King Kong- '33, '76, '05?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by *Zod*, May 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. helter

helter Forum Resident

Check out the new King Kong ride at Universal studios in Florida based on the 1995 King Kong ....I thought it was pretty cool. My Godson made me go on it 5 times that week !

2. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

Reviews for the new Kong seem to be trending positive (83% on RT as of this writing) so I will definitely give it a go.

3. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I was surprised: the trailer for Kong: Skull Island looked pretty interesting...

They also aren't trying to hide what the ape looks like, so I guess they figure we've already seen the last three versions.

4. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

Pretty good trailer I'd say. That song has been used to death in trailers, but this is by far the best one.

5. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Damn, he has Katy Perry's shark!

6. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

The story goes that the reason they made Kong so much bigger is because the game plan moving forward is a Kong vs. Godzilla movie. I don't know, the ONLY Godzilla movie I've ever enjoyed is the original with Raymond Burr. Compared to Kong, he has very limited mobility and unlike Kong, his face is incapable of expression. Let's face it, the big G's a total bore! Will K vs. G be any more exciting than his legendary battles against T- rex's, in either movie? I doubt it. Been a fan since childhood so I hope I'm wrong but....

7. that guy does a good job breaking down the movies. thanks for that.

8. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

How about a Kong visits Planet Of the Apes cross-over? :idea:

9. clayton

clayton Senior Member

10. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

Raymond Burr is in "Godzilla: King of the Monsters", which is the American version of Gojira. Gojira is the original, while King of the Monsters came out 2 years later. I strongly recommend you see Gojira, it is a far superior movie. You probably will never want to watch King of the Monsters again.

Rocker likes this.
  11. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

I've known about Gojira since I was a kid but have never seen it! Ain't it weird how Gojira sounds like a bad comic impression of a Japanese person saying Godzilla!;)

The Hud likes this.
  12. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

Practice makes perfect...
    [​IMG]

13. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

33 for me.

14. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

33. So far.

I like em all to one degree or another. I'm just a sucker for King Kong – and dinosaur – movies (the basic Skull Island-NYC ones, not the Godzilla or other Kong-related buddy-movies). Even the Jack Black one was at least a noble failure.

The new one looks like a winner. I haven't gone out to the movies in years, but I'm gonna see this'un.

The Hud likes this.
  15. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

The Criterion Collection set has both versions if you are interested.

16. Time Is On My Side

Time Is On My Side Forum Resident

They need to just give it a rest.

17. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

It's amazing how sympathetic Kong is in the 1933 version, considering he kills natives by shoving them in his mouth and biting them, hurling them to the ground, stomping on them and then even grinding them into the ground under his feet. taking out a whole train full of people who have done nothing to him and even throws a woman out of the window of a skyscraper just cause she isn't Fay Wray.

beccabear67 likes this.
  18. Humbuster

Humbuster Staff Emeritus

1976 by a mile.

John Barry score, Jessica Lange and her boobies :D

and yes, I have the mind of a 12 year old.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2017
    Rhapsody In Red and mark renard like this.
  19. The jungle scenes in the '76 film with the wooden gate was superb film making...

Just finished watching the new King Kong movie and it was awesome. Well worth a watch if you want to be entertained for a couple hours.

20. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

The 1933 film was one of the first films I ever saw. I think I was about three years old and I loved it. I loved it just as much the last time I saw it about ten years ago. Genuinely poetic film-making, obviously influenced by German Expressionism, and very moving. You definitely get even more out of the film as an adult than you do as a child.

I was taken to see the 1976 remake when it was first released. Very happy memories of a trip to the cinema with my beloved grandmother (who sat through so many - mostly bad - films just for me!:)). I loved it at the time but don't remember all that much about it now (apart from Kong ripping a snake in two). I only became aware of its negative critical reputation may years later.

Not seen the 00s film at all and not bothered about seeing it, either. But this thread has reminded me to check out my KK 1933 DVD again. :)

21. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

This was on TV at the weekend. I remember going to see it at the Cinema as a kid, so watched it again.

Jessica Lange was so beautiful in that. I liked it but viewing it now the Kong special effects really let it down. I don't know why they didn't use someone in a mask for the facial close-ups, it just looked strange.

22. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

I recently re-watched King Kong '76 on Amazon Prime. It's the first time I've seen it since I was a kid. I loved as a kid, hence my defense of the film in this thread, but watching as an adult, I can't say that I liked it very much.

I came across this video on YouTube comparing the three films.

23. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

I liked most of 2005 Kong except THIS incredibly stupid and unnecessary sequence. Who in the world though this was a good idea? They should be punished

Luke The Drifter likes this.
  24. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

It's one of the better scenes, in my opinion. The incredibly stupid sequence award for that film would go to the rolling dinosaurs.

2005 is just far too long. If the film had been trimmed to just over an hour, it would have been much better.

25. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

I haven't read through 12 pages of posts. My vote is the original. I marvel at the technology they had to use so early in film history. And that scene with Kong holding and holding Faye Ray is just so sexy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.