King Crimson to tour US in 2017

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by gillcup, Jan 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Though for the most part, their (vocal) material wasn't done by future Crimson lineups before this tour, aside from everybody doing "Schizoid Man."

Also worth noting that Adrian didn't do the spoken part of "Neurotica" onstage either, it was on tape.

2. Cheevyjames

Cheevyjames Forum Resident

I hated that after 1982 Belew used a tape for the verses on Neurotica. It was done really well on the '82 tour with him singing the whole thing.

Crungy likes this.
  3. jacethecrowl

jacethecrowl Forum Resident

They even performed it without the barker's narration at all, but what I'm saying is that Jakko isn't even singing all of 'sung' parts.

4. Marvin

Marvin Senior Member

Yeah, I certainly wouldn't want Jakko to try to sing the narration in Thela Hun Ginjeet.

5. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

How about Jakko sings whatever he wants to sing because that's his right?

Belew may pipe up 'hey I didn't say you could do that' but frankly this objection is immaterial

ermylaw likes this.
  6. Billy Infinity

Billy Infinity Beloved aunt

I'm not sure what Adrian hopes to gain by stopping the post-Belew Crimson from singing his songs. Wouldn't the simplest solution be for AB Power Trio to continue playing anything they like while King Crimson be afforded the same opportunity?

footlooseman and dlokazip like this.
  7. GregK

GregK I'm speechless

there's no lyrics. big difference

8. opiumden

opiumden Forum Resident

What difference? They are both musical contributions. If lyrics are to be seen as a lyricist's property, melody should be seen as a songwriter's.
    Adrian is self-contradicting himself here. Not to depreciate his contribution to KC, but he's apparently full of himself this time.

Robert Fripp is King Crimson, as Trent Reznor is Nine Inch Nails, as Steven Wilson is Porcupine Tree, as Michael Gira is Swans.. etc.
    Of course there were others who significantly contributed to the sound of the band overall, but without these people the band won't even exist.
    King Crimson can perform their back catalog. End of discussion.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2017
  9. kenticus

kenticus Forum Resident

chicago is available for pre-sale! nothing yet on iTunes availability, but Radical III is now called The Errors!

Live In Chicago, June 28th, 2017

looks like it's 10/13 release date per burningshed.....duly pre-ordered!

10. brew ziggins

brew ziggins Forum Prisoner

Yup, ordered, can't hardly wait. Best Level 5 Ever, or so they say...

11. agn

agn Forum Resident

Breaking news:
    King Crimson - Official Bootleg: Live in Chicago, June 28th, 2017

Two CD set, taken from the band’s most recent US 2017 tour.

Disc One:

Intro: Scape Bells
    Larks’ Tongues In Aspic, Part One
    Neurotica
    The Errors
    Cirkus
    The Lizard Suite:
    a) Dawn Song
    b) Last Skirmish
    c) Prince Rupert’s Lament
    Fallen Angel
    Larks’ Tongues In Aspic, Part Two
    Islands
    Pictures of a City

Disc Two:

Indiscipline
    The ConstruKction of Light
    Easy Money
    The Letters
    Interlude
    Meltdown
    Radical Action II
    Level Five
    Starless
    Heroes
    21st Century Schizoid Man

“If we are looking for a KC live (show); Chicago was exceptional” – Robert Fripp

“One of our best” – Tony Levin

1) Musicians know when a gig has really worked; when all the practicing, rehearsing, playing, set-list comes together in a particular time & venue with a particular audience.

2) King Crimson is a band that’s best experienced live & if you can’t be there, the live album is the next best thing.

3) So, when musicians unanimously say that a concert was special, it’s time to pay attention & plan a release for the broader community of fans as soon as is possible.

King Crimson evolves, changes, morphs as relentlessly as the Soundscapes which open each concert. Since the 2016 tour of Europe, the band has become a double quartet line-up with Bill Rieflin’s return from sabbatical as keyboard player & Jeremy Stacey’s confirmation as a permanent member/third drummer. This allows for the inclusion of an ever more complex & compelling array of material, far more than can be contained in a single concert. With options for up to three keyboard players in the current line-up – Fripp & Stacey both have setups alongside their respective guitar/drum rigs - the majority of Lizard is performed live for the first time ever, likewise Fallen Angel from Red is making its first ever concert appearance/live recording, Cirkus envelops the listener in sound, the beautiful title track from Islands closes the first set, while staples from the 1980s line-up Indiscipline and Neurotica appear in very different arrangements. New piece, The Errors makes its recorded debut & current audience favourite Heroes appears in the encores at the end of Disc Two. Add to this list of concert newcomers & returnees, live staples of the recent tours such as Starless, Easy Money, a recording of Level Five described as the “best ever single performance” of the piece by King Crimson biographer Sid Smith & a storming ending provided by the evergreen 21st Century Schizoid Man & it’s easy to see why the band was so pleased with this gig & the audience went home happy.

