King Kong- '33, '76, '05?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by *Zod*, May 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. schugh

schugh Forum Resident

I like the 33 and the 76.
    Can't stand the 05. Never understood what people liked about it. The main thing was that I found it just way too long.
    But then I've been in the reverse situation as well where I like/don't mind a movie and others hate it.

JWew likes this.
  2. MZ_RH1

MZ_RH1 Active Member

2005 version all the way. Much better graphics, more realistic and better sound. The new "Kong" movie will probably be even better!

FVDnz likes this.
  3. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

The 2005 borrowed from both the 1933 and 1976 versions. It borrowed the time and setting from 1933 and the emotional impact, the fact that we and the lead characters actual care about Kong, from the 1976 version. The 1976 version brought something new to the table. With the exception of a cartoon gorilla, cartoon dinosaurs and cartoon bugs, the 2005 version brought nothing new to the table.

JWew likes this.
  4. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

Canadian born Fay Wray lived a very long life, like Lillian Gish, but died in her 90s. I have seen her in other films, not always blonde, as she was a good actress.

Peter Jackson's recreation of the lost 1933 scene with the men who fell off the log was wonderful! I like the 1976, but love the 1933. Simply one of the, if not thee, great adventure movies of all time. The story behind it is up there with the great behind the making ofs too.

5. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

Kong '33 is a perfect movie. I also agree, the bonus features make the DVD/BD a must own.

JWew, efraley, Alan G. and 1 other person like this.
  6. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Though love the 1933 bedroom scene.
    1976 had the beautiful Jessica Lange(Francis Farmer).

7. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

They should have waited another 25+ years.

8. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

Kong: Skull Island is not a remake of '33. It's not the same-group of explorers discovers Kong, brings him back to New York, Kong climbs tall building, gets shot and falls, the end-story. It's more of a spin-off.

Purple Jim and Vidiot like this.
  9. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

"Kong" 1933 really does hold up astonishingly well. I won't claim it hasn't aged a day, but it still works WAY better than it should!

10. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

The score is still one of the best as well.

Oatsdad and beccabear67 like this.
  11. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Funny that this should come up today, as last night TNT ran the 2005, which I can't stand, and the INFO button on my remote brought up the description of the movie, and listed it as FOUR FRIGGIN' STARS!!!!!?????? So....same rating as, say, Ben-Hur? I think not. (Is there Payola for these ratings on Comcast????)

12. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

13. captainsolo

captainsolo Forum Resident

33. No substitutes. Son of Kong is surprisingly wonderful despite its extreme short length.
    The 76 version is flawed but had some interesting elements.
    The 05 version is a bloated mess.

This current spinoff looks completely soulless. I see the trailers and think...Willis O'Brien had to do everything by hand for months on end and still managed to convey more life than anything they can ever manage today.

14. schugh

schugh Forum Resident

Heh Heh, I always find that funny, when family or relatives look at the online listings for a movie and go "oh look, it got 4 stars!".
    And I'm like "ummm...yeah...ok" and just smile and don't say anything.

MLutthans likes this.
  15. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Something that's buggin' me about the 'new' Kong is how he stands and moves like a man! Reminds me of the Kong movies (and the majority of ape flicks!) where it's obviously a guy in an ape suit. One of the best things about the '05 movie was the amazing Andy Serkis, who studied the movements of apes in preparation. He also killed it in Planet Of The Apes. So much so that it's hard to imagine anyone else playin' the big ape!;)

Last edited: Feb 27, 2017
  16. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Probably my favorite scene in the '05 KK was when Ann was juggling for Kong. How Serkis went from amused to enraged to embarrassed, without the use of words, great stuff!

17. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

How tall was he, again?? :D

18. Jason Pumphrey

Jason Pumphrey Forum Resident

1933 all the way baby!:cool:

19. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My copy is in the mail!

npgchris, JWew and beccabear67 like this.
  20. preferred the early movies with stop motion animation, but this is looking like it will be my favorite version.

21. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

In preparation for Kong: Skull Island, James Rolfe has been reviewing all the Kong films....

Rhapsody In Red likes this.
  22. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

23. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

24. helter

helter Forum Resident

Jessica Lange seems like she is doing a Marilyn Monroe impersonation in the 1976 version

25. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

1933 is just beautiful, extraodinary cinema.
    1976 was let down by the use of a guy in a monkey suit and has dated terribly.
    2005 starts well in New York and the journey to the island but then it just gets too bonkers and over the top. The insect scene in the canyon is stupid as is the chase along the cliff road. Scooby Doo material.
    2017 looks totally over top also. I'll watch it on Film 4 later on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.