KING CRIMSON The ConstruKction of Light DELUXE BOX - some details (Heaven and Earth deluxe) *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Adam Pajda, Jun 14, 2018.

1. ermylaw

ermylaw Forum Resident

If they’re including The Power to Believe stuff, they should call this set The ConstruKction of Belief.

I’ll be buying it, whatever they call it, though.

Runicen, rednedtugent and JediJoker like this.
  2. Cheevyjames

Cheevyjames Forum Resident

I'm very curious to hear a partially re-recorded TCOL. When the album came out I loved it, but it's fallen in my eyes the past 18 years. It's really the silly lyrics that haven't aged well. As for the live ProjeKcts, I'm totally game for the full P1, P3 & P4 shows. I only have what was released in the ProjeKcts box and whatever came out through the KCCC so I wouldn't be duplicating much. P2 I don't need any more than I already have, but the others I would pour over every nuance. I caught P3 live and it was pretty mind blowing.

3. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

I like Belew's broken-poetry wordplay. But I do believe Elephant Talk is a misstep. First impressions count, and I think ET all by itself diminished the album for more than a few fans. Too self-referential and goofy, esp for an opening Crim track.

To paraphrase Tom Hanks: "there's no 'fun' in King Crimson."

[​IMG]

I'm over it; one bad apple and all. If nothing else, TCOL sports 3 world-beaters (TCOL, LTIA4 and the otherworldly FraKctured). I'm really looking forward to the re-work (surround please).

ProjeKct X is a superb companion piece; hope it gets a surround mix too. The abovementioned Rieflin pieces would be a nice touch; at this point, those can be formally classified as ProjeKcts.

Not sure what I want out of this box. I've got a fair chunk of ProjeKcts and several live shows. Saw them several times, including P2, P4. Best Crimprovisers of them all, including Larks. I guess I want surround and remixes, and a fat handful of top shows, kinda like the Thrak box.

Hmmm, I do believe the old boy has finally played one tritone too many...

[​IMG]

Cheevyjames, Runicen and Jimbino like this.
  4. JediJoker

JediJoker Audio Engineer/Enthusiast

Can't believe I never realized that the interior gatefold features The Shocker. :biglaugh:
    • The Power to ConstruKct?
    • The ConstruKction of Power?
    • The Power of ConstruKction?
    • The Power to ConstruKct Light?
    Not for this fan. I have a hard time seeing it as a sore spot for most Crimheads.

Eddy Baggins and Runicen like this.
  5. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

This is me as well. This box will clearly be essential for me ... something to look forward to for the end of the year.

6. GregK

GregK I'm speechless

ProzaKc Blues?

gd0 likes this.
  7. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

That, and hearing about an alien's ***** don't really enhance the overall listening experience.

8. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

I love ET. I love ProzaKc Blues. Glad i am not that easily put of lyrics with a bit of humour.

Phoenician and Instant Dharma like this.
  9. carledwards

carledwards Forum Resident

Bring it on!

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  10. You've described exactly why I like it so much.

Eddy Baggins likes this.
  11. gd0

Thank you.

Brain not work good this weak...

12. Dave Garrett

Dave Garrett Senior Member

You know, I've had ITCOTCK on vinyl for probably close to 40 years, and not once had I thought of that until you pointed it out. Like the reel change marks on a 35mm film print, once seen, never unseen.

Judge Judy and JediJoker like this.
  13. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

The syndrome has been worsening. We started off with the Larks box, then got the truncated Starless, and The Road to Red. Just to keep us on our toes, the Thrak box was exactly what it said on the side of the can. ...And then they gave us On and Off the Road, completely breaking the pattern of referencing album titles.

Maybe this next one should just be called "Wallets Out, Please," or "Robert Says 'Hi'." :winkgrin:

At least they buried that thing in gelatin. I mean, who wants to see that flapping in the breeze? :laugh:

14. I don’t know about that, but if I don’t buy it thereby creating a hole in my KC box set collection as opposed to my wallet, I’ll surley be a candidate for Prozac. :cry:

Runicen likes this.
  15. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

It's actually quite a collection for those of us who have been keeping up with the boxes. Certainly makes whatever is released next kind of mandatory.

agn, Zongadude, Runicen and 1 other person like this.
  16. I have em’ all. That’s my point.

