King Kong- '33, '76, '05?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by *Zod*, May 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

33 is probably the better film, but the nostalgia of my own youth must give the nod to the Dude...76 for the win

2. Who knows (I certainly don't - having no training in paleontology)... I would think that to bet for millions of years of survival, there are smarter ways a herd-type animal would manage attacks from T-Rexes and the likes... Like "sacrificing" behind the weaker among them, and quietly go look out for greener pastures... Or circling to protect the young ones and using their tail; apparently a fantastic weapon no smart (again) predator ought to have taken too lightly...

3. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

I'm with you on that one. I can still recall seeing the 76 version on an enormous movie screen. I was 6 years old at the time. I agree that the 33 version is technically the better film; I'm not much of a fan of the 05 version.

Do any of you other 70s kids remember a game or a model or a toy based on the 76 version? I have a memory of something that is so fleeting that I can't remember what it is! But I vaguely recall the outer packaging had the same artwork as the movie poster.

fishcane likes this.
  4. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

wayneklein likes this.
  5. Oatsdad

I had some 1976 Kong merch - lunch box, spiral notebooks. I think I liked the idea of 1976 Kong more than the movie itself! :)

6. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

Now that you mention it, I think I might have had the lunchbox as well.

7. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

I knew the '05 version would get trashed here. I think it's extremely well done even with the bloat. This is what Peter Jackson excels at.

8. Oatsdad

:righton:

[​IMG]

9. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

The only thing that I had was some of the trading cards and the poster. I don't remember any toys.

I think pretty much every show or movie in the 70s had to come up with a lunchbox.

[​IMG]

10. Lord Summerisle

Lord Summerisle Forum Resident

I don't mind all of them. If one of them is on TV on a Friday night I'd happily watch it. If I had to choose though it would be the 76 version. It was the first one I watched as a kid, I love the music in it and Jessica Lange was smokin hot.

11. DreadPikathulhu

I had no idea these were released

12. Oatsdad

I think I had those cards - I might still have some!

99% sure there weren't any toys - if they'd put out toys, I would've gotten them! :)

13. Oatsdad

Huh - I guess there were some Kong "toys", though I don't really view models as "toys" since you can't play with them.

As far as I know, there weren't any Kong action figures...

14. DreadPikathulhu

I don't think action figures really took off until after Star Wars. Everything I can remember before then was the 12" GI Joe or Six Million Dollar man size.

15. Oatsdad

You've forgotten the Mego line of action figures! Those were 8" toys - they had 'em for superheroes, Planet of the Apes, Universal monsters, lots of stuff.

And there were other action figures in the "Star Wars" size-range pre-"Star Wars", too - or at least pre-"Star Wars"-toys release. The first "Star Wars" figures didn't hit shelves until early 1978, but I had some superhero action figures of the same size/style that came out in 1977. I got a bunch for Christmas that year - along with the "Early Bird" package for 4 "Star Wars" figures since Kenner hadn't actually made any of them yet!

Oh, and the "Micronauts" were the same size/style as "Star Wars" figures but predated them. There are tons of action figures pre-"Star Wars" - you've subscribed to the notion that George Lucas invented everything! ;) :D

16. DreadPikathulhu

No, it's just early in the morning here. :yawn:

You are correct. I vaguely remember Apes figures and had some of the Micronauts figures. I also had a complete set of Star Wars figures that were unfortunately stolen around 1992.

17. DreadPikathulhu

18. Oatsdad

Ouch! I still have some of my 70s-vintage "Star Wars" figures, though I quit buying them after 1978 or so - I "aged out" at that point.

My stepmother threw out a lot of my "Star Wars" stuff - playsets mostly - and I'm still kinda pissed about that! Not that they'd be worth much - it's not like I kept the stuff mint...

19. Lord Summerisle

Lord Summerisle Forum Resident

My dad did this to mine and my brothers Star Wars figures and vehicles aswell. I went looking for them in their garage about 20 years ago and he said he threw them away...:sigh:

20. DreadPikathulhu

I sold off most of the remaining sets after the figures were stolen and got decent money for them even though they were well played with. I had kept the boxes, but most of them were in pretty rough shape.

I did keep this one:

[​IMG]

21. Oatsdad

I had that! That would've been one of the last toys I owned.

I can't remember precisely when I stopped buying toys as a kid. In my mind, Christmas 1978 was my last stand - I know I got the Death Star at that time.

But in retrospect, I think I was still buying into 1979. I remember sending off proof of purchase seals to get the Boba Fett figure, and that was mid-1979, IIRC.

I can't recall if the playset shown above was out by Christmas 1978 or not. I DID get this one, though:

[​IMG]

It's notable mainly because it included the first "Snaggletooth" figure and the folks at Kenner got it wrong - he was too tall and his outfit was the wrong color.

I still have the 1978 Snaggletooth figure - I should probably just sell it already! :)

22. DreadPikathulhu

I had the Snaggletooth figures. Both the blue one and the correct red one...... :mad:

23. It is and it was sadly a quick cash in by RKO without the prep time and detail that went into "King Kong". It's more like a B movie in ALL aspects that just happens to share the "Kong" name and concept. Still, OBrien's work is stellar.

24. Oatsdad

I found this from the Butch and Sundance (!) toy line - look familiar? :)

[​IMG]

DreadPikathulhu likes this.
  25. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

What? No saloon girls....? ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.