Kinks Deluxe Editions 2011-2014 (Part Five)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mark, Jul 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NOS300B

NOS300B The Moon Queen

There will be two studio outtakes plus two alternate mixes. I wonder how many studio outtakes from 1972 even exist.

Hep Alien, Shawn and Matthew Tate like this.
  2. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

Who knows ... Ray keeps such details very close to his chest. It'd be no surprise if he unveiled another half dozen studio out takes for the 2035 ultra deluxe edition.

pobbard likes this.
  3. Excellent news, thank you for that!

4. FJFP

FJFP Host for the 'Mixology' Mix Differences Podcast

Any evidence of Vic remastering here?

5. smiley69

smiley69 Forum Resident

None except that Sony's in charge !

KinkySmallFace1991 and FJFP like this.
  6. LX200GPS

LX200GPS Forum Resident

Relevant studio tracks available but not included; US single (shorter) version of "Celluloid Heroes". Mono "Celluloid Heroes". Alternative versions of "Sitting In My Hotel" and "Here Comes Yet Another Day". As I'm not bothered about the live stuff, and I already have a Mobile Fidelty SACD of this album, I'll pass on this. It would be nice to have that "Supersonic Rocket Ship" though as I haven't heard that for years.

Hep Alien and pobbard like this.
  7. KinkySmallFace1991

KinkySmallFace1991 Will you come back to me, Sweet Lady Genevieve?

The shorter "Celluloid Heroes" is on Essential Kinks and the alternate "Siting In My Hotel" is available for download on Celluloid Heroes. I'm not aware of any alternate versions of "Here Comes Yet Another Day", except for the live version from the Soap Opera era, and that showed up on Celluloid Heroes. Dave Emlen's excellent site only mentions two 1972 versions of HCYAD, and they are the official version and a shorter edit that fades about 20 seconds earlier.

8. NOS300B

NOS300B The Moon Queen

He probably just meant the shorter edit of "Here Comes Yet Another Day".

9. NOS300B

NOS300B The Moon Queen

If the description of "alternate mix" is accurate, you've never heard "Supersonic Rocket Ship" like this and the earlier recording should have been on your list.

10. NOS300B

NOS300B The Moon Queen

Only CD2 is newly remastered. CD1 is the same 2014 remaster that is available for download on HDTracks, Acoustic Sounds, Qobuz and I think Pono. I haven't downloaded Everybody's in Showbiz, but the three I have downloaded have sounded superb. I can't prove that they were remastered by Vic Anesini but they sound like it, and we know that the last installment in this series was. I expect the remastering to be excellent on both discs, using no peak limiting or compression.

11. pobbard

pobbard Still buying CDs

I didn't know about this. What's different about this version? And by "available for download", do you mean the Celluloid Heroes available on Amazon? Thanks!

12. NOS300B

NOS300B The Moon Queen

Sorry for butting in. The 1976 remix found on The Kinks Greatest: Celluloid Heroes (original LP or current download) has the instruments in different places, lacks the thud near the beginning, and has the organ reduced in volume, among other differences. Most tracks on the compilation differ in some way from their standard versions. Remixing and editing was credited to Ray Davies and Roger Wake.

And yes, all downloads should be the 12-track version assembled in 1976 and not the 18-track version assembled for CD which just uses LP tracks. You can get it from Amazon, iTunes, HDTracks, Acoustic Sounds, Qobuz and probably others.

13. LarryT

LarryT Forum Resident

pobbard likes this.
  14. FJFP

FJFP Host for the 'Mixology' Mix Differences Podcast

I downloaded Celluloid Heroes from this series due to the unique mixes, and absolutely loved it. Very excited for this.

KinkySmallFace1991 and NOS300B like this.
  15. KinkySmallFace1991

You didn't butt in at all. Thanks for helping me out here!

NOS300B likes this.
  16. KinkySmallFace1991

I downloaded the iTunes version. Sounds very good!

NOS300B likes this.
  17. LX200GPS

LX200GPS Forum Resident

I know some of these tracks are available elsewhere - the point I was making is that, as they are tracks from the Showbiz album, then they ought to appear on the Deluxe version that's why I used the word "relevant".

18. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

Any chance they will reissue Lola to match the packaging of every other Deluxe Edition :hide:

FJFP and four sticks like this.
  19. smiley69

smiley69 Forum Resident

Hep Alien and KinkySmallFace1991 like this.
  20. LarryT

LarryT Forum Resident

21. KinkySmallFace1991

22. Jack

Jack Senior Member

23. I'd love a high def disc with this. Was this issued in multi-channel? I can't recall.

24. KinkySmallFace1991

There were two SACDs of Showbiz: One on MoFi of the original album and then Velvel issued
    Everybody's In Show-Biz »
    Everybody's In Show-Biz »

No multi-channel mentioned. I don't believe any Kinks discs are in surround, but someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  25. Correct, MOFI isn't but The Kinks digipacks clearly indicate surround on the SACD layer of the hybrids, but it was a printing mistake on the back of the cases, they are indeed stereo only.

Pete Puma likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.