King Crimson to tour US in 2017

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by gillcup, Jan 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rzahl

rzahl Forum Resident

I just got my tix for the Austin show. Anyone else see them on this tour? I've read that they are delving into the back catalog with good results.

2. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Not sure where to pose this question, sorry but my searches failed to yield an answer.

Is King Crimson done with studio albums?

I mean, some of the new material shows promise, but I'd like it consolidated on a proper studio album. Am I in the minority here ...?

Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
  3. jacethecrowl

jacethecrowl Forum Resident

I don't think we should expect one. From a very recent interview...

King Crimson doesn’t adhere to “industry standard” ideas about record releases; there hasn’t been a studio album of new music from the group since 2003. “We don’t live in that world any more,” explains Jakszyk, “where we’re signed to a record label, have to contractually produce an album by the end of November, and then tour it.” He allows that there is in fact plenty of new – and as yet unrecorded – King Crimson music. “We’ve got 3½ hours’ of repertoire, and of that I would say that there are 40 minutes of new material.

bhazen likes this.
  4. Dr. Mudd

Dr. Mudd Audient

I think there will be an album of all new material, but it won't be recorded in the studio.

bhazen likes this.
  5. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

A live album of all new material would do for me. I mean, I've always got what Fripp meant by "what would you rather have, a love letter [studio album] or a hot date [live gig or -- in this case -- live album]?"

Dr. Mudd likes this.
  6. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

Attend a concern and notice the difference in audience reaction to "classic" vs. new material.

7. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

The new material would garner more appreciation live after being put in an album as folks would become more familiar with it

8. gillcup

gillcup Senior Member Thread Starter

I got an email earlier in the week indicating that Club 1000 members were allowed to bring a guest to the Oct. 18th Austin "friends and family" concert :D :edthumbs:.

KDubATX likes this.
  9. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

From what I've heard so far, I think that the new material works best when interspersed with all of the other stuff, presenting a montage of then and now. If they conceived of a new opus that was meant to hang together as a single piece of work, I'd certainly be happy to hear it, but that doesn't seem to be where they're at right now. There is more of a retrospective aspect with this incarnation of the band. A part of me would be content with The Power To Believe being their final studio album. Of course, I'd welcome another if it flows naturally, but the weight of expectation with a new King Crimson album might be heavy.

Looking forward to seeing these guys at last in November! It'll be interesting to see how the set list evolves. I know that they're doing a lot from Lizard at this point. Personally, I'd love to see them do Formentera Lady-->Sailor's Tale together. I gather that Fripp doesn't care for it, but Jakko would be right for the vocals and with Mel Collins on board, how can you go wrong? I love how the extended jazzy jam blends into the mighty Sailor's Tale so seamlessly. As we hear in the early performances of this stuff from the original Islands line-up, Formentera Lady evolved out of the extended free form takes on Sailor's Tale in the beginning, so these songs are linked.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2017
  10. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

As it should be. This band has been phenomenal over decades.

Disclaimer: I've been latched onto this band since 1969. I'm not entirely convinced of the most recent new material at this point, and I'd wager Fripp isn't either. And he is the final word whether he admits it or not. Good bits here and there, groundwork is laid, but no stunners.

Yet.

11. kenticus

kenticus Forum Resident

have listened to The Errors a few times off Live in Chicago (as they released the download version of the full concert over the weekend). It's a good piece, just lots of twists and turns so a bit hard to grasp at first, but eventually reveals itself to be another cool little variation on the KC repertoire, a bit of 70s style mixed with the 80s style, with (and this will shock no one) a drum interlude in the middle.

live in chicago as a whole, definitely a cool recording with lots of strong performances of the tunes they've been playing. VERY impressed with the new to 2017 tracks like fallen angel, the lizard suite, neurotica, and islands as those come off very, very well. LTIA I into neurotica is definitely an EXCELLENT 1-2 punch to kick into a show.

footlooseman and agn like this.
  12. agn

agn Forum Resident

Thanks for the heads up on the download.

13. John Kelman

John Kelman Writer/Photographer, AAJ Senior Contributor

For those interested....

[​IMG]

My review of King Crimson's Official Bootleg: Live in Chicago, June 28, 2017, today at All About Jazz.