Presented as a King Crimson Collectors’ Club special edition, King Crimson Live in Chicago is packaged in a media-book style hard cover 2CD edition with a 24 pages booklet featuring photographs by Tony Levin, introductory notes by Robert Fripp & photos/production notes by KC producer/manager David Singleton.

King Crimson continues to re-invent & re-imagine both itself & its music; the kind of thing that once would have been called a “progressive” approach. It’s an approach that has benefited band members and listeners alike from January 1969 to the present – September 2017. The band is on tour in the USA in October & November 2017, with a European tour planned for 2018.

King Crimson: Live in Vienna, 2016 – originally scheduled for release this autumn will be released outside of Japan in early 2018, while DGM Japan will issue Live in Chicago early in 2018.

footlooseman and KDubATX like this.
  12. ermylaw

ermylaw Forum Resident

Looks good.

13. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

Shall I assume - which I'm loathe to do - that the `Live In Chicago' set will be widely
    available.....like the Toronto CDs?

14. kenticus

kenticus Forum Resident

they released that version of level 5 as a soundboard for free on DGM like 2 weeks after the show! it's pretty damn good - one of the tunes where you can really hear Rieflin adding in some additional stuff that was not there already. Re-listened to it today, and it's quite the ripping version!

as for how widely available.....i'd assume it'll be like toronto. That said, i pre-ordered it because for crim i like having the physical copy. nothing yet on if / when pre-order will be up on iTunes.

15. brew ziggins

brew ziggins Forum Prisoner

Oh! Dude! I forgot! I have that! There was an Easy Money released around then that went pretty deep, too.

16. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

I'm waiting to hear download news, myself. Toronto worked out well in thi$ house.

17. kenticus

kenticus Forum Resident

toronto i remember they had available to order as a download immediately - so upon order you got Easy Money, but then had to wait until release date for the download of the full show. toronto of course also had a physical release.

assuming it'll make its way to iTunes eventually.....that said after purchasing the Radical Action boxset and seeing what a lovely package it was, kind of determined that any future KC release i'd like the physical copy of. that and i've no issue putting additional $$ in these guys' pockets to fund this crazy operation they have!

18. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

I seem to remember downloading the whole show, lossless, prior to physical release, but I could be mistaken.

Nahhh... lossless for me, period.

Radical packaging is lovely indeed, but now that I've built a bulletproof server, I'm happy to ditch the collectors items and save a few bucks.

It's not like I haven't thrown thou$and$ at King Crimson.

Since 1969.

:laugh:

19. GreggF

GreggF Forum Resident

On Fripp's FB page today:

Very happy to report that i have just spoken to Brother Belew and addressed various issues beginning with B and D. Ade and me have pledged to continue a convention of pumping down monster margaritas, both in Mount Juliet and here in Bredonborough, where Slinky Toes Willcox makes a mean margarita herself. Adrian has also agreed to be King Crimson's Ninth Man. Who knows what the future holds for this strange outfit?

ermylaw, Ray29 and drasil like this.
  20. Fletch

Fletch Senior Member

Is Belew joining KC on tour?

21. opiumden

opiumden Forum Resident

No. He's an "inactive" Ninth Man of King Crimson.

22. lambfan68

lambfan68 Forum Resident

That post doesn't really sound like Fripp.

23. Billy Infinity

Billy Infinity Beloved aunt

Based on my own takeaways and impressions of his diary entries over the past twenty years or so, it sounds exactly like Fripp.

dlokazip, DesertChaos, GreggF and 3 others like this.
  24. lambfan68

lambfan68 Forum Resident

If you say so. I only check out his diary only now and then. The whole "pumping down monster margaritas" thing just struck me as very un-Fripp.

Dahabenzapple likes this.
  25. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

Google is your friend.

Basement Belewbeloid Mount Juliet Tennessee

Billy Infinity, drasil and rtalwani like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.