“King of the Roadies” Ben Dorcy RIP

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JozefK, Sep 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident Thread Starter

“King of the Roadies” Ben Dorcy Has Passed Away

One of the oldest, and most beloved roadies in all of country music and beyond has has taken flight to that big tour bus to the sky. Ben Dorcy III, also known as “Lovey” or the “King of the Roadies” has passed away. The 92-year-old original roadie who began working in the business in 1950 and at one time or another offered his services to Willie Nelson, Waylon Jennings, Johnny Cash and June Carter, Buck Owens, Patsy Cline, Elvis Presley, Ray Price, Jerry Jeff Walker, and even more modern artists like Randy Rogers and Jack Ingram, was part helper, part guru, and universally beloved and celebrated. Though he may not be as well known as the artists themselves, Ben Dorcy is one of the most revered individuals in all of Texas music.

Known for his spiritual glow and ever-present smoking pipe, Ben’s contributions to side stages and behind-the-scenes had waned over the past few years due to his advanced age, yet he was a figure in the wings, back stages, and tour buses for artists up until his death.

---

His first job was in 1950 as a “bandboy” for Hank Thompson. At the time, nobody really knew what a “roadie” was. He subsequently became so honored by the musicians he served, his name began to show up in the music itself, such as Waylon Jennings’ “Ode to Ben Dorcy” and Red Sovine’s “Big Ben Dorsey the Third.” A character from Kinky Friedman’s book Roadkill is based on Ben (it’s about being aboard Willie Nelson’s bus), and the list of references to “Lovey” go on from there.

2. Kevin55

Kevin55 Forum Resident

We're losing our connections to history. RIP

longdist01 likes this.
  3. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

The thing that people don't seem to understand is that "roadie years" are like "dog years" and that Ben's 92 was actually 644.

heathen, mx20, longdist01 and 8 others like this.
  4. Chris DeVoe

Reviving this thread because it just saw an early kind of a documentary about Ben made by Willie Nelson's daughters called Lovey. I'm aboard the Outlaw Country Cruise, and they decided to show it to the group.

It's amazing how many people wrote songs about Ben. Here's Red Sovine's:

5. Maranatha5585

Maranatha5585 BELLA + RIP In Memoriam

RIP + Old Soldier

longdist01 and Chris DeVoe like this.
  6. Chris DeVoe

“I’ve learned I have the perfect person to steer me. When I’m contemplating one of life’s difficult decisions, I generally consult with Ben Dorcy,” said Willie Nelson in his book The Tao of Willie from 2009. “Bless his barely thumping heart, Ben is my canary in the coalmine. When faced with a difficult decision, I observe Ben and do the opposite of what he does.”

mx20, longdist01 and Maranatha5585 like this.
  7. Maranatha5585

Maranatha5585 BELLA + RIP In Memoriam

and there you go....

longdist01 likes this.
  8. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

thanks for sharing this Thread about Ben "Lovey" Dorcy.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  9. Chris DeVoe

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.