Kinks Deluxe Editions 2011-2014 (Part Five)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mark, Jul 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

[​IMG]

Adam9 and Mazzy like this.
  2. gremlinpants

gremlinpants New Member

If these deluxe reissues get to Everybody's In Showbiz and beyond, what are some potential bonus tracks that were NOT already on the Konk/Velvel reissues?

I've been keeping a list:

EVERYBODY'S IN SHOWBIZ
    Supersonic Rocket Ship - original version; released on Backtrackin' CD
    Sitting In My Hotel - remix from Celluloid Heroes LP
    Here Comes Yet Another Day - live version from Celluloid Heroes LP

PRESERVATION ACT 1
    Scrapheap City - B-Side version with different arrangement and Ray vocal
    Money & Corruption/I Am Your Man - extended edit from Preservation: A Play In Two Acts CD set
    Sitting In The Midday Sun - remix from Celluloid Heroes LP
    One Of The Survivors - remix from Celluloid Heroes LP

PRESERVATION ACT 2
    Mirror Of Love - UK Single Mix - Never heard it, not sure how different it is from the single mix already released on the last reissue

A SOAP OPERA
    Starmaker - Single Mix from Celluloid Heroes LP

SCHOOLBOYS IN DISGRACE
    ?

SLEEPWALKER
    Elevator Man - outtake; from Waterloo Sunset '94 EP
    Sleepwalker - acetate version w/ extra verse
    Brother - acetate version w/ earlier end
    Stormy Sky - acetate version w/ extended end
    Back To '64 - outtake some fans have heard at a convention
    Child Bride - outtake included on acetate sold online, yet to be circulated
    Supposedly a lot of unreleased outtakes exist from this album's sessions

MISFITS
    ?

LOW BUDGET
    A Gallon Of Gas - original album version, the konk reissue mistakenly put the extended single version in it's place
    Low Budget - extended 12" version
    Superman - original mix - 7" and 12" versions (different than the album and disco mixes)
    Moving Pictures - alt take from Backtrackin' CD
    Hidden Quality - demo from Picture Book box
    Nuclear Love - demo from Picture Book
    Duke - demo from Picture Book
    Maybe I Love You - demo from Picture Book
    Stolen Away Your Heart - demo from Picture Book
    Massive Reductions - B-Side of Better Things, recorded during LB sessions. Later redone for Word Of Mouth in an inferior version.

GIVE THE PEOPLE WHAT THEY WANT
    Art Lover - alt take from Waterloo Sunset: Songs Of Ray Davies CD
    Entertainment - from acetate (different mix then UK Jive version)
    Bernadette - from acetate (different from State Of Confusion version)
    Give The People What They Want - from acetate, extra verse
    Yo-Yo - extended version from acetate
    Predictable - extended version from acetate
    Destroyer - extended version from acetate

STATE OF CONFUSION
    Come Dancing - 12" Version
    Noise - 12" Version
    Bernadette - 12" Version
    Don't Forget To Dance - 12" Version
    Come Dancing - demo from Picture Book box set
    My Diary - demo from Waterloo Sunset: Songs Of Ray Davies CD
    The Shirt - demo from Waterloo Sunset: Songs Of Ray Davies CD

WORD OF MOUTH
    Too Hot - 12" Version
    Entire Return To Waterloo soundtrack plus songs from film that didn't appear on soundtrack
    Return To Waterloo - demo from Waterloo Sunset: Songs Of Ray Davies CD
    Voices In The Dark - great remix from Waterloo Sunset: Songs Of Ray Davies CD

Dino, wayne66, aoxomoxoa and 3 others like this.
  3. I don't see this in the U.S. iTunes store. I see Kinks, Kinda Kinks, Kontroversy, Face to Face, Something Else, VGPS, Lola, Think Visual, Lost & Found, Phobia, and Classics. Was Celluloid Heroes taken down, or am I just missing something?

I see that Celluloid Heroes (LP version) is still available on Amazon.com though, in MP3.

4. NOS300B

NOS300B The Moon Queen

I just looked and couldn't find it, either. I'm that much more grateful to have read it about here while it was still available. Still, seeing that Face to Face is available in the U.S. for the first time since the early 70's (not counting imports) is pretty kool.

5. KinksFan1992

KinksFan1992 Forum Resident

I've added some additions in red.

Personally, I'm sceptical of any further deluxe albums beyond Live At Kelvin Hall. I'm hopeful Kelvin Hall will be released because it was already remastered and remixed years ago.

Everybody's in Show-Biz has been mentioned, but although the material is there, there has been no word of progression.

However, I'd love to be wrong.

gremlinpants and Matthew Tate like this.
  6. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

Because all cd's should be compared to the 1987 Beatles cds.

905, stef1205, cc-- and 3 others like this.
  7. pobbard

pobbard Still buying CDs

A deluxe Kelvin Hall would definitely get me to buy that album on CD (one I've never bothered to add to my collection), no doubt. But I'd pre-order Everybody's in Show-Biz yesterday, if I had the option.

pablo fanques likes this.
  8. Paul Saldana

Paul Saldana jazz vinyl addict

You know that's not the answer.

The 1987 Beatles CDs are simply an example of a set of sixties lps by a single act, reissued with reasonably faithful transfers from low generation tapes, no additional compression beyond what's on the tapes, no stupid extreme eq to make them sound modern.

If the Kinks reissues sounded anywhere near as nice as the 1987 'Let It Be' or 'White Album' CDs there would be no reason to complain. The only thing one could ask for is a remix, a la the Who CDs in the nineties.

Starwanderer and bobcat like this.
  9. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

Well were the Beatles recorded with as much compression as these albums? Yes I hear compression but I figure I am supposed to be given their recording characteristics. Comparing these to ’87 Beatles cds seems to me to be like you are saying they took a Bela Fleck album and added compression to make it sound like “A Quick One”.