As many King Crimson fans eagerly await the November release of its latest 40th Anniversary Series box set - this time spanning the years 1970 through 1972, when saxophonist/flautist Mel Collins was a constant alongside band co-founder/guitarist Robert Fripp for three studio albums (1970's In the Wake of Poseidon and Lizard, and 1971's Islands) and one live album (1972's Earthbound) - along comes Official Bootleg: Live in Chicago, June 28th, 2017, another "warts and all" live soundboard recording along the lines of Live In Toronto: Queen Elizabeth Theatre, November 20, 2015. Like that 2016 release - and unlike the more decidedly produced 2015 teaser, Live at the Orpheum, and then-repertoire spanning audio/video collection Radical Action (To Unseat The Hold Of Monkey Mind) - Live in Chicago documents a complete performance, start to finish, about which Fripp has enthused, "If we are looking for a KC live [show], Chicago was exceptional."

Given how extraordinary the current lineup's shows in Montréal and Toronto, Canada were, just a few days after this Chicago performance, it's hard to imagine it actually being better.

But it is. As outstanding as both Montréal and Toronto dates were, Live in Chicago, June 28th, 2017 is, indeed, stronger - if only for it being slightly more consistent in its high level of performance, interaction and energy. What this means is, perhaps, a few less warts in a 160-minute set of music so challenging to play that a few minor gaffs would be expected. Indeed, if Crimson could deliver an absolutely perfect set with nary a minor flaw here and there, its now-eight-member lineup of extraordinary musicians would have to be inhuman. And, as complex as this music is, it is filled with the kind of humanity that makes Live in Chicago as thrilling a listen as it is a cerebral one.

Live in Chicago stands out amongst the (so far) four live recordings that the current King Crimson incarnation has released to date. Initially revived in 2013, following one of its many hiatuses over the decades, its unconventional septet lineup - featuring a three-drummer frontline and twin-guitar, bass and reed/woodwind backline - tested the waters with a Fall 2014 tour that, including two exhilarating nights at The Warfield in San Francisco, was so successful on so many levels that the band has continued touring ever since, with no sign of letting up.

Continue reading here...

14. mooseman

mooseman Forum Resident

Are they still using like 5 drummers on stage? :laugh:

CrombyMouse likes this.
  15. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

If they play a similar set list on 11/11, I will be thrilled.

If they play Fracture I will die happy

Fletch, footlooseman and petem1966 like this.
  16. petem1966

petem1966 Forum Resident

Will be at the Austin show next Thursday, totally agree about Fracture. It would be Fracture Rapture! :)

dlokazip and heepsterandrey like this.
  17. John Kelman

From my review, published today at All About Jazz and linked to earlier in the thread:

I think we're on the same page here :)

agn and bhazen like this.
  18. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Indeed we are. :) I've come to appreciate Live In Toronto more and more, and gotten more used to the current Crimso's recorded sound. And, as regards new material, it's genius to record it live, in a situation where the recording overhead is negligible, and the band actually making money during the "session". Plus, there's an almost Ellington-sized ensemble onstage now, so the need for overdubs to complete a composition in-studio can be rendered unnecessary by economical arrangements.

John, I have to compliment you on the quality of your reviews. In addition to your knowledge of the subject(s) at hand, your love of the music is evident.

19. John Kelman

Thanks, man, that's kind of you to say. Yeah, I'm thrilled that as I near 62 years old, I still get excited by music. And getting jaded/cyncial is a risk of the writing trade, when you receive so much music for review consideration. So it's all the more gratifying for me to realize I'm still like a teenager when it comes to loving music.

Cheers!
    John

bhazen likes this.
  20. surfling

surfling Forum Resident

amen to that. it's always a pleasure to read john's reviews. long, detailed and very well written. and honest!

John Kelman and bhazen like this.
  21. TFEC

TFEC Opinion Holder

See you there!

petem1966 likes this.
  22. ermylaw

ermylaw Forum Resident

Those reviews cost me like $500 over the last month as I got all the box sets. :righton:

John Kelman likes this.
  23. John Kelman

Thanks, man!

simon-wagstaff likes this.
  24. John Kelman

Believe me, while I do get copies of the box sets I review, I feel your pain...every time i discover something new, it's looking backwards and forwards, often checking out band members with whom I was not previously familiar...so despite getting review copies of some music, my monthly music bills might actually exceed many folks here!

It's called an addition. Hello. My name is John Kelman and I am a music addict :)

petem1966, surfling and ermylaw like this.
  25. Maranatha5585

Maranatha5585 BELLA + RIP In Memoriam

KING CRIMSON - 2017 FALL TOUR ANNOUNCEMENT : 10.13.17

Robert Fripp has just announced that long-time Seattle Crafty member Chris Gibson
    will be joining King Crimson for the soon to begin Fall Tour .. handling keyboards for
    Bill Rieflin who will not be available. Crimson is in Austin now, and Bill is there to
    support Chris during the handover.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.