SJP likes this.
  17. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Thats Adrian. He played with Zappa, Bowie, Heads and Crimson in consecutive order.

Respect.

diderot, Phoenician and Kim Olesen like this.
  18. jacethecrowl

jacethecrowl Forum Resident

A very sensible idea to include these, at least the latter, though I guess the aim wasn't KC research and development. They should just bring it up to 2008 while they're at it and call it a decade (though then we'd have to revisit the horror of ProjeKct Six).

I found it very easy to skip some of the boxes, and while TCOL is the one KC album I've never actually owned, its a fascinating period to me, much more so than Thrak. I'm best acquainted with this stuff through Heavy ConstruKction and some of the 2001 shows, and lyrically, I'm only let down by ProzaKc and the Larks IV Coda. Frying Pan, Oyster Soup and Larks IV are all terrific, and I welcome a wholesale re-imagining of the studio tracks. And live, I'd could get by on a curated representation of every song played in those tours ("Deception Of The Thrush" is fine but I don't need 20 versions of it) and all of the improvs and ProjeKcts that can be colleKcted of course.

Depending on how it shapes up, I'm very likely going to preorder this thing.

Runicen and Instant Dharma like this.
  19. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

I'd forgotten about ProjeKct Six. Was it that bad? It passed me by completely at the time.

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  20. opiumden

opiumden Forum Resident

It's great. Check it out! It's also available on dgmlive.com.

21. jacethecrowl

jacethecrowl Forum Resident

I haven't gone back to the recordings, but at the time made an insane drive to Boston to see P6 in person. For two guys who have played together for so long, simpatico they weren't -- and Fripp struggled to conjure any magic over Belew's leaden beats. I'm as openhearted as anyone to the spirit of the ProjeKcts but I got the sense there was zero preparation for the shows.

22. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

Well, you are not speaking for this fan :)

What do you base this opinion on? Show me a poll or I don't believe it.

Eddy Baggins, JediJoker and SJP like this.
  23. gd0

Well, I don't have any citations – or polls o_O . I only remember a fair chunk of negative commentary in the now-long-defunct Elephant Talk forum, and whatever the other one was. Oddly, 2000 AD was a long time ago.

I think part of the angst came from the fact that Bruford and Levin were absent. Ade took a few hits.

Heck, I don't hate ProzaKc Blues; always enjoyed it live, if only for the skin-defoliating Belew solos. I like his humor touches here and there in the context of Crim. I just think this one is a little too light-hearted to be used as an album opener. When Crim appears, the "otherness" should as well.

One man's opinion.

If I haven't made it clear, I love TCOL; the drums need revised production, and it appears they'll get it. Furthermore this is my favorite Crim lineup. Yup, even over Larks. Better improvs. And I go all the way back to the beginning.

"I like it!"

24. opiumden

opiumden Forum Resident

I haven't witnessed P6 live. I envy you for the experience.
    At the time KC was indeed in limbo, that much is correct. I didn't expect P2 or KC when listening to P6, maybe that's why it worked for me.

25. whiskeyvengeance

whiskeyvengeance Forum Resident

Based on this post it looks like TPtB was/is going to be part of the scope of this next box? That would make more sense considering they condensed three whole albums/tours into the 81-84 boxset.

In any event, here's my wish-list for the set:
    • A sequel to the Heavy ConstruKction improv disc, mixed from the original multitracks (a la "Attakathrak"). The European improvs were pretty well covered by HC, so focusing on improvs the 2000 US and Japan tours would be ideal.
    • Video of the 2003 Montreux show in HD (realize this may be a longshot with the potential licensing issues at play).
    • Unreleased BootlegTV footage. We've gotten quite a bit of it on YouTube already but it would be cool to have a complete show or two.
    • A good selection of 2000-2003 shows mixed from the original multitracks. It still blows my mind that they opted to just use the soundboards for a mainstream release like HC, and other than Eyes Wide Open we're limited to soundboards for the 2003 tours.