King Kong- '33, '76, '05?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by *Zod*, May 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. *Zod*

*Zod* Forum Resident Thread Starter

for me, it is no question: 1976, vastly underrated, dismissed as camp, the lush cinematography and top shelf John Barry score elevates this one beyond the pale:righton:

2. Texastoyz

Texastoyz Forum Resident

I'm going ot go with 1933, it is the epitome of high adventure. But I do love the 1976 version mainly for Charles Grodin's performance and Jessica Lange, :love:

But 1933 is the tops! Now '05 is very good, but it's pretty long too and kind of loses it's way at points. But it's still good. O cannot hate any Kong unless it's King Kong Lives.

carrick doone likes this.
  3. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Drifter and scobb like this.
  4. keifspoon

keifspoon Senior Member

1933 by 1250 ft. I'm also somewhat partial to King Kong Escapes for it's dreaded cheese effect. :D

5. jonmayo15

jonmayo15 Forum Resident

1. 1933 is the best overall and is really fun to watch even today. Plus it has such great atmosphere.
    2. 2005 gets bogged down in some dramatics but is still exciting and has more emotional reasonance. Does a great 1930s recreation.
    3. 1976 is cheesy and dull to me. Looks more dated than the '33 version and the characters are cardboard.

bluesbro, DiabloG and Hawklord like this.
  6. benjaminhuf

benjaminhuf Forum Resident

I'm with you. 76 is first for me, very closely followed by the 33 version. The new one is a strong but distant 3rd place.

7. zen

zen Senior Member

'05 ...Naomi Watts :love:

Of course w/o '33, there would be no thread like this.

lbangs likes this.
  8. Yankee8156

Yankee8156 Senior Member

Well put. That's about how I'd rank/review them.

9. Marvin

Marvin Senior Member

The original version is the only one I'd watch again (and again..and again ...)

Solaris, DiabloG and Ghostworld like this.
  10. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

Fay Way baby!

11. Jackson

Jackson Senior Member

The original can't be beat.

12. race records

race records Forum Resident

I King your Kong. I can't believe that anyone can rank the 76 version higher then 3. I regretfully saw it the week it came out and thought it a zero star movie. Didn't Jessica Lang as Kong what his sign was?

13. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

One of the worst movies ever made. And I did the mastering for this home video release in the 1980s. One of the ugliest, worst-photographed films I've ever seen. Horrible acting, terrible effects, idiotic story... a triple-threat. (I still laugh at the John Belushi SNL sketch where he imitates producer Dino De Laurentiis and keeps saying, "everybody cry when my Kong die!")

Love the 1933 film. You can't criticize a classic of this magnitude.

I think the Peter Jackson 2005 remake is extraordinarily well-done, but I also think it was just too damned long. If they had cut an hour out of it, it would've been far better. Sometimes, more stuff is just more stuff, not better.

Hawklord, Ghostworld and GuildX700 like this.
  14. race records

race records Forum Resident

It was De Laurentiis! I had a vague recollection that it someone of note who produced that turkey.

15. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

1976. I haven't seen the other versions. I did see a brief part of the 2005 version.

16. jupiter8

jupiter8 Senior Member

1933 all the way. Is this a trick question?

17. helter

helter Forum Resident

Having watched the King Kong movies over 100 times I'm going to let my 5 year old autistic godson do the reviews.

1) B/W King Kong is the best. Skip the first portion and start where they meet the natives. The excitement doesn't stop from there.

2) "05" King Kong great scenes with dinosaurs although a little too scary and too long.

3) "76" King Kong (no dinosaurs)

18. matty j

matty j Forum Resident

76-Loved it when I was a kid. Haven't seen it in a long time though. Peter Jackson version was o.k. if a little dull. Only seen clips of the original.

19. RockWizard

RockWizard Forum Resident

Can't beat the original from 1933. Sure, doesn't have the flash and the bells and whistles of the othes, but it has THAT appeal. I'll take the classics any day.

20. rene smalldridge

rene smalldridge Senior Member

+1.
    Saw the 05 version once....that was enough.
    Saw the 76 version once ....that was once too much.

21. *Zod*

*Zod* Forum Resident Thread Starter

Dude, in 05 Kong they make him ice skate
    What a heap

22. I actually like the first half of the 1976 version, but once they get Kong back to New York the movie goes straight into the crapper.
    Jackson's 2005 version is too long & viciously rips my heart out. The skating scene is so beautiful & tender, but what follows is soooooooo harsh...I just can't watch it.

The 1933 original is untouchable. It contains the perfect balance of all elements required in exceptional cinema.
    :cheers:

23. Scooterpiety

Scooterpiety Ars Gratia Artis

1933 of course. Saw the '76 version on TV once, didn't do anything for me. Never saw 2005 and probably never will.

24. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Not the greatest scene. The death scene on top of the Empire State Building that followed was worse. I'm all for pathos, but that was just torturous.

I watched most of the "spider sequence" where the guys fall into the pit, and had to put my hands over my eyes. Nothing scares me more than being threatened by insects the size of small dogs. [​IMG]

25. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

The original is best, everything about it was good, I think I even have about three different versions of the score.

I like the Jackson, but agree with others that it's too long, if I watch it I tend to skip everything before the island and even then it's still too long.

I liked the '76 version as a kid, I saw it at the cinema, and I'm a big John Barry fan, plus it has Jessica Lange, but I caught it on TV a few years back and it hadn't aged well, I also think a giant gorilla works better in 1933 than in a contempory setting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.