King Crimson - "Starless - Live in Europe" box set confirmed

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DesertChaos, May 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kevin

kevin Senior Member

My replacement disc arrived today.......I also sent an email thanking Declan for sending the disc.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2016
  2. Did you send @Say It Right a PM and alert him? He's been wating for news on your replacement. I know I'll be able to enjoy Christmas even more now, too. :whistle:

Say It Right likes this.
  3. kevin

kevin Senior Member

He'll see my post i'm sure that will suffice.

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  4. That's right. :tiphat:

5. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

Whew. That's a relief. I couldn't wait another day.

@Shvartze Shabbos

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  6. :biglaugh:

Say It Right likes this.
  7. opiumden

opiumden Forum Resident

What's the difference between Concertgebouw Amsterdam show included in the first blu-ray (as 2014 Steven Wilson Stereo Mix) and the same show included in the second blu-ray (mixed & produced by SW)?

8. thuleatan

thuleatan Forum Resident

Hmm, doesn't the latter presentation have some kind of quad/surround thing going on?

9. kevin

kevin Senior Member

Yes it does.

10. MoonPool

MoonPool Senior Member

I got my replacement disc last Friday, and just got to hear it Tuesday night. I need to send Declan a thank you note as well.

Runicen likes this.
  11. Clauds

Clauds Active Member

I received my replacement disc yesterday - my thanks to Declan, and also to the people who posted here and alerted me to both the problem and the solution.

Runicen likes this.
  12. Todd68

Todd68 I'm Listening

I have looked through a few threads about the disc issue. I actually just placed an order for the box and am wondering if this is only a problem with early production boxes? In one of the threads this was stated to be the case. Does anyone have a perfectly working disc? The BR discs are what I'm looking forward to the most. Thanks for any info.

13. Joe McKee

Joe McKee Forum Resident

The box is limited to a single production run so I assume all boxes would be the same. I just purchased a month or two ago - disc 23 wouldn't play. Declan and team replaced it promptly so it wasn't really an issue.

Todd68 likes this.
  14. Todd68

Todd68 I'm Listening

I ordered a new box from ImportCDs. I'm assuming that Declan is part of the company in charge of production. So it isn't an issue where you bought it as the manufacturer is taking responsibility. Thanks for the info. Appreciated.

15. Dave Garrett

Dave Garrett Senior Member

Yes, Declan is with Panegyric Recordings. If it turns out that your box contains the defective disc and you need to obtain a replacement disc, his contact info can be found in post 860 of the current thread:

King Crimson - "Starless - Live in Europe" box set confirmed »

16. Todd68

Todd68 I'm Listening

Thank you. I appreciate the information. Looking forward to this box set. Loving the Road to Red as well.

17. Quincy

Quincy Senior Member

I waited on this one as I felt I hadn't fully digested The Road To Red and I had bought most of the downloads in a show of support years ago, and the KCCCs. But I do appreciate hi-res and this morning I was alerted through camelx3 that it could be had from Amazon US for $133 shipped. So I guess the old KCCCs & downloads can become car copies. As of 10:30 AM Pacific Coast time Amazon US had 4 more at this price, just in case others in the same situation need a nudge.

Ray29, Runicen and Shvartze Shabbos like this.
  18. Ray29

Ray29 Forum Resident

I also paid about $130 last summer for this incredible box set. My favorite of all the KC box sets. So much to dig deep into. Amazing

19. Quincy

Quincy Senior Member

I recall getting a notice last year and I passed at the time, again just because I felt I wasn't ready yet with so much other Crim & music. But now I'm looking forward to this as I am entering another one of those "all things Crimson" periods. The Thrak box kind of started it although oddly enough it would have fit my mood better had it been released a few years earlier. For quite some time the double trio is where I'd typically go first followed by the Starless/Red group. When Xmas rolled around I justified upgrading to the On (& Off) The Road box by giving my nephew Absent Lovers, a KCCC and a DVD. That reinvigorated my love for the quartet, as it was fun to be able to hear the parts more easily than in the double trio. But as you know for Crim omnivores, one band version can lead to another, and it felt stupid not get the Starless box, whereas before I could be cheap or overly concerned that I still haven't listened to some of the shows from the Road To Red twice. :laugh:

Runicen likes this.
  20. khronikos

khronikos Forum Resident

Out of all the boxsets which one has the best sound quality. I don't have money to buy more than one, and the Starless one looks really good and sounds good from what I can tell, but I really have no idea.

Which one has the best blurays? Thanks for any help.

21. boboquisp

boboquisp Magic Prism Eyes

I like 'em all, but here's a link to a nicely priced Road To Red set in our own CD sales forum if you please...

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/king-crimson-the-road-to-red-box-set.682552/

22. The Starless set gets my vote but Road to Red is great too. If you get one, chances are you'll eventually want both.

John Kelman and Archtop like this.
  23. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

I too vote for Starless; that early '74 European tour was a monster. Plus, you get several great Dr. Diamond versions; something you don't get in the Road to Red box (although there is a version or two, I believe). The Audio Curios disc #26 in the Starless box also has a June '73 version of Dr. Diamond from Atlanta that should, by all measures, melt your teeth (along with producing various mutations to any farm animals nearby).

24. Marty T

Marty T Stereo Fan

Just stay away from the "The Complete Larks Tongues in Aspic" box - too many audience recordings sourced from dubs done on early '70's cassette decks. It may be of interest to some but if sound quality is an issue, it's the bottom of the heap.

Ray29 and Haggis Wampovich like this.
  25. iwokeinrelief

iwokeinrelief Forum Resident

Yeah, sound quality is pretty lousy, but those shows are incredible. Wish better sources existed, but am happy the recordings exist at all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.