King Crimson - The reConstruKction Of Light coming soon?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by opiumden, Nov 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OnTheRoad

OnTheRoad Not of this world

Always thought TCOL sounded very thin. I first heard it with Robert Fripp at a Q & A in Nashville about 5 months before it came out. I don't remember it sounding so thin at that Q & A. Maybe they remixed it or just mastered it thinly for the regular release.

Hmmm...

However....I enjoyed the versions on their live Heavy Construkction recorded in Europe just after their 'warmups' in a small club in Nashville that I attended back in 2000. This release was an anomaly in that they recorded the album before 'working it out' on the road as they usually did before. I think they should've waited, ala the Heavy Construkction release, to record it later...or just used the live versions for the album.

2. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

Given that it's only within the last two or so years that anyone in the band received any royalties for ConstruKction, I'm not surprised there was some pressure to record and release at the time.

3. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

Yes.

Merge threads, please. This topic should get a lot of looks.

4. kenticus

kenticus Forum Resident

5. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

Wow. Wonder if the 2008 concert is from a multitrack or just a soundboard.

6. MichaelCPE

MichaelCPE Forum Resident

I've created a new topic for discussion of best prices and shipping for this box set.

Note that most of the discussion about this box is in the topic KING CRIMSON The ContruKction of Light DELUXE BOX - some details. So my pricing and shipping topic gives a link to that topic and not this one.

My hope is that one topic can discuss the content of the box and the other just prices and shipping. That way those not interested in pricing and shipping won't have to trawl through lots of irrelevant (to them) posts.

Hopefully at least some people will think this is a good idea :).

7. bluerondo

bluerondo Forum Resident

Does anyone know who’s doing the 5.1? Hopefully not Jacko. IMHO he jacked up the 5.1 of THRAK something awful.

8. opiumden

opiumden Forum Resident Thread Starter

David Singleton.

9. DPM

DPM Senior Member

I gave the stereo remix on the CD a first listen today. Even with the acoustic drums this continues to be the one K.C. album that is a tough slog for me to get through. Overall, it does sound better, but something still sounds off to my ears. Some of the mixes seem to work against the songs themselves. In particular, Frakctured doesn't really gel for this listener. Maybe the surround mix on the DVD Audio will do the trick.

Runicen likes this.
  10. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

Out of curiosity, how long has it been since you listened to the original mix?

I'm not trying to repeat the point or change hearts and minds here, but I really think the original grooved far better than the new version and hearing the changes made in the new mix really emphasized how well it did work for me.

And, so it's said, even though I liked the original album, I welcomed the remix and was looking forward to it. It just didn't land for me.

11. DPM

DPM Senior Member

It's been awhile. I agree that the original mix did groove better, but it was so abrasive it was hard to listen to. This new mix is easier on the ears, but the groove has been lost on some of the tunes--particularly Frakctured. I'm curious as to what the 5.1 mix brings to the table.

Runicen likes this.
  12. dubious title

dubious title Forum Resident

Let my guard down and bought the expensive vinyl. This record is an absolute disaster. Thought the remix and new drums might help a little, I now suspect it's made a nearly unlistenable album even worse. Nasty digital tones and sounds, needlessly cluttered mix and arrangements abound. Exausting and familiar cross picking work outs never stop, and the most annoying facets of Belew's writing are in full force. At this point a band running on fumes and trying to cling on to relevancy. I should have left the CD on the shelf where I hadn't touched it in more than a decade. Let this be a warning!

13. opiumden

opiumden Forum Resident Thread Starter

I respectfully disagree. The reConstruKction of Light is better than the original, not that the original is inherently flawed.
    Nasty digital tones and sounds, cross-picking guitar works (including Trey's amazing Warr guitar sections/basslines) are what makes this record good.
    I think this record was just not your cup of tea.

albertop and Joseph Sipocz like this.
  14. Jamsterdammer

Jamsterdammer The Great CD in the Sky

Well said. I think the reConstruKtion definitely improves upon the original, but if you didn't like the original then it is hard to imagine you'd like the remix. I actually quite like the album and think of it as mid-tier KC.

Chrome_Head likes this.
  15. dubious title

dubious title Forum Resident

At a dinner party, (Robert Fripp) reprimanded me for eating too much of his cheese. To his displeasure, I ate another piece…forty years on, I’ve never been invited back.’

A quote from the new Steve Hackett autobiography. It's kind of how I feel about this record, but Robert ate too much of my cheese.

I have given Robert and the band much of my time and money. He/they gave so much back. I'd like to return this though, it's a total stinker.

16. ratstack

ratstack Forum Resident

Man, how great is this album? I never cared for the original, but the drums redo made this a classic for me. Pat is a beast.

[​IMG]

opiumden, gd0, krimson and 2 others like this.
  17. krimson

krimson Forum Resident

I agree, I like the drums on this one for the most part compared to the original, makes the album a much nicer listen I think.

ratstack likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.