King Crimson "The Road To Red" up for pre-order

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Meng, Aug 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Meng

Meng Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. privit1

privit1 Senior Member

Too much duplicate stuff for me to spring for that price much as I love the album. happy with what I have from that era

TheDailyBuzzherd likes this.
  3. ronton99

ronton99 Forum Resident

Good lord.
    Who could ever listen to the whole thing?
    I want one.

4. TwentySmallCigars

TwentySmallCigars Forum Resident

I ordered this immediately. Can't wait to hear the five concerts in Hi-Def Blu-Ray audio.

It's pricey but it will sell out quickly.

5. jpmosu

jpmosu a.k.a. Mr. Jones

How bad is my music addiction that I think, "150 pounds--that's not too bad!" :)

noname74 and Sordel like this.
  6. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

£150 doesn't seem bad for what they're giving you, and that Blu-Ray is indeed very tempting. Still, I think it's more Crim than I can handle ... at any price.

blackmoreb35 and jpmosu like this.
  7. ribors

ribors Forum Resident

I agree. It's very tempting, but like the Larks' box, I will pass. I love King Crimson live and this era was their finest IMO, but I already have The Great Deceiver, The Nightwatch, and probably four of the KCCC official boots from this period. At $150 I still wouldn't buy it, let alone £150.

Billy Infinity and tcj like this.
  8. brew ziggins

brew ziggins Forum Prisoner

Huge, huge KC fan here, but golly that's a big expensive slab of often redundant music. I'd rather have five or six (or whatever the right number is) discs of just the improvs.

Not sure what to do here. Not seeing $225 + S&H worth of marginal utiltity to my already extensive collection. But it will bug the hell out of me not to own it.

blackmoreb35 and NorthNY Mark like this.
  9. Music Geek

Music Geek Confusion will be my epitaph

Also available to pre-order is the 40th anniversary edition of USA which is surprising... no 5.1 mix before you get too excited :)

10. Meng

Uh, and now the pre-order page seems to be blank - though the 2-CD version is still there.

Hmmmm.

11. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

I ju$t can't.

The good news: at that price point, they will surely release the remix as a standalone; that's my must-have.

I'd like to think this will sell out even without my participation. Fripp has done a great job of archiving and distributing his alter-ego, KC. Fans have been able to load up nicely. And the time for this may be right, if in fact King Crimson has ceased to exist.

12. Meng

Billy Infinity likes this.
  13. gd0

Well, that was quick. Thanx.

14. frank3si

frank3si Forum Resident

This does get a bit complex to sort out. Essentially, the 5.1 surround mix Wilson and Fripp did for the 40th is one entity, and this stereo mix (available for pre-order) by the two is new, correct?

15. tcj

tcj Senior Member

I am a huge fan. I have 80 or 90 King Crimson titles (consisting of a lot of material from the very period this box covers - I don't need more!) and I couldn't justify the Larks' box. I certainly can't justify this. I think DGM is off their rocker. They've lost touch with fans with what fans want and need.

There was a time when I used to think how great it would be to have all of this stuff available, but I never thought of the downside... this. I think they'd make a lot more money selling simpler packages of this Red remix paired with just the Blurays of live material (and a way to get the audio off there for iPod use) plus a a very limited collector's box like the current version. Now I'm not going to buy the Road To Red OR the remixed Red and may skip USA as well. Losing a lot of money there.

16. tcj

tcj Senior Member

Well, the Larks' box is still available, so that can't have been said to have been an overwhelming success. If it was truly successful, it should have sold out pretty quickly - 7000 copies (I believe that was the number made) is a pretty small run for a band this relatively large. The price was wrong, or maybe the contents were wrong for the price. I don't see the Road To Red being a smarter decision at a higher price and even less truly intriguing material (at least Larks' box had the sessions disc).

I really think DGM should have done the fans right and finished out the 40th Anniversary series first and then gone back to revisit whatever titles they felt like touching on again. I'm pretty annoyed at having to wait who-knows-how-long for Beat, ToaPP, and Thrak. For all we know, next year we'll just get another rehash box like this rather than a step forward in the anniversary series. I wouldn't be surprised to see a Discipline box, not at all. I have to admit, I probably wouldn't be able to resist that one.

17. Doug Sulpy

Doug Sulpy Forum Resident

Well, that's interesting... the link from burning shed seems to be gone!

18. luftwaffle

luftwaffle Forum Resident

19. gd0

Well, I certainly agree about finishing out the 40th collection. That's been a foot-dragger; won't be long before we're closer to the 50th than the 40th.

But the boxes seem like well-thought, thorough collections, esp for those who want a final-final optical disc collection of 70s Crim. Even if there is overlap. Granted it's not for everybody. And with diverse fan preferences, there isn't really a consensus to produce and distribute hard copies of particular shows, enough to predict a return on investment. Seems to me the best solution for concerts is 24/96 downloads, period. Maybe an occasional 5.1 disc release.

By the time the 50th gets here, there may be little interest in optical discs from anyone, never mind King Crimson.

20. Meng

21. leefarber

leefarber Senior Member

Ordered! Along with the USA CD/DVD set. (And the XTC and Yes releases in both formats :goodie::crazy:.

22. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

23. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

Well I'm a little confused about a few things; first, why would you get both The Road to Red and the USA Live CD/DVD since AFAICT the latter is included in the former? And am I reading correctly that the difference between the Burning Shed version and the DGM version is between a T-shirt or the 4 coasters (and the price, of course)?

The big attraction to me is the hires multitrack live stuff on the Blurays

simon-wagstaff likes this.
  24. boboquisp

boboquisp Magic Prism Eyes

I think I'll save the cash for the remaining 40th Anniversary releases. I've managed to survive without the Lark's Tongues box.

blackmoreb35 likes this.
  25. prof. stoned

prof. stoned Forum Member

21 discs. This would be far over-the-top, if Red wouldn't have been a masterpiece of epic proportions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.