box on Discogs that I see is $111.11, and it's in VG+ condition.
    NMs and sealed copies are from $150.

14. gojikranz

gojikranz Forum Resident

ya the court box is definitely the weak link and like I was saying earlier could do with a update to include every live show available as well as blu ray audio. most of the extra discs in the box are items that new boxes put as bonus material on the blu rays so feels a bit much to have 3 different versions of the album on CD.

spruced up with a blu ray some extra live discs and a new audio documentary covering more of the sessions and nice sturdy packaging like the current boxes I think could make it a really great set.

Flaming Torch likes this.
  15. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

Wonder if the 12 track Earthbound will be available on iTunes?

16. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

If you've for the DVD-A set, Epitaph and the few CC releases from the original lineup, there really isn't much more content available on the box set. For the 50th, it probably will get a reboot to include Blu Ray, lime the other sets. Would expect them to tackle TCOL/TPTB next with all associated live material + video.

17. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

Oh, Lord. I really hope we don't get yet another edition of 'In The Court.' It's the one album I've bought more often than any other in my entire collection and I am sick and tired of buying it.

late 70's Canadian LP
    late 70's Japanese LP
    MFSL LP
    Polydor CD
    Definitive Edition CD
    30th CD
    OM CD
    box set

GregK and Flaming Torch like this.
  18. Boaz

Boaz Forum Resident

It's my favorite king crimson period. But it's pricey...

19. Bill Cormier

Bill Cormier Forum Resident

I am excited about the audition material, I believe both Elton John and Bryan Ferry tried out !!

Joti Cover and willy like this.
  20. Beeb Fader

Beeb Fader Forum Resident

Wouldn't that be something....

21. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

Also, I think some kid auditioned and passed-out on a chair (if I recall the story correctly) .

I'm really interested in all the auditon/rehearsal/studio outtakes. Certainly, this period was hell for Fripp.
    This is probably a gruelling set for him to re-visit, can't wait to read his liner notes.

22. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

There's a paragraph in the Sid Smith book about how the band used to amuse themselves by playing the tape of the fainting auditionee and laughing at it.

asdf35 and Beeb Fader like this.
  23. pmckeeaalaska

pmckeeaalaska Forum Resident

When they say "Limited Edition", how limited exactly?

24. Beeb Fader

Beeb Fader Forum Resident

Not THAT limited !

25. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Get the picture disc as well! I have kept all my first cds of the albums on the cds with numbering EG1 and onwards. (Also kept my early Roxy Music cds with similar numbering). All late 1980s prior to Frame by Frame. Probably no need to keep them save nostalgia.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.