Kinks Deluxe Editions 2011-2014 (Part Five)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mark, Jul 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KinkySmallFace1991

KinkySmallFace1991 Will you come back to me, Sweet Lady Genevieve?

I only had Lola and Kelvin Hall from the Castle/Sanctuary masters. I liked the Lola Deluxe a little better than the Sanctuary, so I gave the latter away to a friend who wanted the aalbum.

I still have Kelvin Hall, if only for completion's sake.

2. dougb222

dougb222 Forum Resident

If I have all the Deluxes (from Kinks to Lola), is there any compelling reason to keep any of the Castle/Sanctuary CDs?

And Muswell Hilbillies: if I have the Legacy Edition and the Deluxe Edition, do I need to keep the Velvel SACD?

(Sorry if this is all sorted out upthread.)

3. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

For everything from the start up to and including Muswell Hillbillies...

4. Matthew B.

Matthew B. Scream Quietly

Um, okay. You wanted stereo mixes, right?

Kinks: The MFSL two-fer of the first two albums. If you don't want to hunt that one down then the German PRT sounds almost the same, and better than the British PRT. (In other cases below the German and U.K. PRTs have the same mastering.)
    Kinda Kinks: There's no stereo mix, but for mono I'd go with the two-fer again, or failing that the PRT.
    Kink Kontroversy: Again, this is mono only. PRT or Castle CLACD 157 (these are basically the same mastering).
    Face to Face: PRT, I guess. Or the Castle CLACD if you don't mind swapped stereo channels.
    Live at Kelvin Hall: Ditto.
    Something Else: The PRT, but with the original mixes of "Tin Soldier Man" and "Situation Vacant" from the old Reprise CD.
    The Village Green Preservation Society: PRT or Castle CLACD (in this case they're identical).
    Arthur: PRT, or the Castle CLACD with reversed channels.
    Lola: As I said above, the 1998 Castle Essential, reissued a few years later on Sanctuary.
    Percy: 1998 Castle Essential, reissued on Sanctuary.
    Muswell Hillbillies: 2014 Legacy Edition.

Last edited: May 2, 2016
    jjm905, bobcat and Hep Alien like this.
  5. GreenGringo

GreenGringo Well-Known Member

Don't even try to argue with the militant pro-deluxe edition people. They have dug their heels in to the extreme position that these releases are perfectly acceptable even though they are ridiculously compressed and bright. They don't believe that it is important to master sonically-challenged material with as much care as possible. As long as they get bonus material they have never heard before, they are happy. Even the slightest bit of dissent is grounds for attack. Don't fall for it.

bobcat likes this.
  6. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

This thread is Part Five of this topic. We have already worn out the compression/limiting discussion many times over. We all (many of us) realize that this re-issue program has its 'limitations' in terms of mastering (and typos). We all (most of us) realize that there are older releases that have better sound quality. Let's not argue any more about it, better yet, let's not argue about arguing about it.
    thanks

7. GreenGringo

I think the problem is that "many of us/most of us" are not voicing our opinions, and are allowing contrarians/trolls to dominate these conversations, which leads to misinformation.

8. GreenGringo

I mean, we are still discussing problems with the Beatles remasters in detail.

These Kinks remasters are worse, but the general attitude is, "They're fine, shut up about it".

I don't understand that. Is there an unspoken rule that I have missed, that flaws with certain products are not allowed to be discussed, or even referenced?

omranger and bobcat like this.
  9. Matthew B.

I'm probably going to screw something up here, but here goes:

The 1998 Kontroversy has an alternate stereo take of "Dedicated Follower of Fashion" otherwise available only on the Picture Book box.

The 1998 Face to Face has an edit of Dave's version of "Mr Reporter" otherwise available only on Dave's Anthology: Unfinished Business.

The 1998 Something Else has a mix of "Lazy Old Sun" unavailable elsewhere, and also the mono mix of "There Is No Life Without Love," which is on a few other CDs but not the Deluxes.

The 1998 Arthur has an alternate mono mix of "She's Bought a Hat Like Princess Marina" with more piano. And also "This Man He Weeps Tonight" with two left channels, but that's less of a selling point (this was fixed on later reissues).

The 1998 Percy has several mono film mixes unavailable elsewhere.

BBC Sessions 1964-1977 has a stereo mix of "Did You See His Name" otherwise available only on The Kink Kronikles.

I'd also keep Lola, Percy, and probably Arthur for the mastering. And of course Live at Kelvin Hall never got a Deluxe Edition.

I'd say not.

10. KinkySmallFace1991

Dave's "Mr. Reporter" and "There Is No Life Without Love" both appear on Dave Davies' Hidden Treasures, which is included in the campaign.

dougb222 and Hep Alien like this.
  11. Matthew B.

Different mixes, though.

12. Tom Campbell

Tom Campbell Forum Resident

Obviously, nobody is stopping you from posting anything, and in plain fact the same handful of members have posted the same negative opinions about these reissues again and again and again within this long thread.

The members who find it repetitive and exasperating are entitled to their opinions, too.

13. GreenGringo

And I am entitled to ignore them.

bobcat likes this.
  14. KinkySmallFace1991

Correct about "Mr. Reporter", two new stereo mixes appear on Hidden Treasures, neither of which are the original 1998 mix.

TINLWL, however, does appear in both its original mono and a previously unreleased stereo mix.

Matthew B. likes this.
  15. Matthew B.

Ah, sorry, you're right.

KinkySmallFace1991 likes this.
  16. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

Your post could be understood that arguing about the sound quality of these releases is not allowed anymore, can you please clarify?

17. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

No, my comment was in reference to the forum member who continually posts that these CDs have non favorable limiting and does not offer much else to the discussion.

Mike D'Aversa likes this.
  18. GreenGringo

My complaint is that this guy is allowed to post this:

Yet I am being taken to task for posting this:

The fact that one particular poster is being overzealous is being used as a red herring by the "you are not allowed to complain" people. Maybe if the topic was actually being discussed and not outright dismissed as being unimportant, people wouldn't have a reason to assert their points over and over again?

Just a thought.

bobcat and Laservampire like this.
  19. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

I feel inspired to write a song:

I'm so tired
    Tired of reading
    Tired of reading about you

I was a compressed soul
    I had my hearing till I met you
    But you keep-a me complaining
    All of the time
    What can I do?

It's your ears
    And you can hear what you want
    Do what you like
    But please don't keep-a me hating
    Please don't keep-a me hating

'Cause I'm so tired
    Tired of reading
    Tired of reading about you

20. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Reb you are not like everybody else.:uhhuh:

21. KinkySmallFace1991

John, you're Mr. Pleasant today. I hope the world is treating you right and the whole wide world is on your side.

22. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

Fantastic...many thanks!

Matthew B. likes this.
  23. dougb222

dougb222 Forum Resident

Thanks Matthew B. and KinkySmallFace1991 for the timely and thorough replies!

24. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

That isn't the attitude at all. If you read all 5 parts of the thread, any time somebody says they are happy with the Deluxe editions, they are attacked by people who basically call them idiots. There have also been posters who have made personal attacks on the mastering engineer.

25. hurple

hurple Forum Resident

Oh, you're just angry the Doctor stopped your latest mad scheme again... But, I agree, these Deluxe Editions sound great. I think this is better than the Kinks have ever sounded before. Or, better than I've ever heard, anyway. Don't listen to the naysayers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.