I do say this really more as a question and not an argument because I am both no expert and am interested in your opinions. I only have these DE, I doubt I am going to chase down the PRTs; but are you saying you have PRTs, and if so to what degree are those less compressed than the DEs? Are you comparing the DE to vinyl?

Again I ask because I have a running debate in my head about hearing already compressed albums vs. albums where compression was added for purposes such as loudness. Some of these albums to me are prime examples of that grey area— am I hearing tape compression or compression on top of tape compression? I can already see people writing, get a PRT and find out, so since I am already wasting bandwidth with this post please don’t compound my mistake.

It seems to me, although admittedly I don’t have any comparisons so this is a complete guess, the DE did a pretty good job all around. I never really get any fatigue listening to them. The earlier albums are rougher, but that is what I would have expected.

PS You lost me at needing remixes like '90s Who, that is the last thing we need; unless we now need a PhD lesson in Kink’s compression!

Last edited: Aug 20, 2014
  10. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

I beg to differ! The Who 90s remasters sounded good, sure, but they changed the mixes so much that they were no longer the original albums!

Mazzy and bmoregnr like this.
  11. But those Kinks CDs actually sound better than the Beatles 87 CDs considering that the Kinks albums were not ideal to begin with..

GetHappy!! likes this.
  12. Those deluxe Kinks CDs sound better than the Kinks albums have ever sounded. Of course I love their LPs but again, there were so wonderful sounding to begin with. One of the few bands where the CDs might trump the vinyl a bit.

kevinsinnott and GetHappy!! like this.
  13. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

The deluxe editions are way too compressed for me. For example Arthur has about half the dynamic range compared to the PRT CD.

omranger likes this.
  14. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

What's to stop someone from listening to an original cd for the "dynamics", and these for the bonus /unreleased tracks. jeez.....:confused:

15. Paul Saldana

I was saying that a remix would be the most reasonable alternative to straight transfers from the two track mixdowns, not that a remix would be preferable.

16. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

That's what I do, but it is a shame the Deluxe editions aren't mastered better.

bobcat likes this.
  17. Paul Saldana

You missed my point entirely as well.

What I had hoped for, and have never heard on cd, are Kinks CDs that sound as though they faithfully represent the master tapes.

Barring that Godsend, I would settle for remixes at least as good as the 1986 'Help' and 'Rubber Soul' CDs, the Bill Inglot mixed Beau Brummels or Left Banke CDs. All these remixes were made after it was determined that the originals sounded bad on modern equipment (debatable in the Beatles' case, but that's off topic).

My distant third choice would be loud-mastered, clipped all to hell CDs that sound worse than any release of that same material seen previously.

Guess which of the three you are defending here. Is that a clearer explanation?

18. Paul Saldana

Would it kill the labels to put out reissues that don't sound like jackhammer and chainsaws? JEEZ?!?!?!?

19. GetHappy!!

GetHappy!! Forum Resident

Has anyone considered the fact that Ray Davies has significant input into these reissues (as Andrew Sandoval has alluded to), and these are exactly the way he wants them to sound? Doesn't mean you have to like them, of course. I like them, and to use a quote that fellow forum member Larry Geller used when he was describing the Experience Hendrix CDs - "It's not loud, it's POWERFUL!" (see http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/your-go-to-hendrix-cds.264737/page-4 ). Apologies in advance, Larry, if I'm misrepresenting you. And in regards to the PRT Arthur... - I'll take the loudness on the deluxe edition in lieu of some awful eq (in my opinion) on the PRT.

20. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

I was not defending anything, I was essentially asking what Kinks CD versions you have heard outperform the DE and do they do so by a large margin; or as you are saying now best match the master tapes which I am assuming you know from the vinyl— and I take it from your response you have not heard that CD version yet.

Again I did not mean it to be a big thing. I see tlake6659 says the PRT is twice as dynamic for Arthur so that is pretty impressive. That is my fave so back to the salt-mines looking for that I guess. Edit: I see GetHappy!! does not like the EQ! You just can't win around here!

Last edited: Aug 20, 2014
  21. Helmut

Helmut Well-Known Member

I do not get this discussion about too much loudness or compression on the latest Kinks remasters. Compression is like salt in a good meal. Too little - and it tastes lifeless. Too much - and it's no longer enjoyable.
    The Kinks remasters use the right dose.
    In case of "Face to Face" I have three editions, Castle from 1989, Sanctuary from 2004 and the Deluxe from 2011.
    If I listen to the track "Little Miss Queen of Darkness" with it's drum solo, it sounds pretty lifeless and tinny on the Castle. No visible compression obviously, but neither a drum nor a band sounds like that, when you're in the room with them. The 2004 version only offers mono but with echo and a bit of compression and the track begins to live.
    But the Deluxe brings the song to a sound, which is "not brickwalled", but here it feels like a real band with real instruments and a very authentic drum sound of a sixties set. Lightyears ahead of the Castle. (I'm not talking about the the stereo remix with the drums on the left...)
    So what's wrong with that ???

laf848, GetHappy!! and Mazzy like this.
  22. cc--

cc-- Forum Resident

some confusion here between compression in the recording and compression in the mastering -- same effect, but different stages, and most of the debate on this forum is about the latter.

are you familiar with the sound of the catalog on vinyl? (real question -- I'm not, beyond Greatest Hits.)

23. Amen

24. stef1205

stef1205 Forum Resident

Isn't this a Kinks thread? It's really annoying that anything must be related to those Beatles. You're simply wasting our time.

Mazzy likes this.
  25. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

They should add the SNL performances of Art Lover & Yo Yo.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.