Kinks Deluxe Editions 2011-2014 (Part Five)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mark, Jul 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

Yeah, I know it's not going to happen. Those are good sellers and not even owned by RCA. But it would be pretty nice. Also, I'm jealous that you can find these in your shops. I bought my two Legacy editions from mine but have only ever seen a (hideously overpriced) Kinda Kinks at my stores. :(

Overall despite some harshness to the sound I think these deluxe editions are really well done. Lots of DEs are "the (brickwalled) album plus 10 bonus tracks, 2 of which are previously unreleased and 1 of which you really care about at all" (looking at you, Rolling Stones). These are "the entire album twice, mono and stereo, plus 20-40 bonus tracks, about 10 of which you didn't even know existed, and pretty much all of which will warrant repeated listens". Sure the SQ is less than optimal but if you can't get around that then you'll just have to live with the fact that you're missing out.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2016
  2. chahooa

chahooa Forum Resident

Yes, did it twice. Still feel pretty bummed about the experience.

Dave Hoos and Mazzy like this.
  3. GreenGringo

GreenGringo Well-Known Member

A DR of 5 vs. an original of 14 is not "well done" by any stretch of the imagination, but keep telling yourself that.

humpf and bobcat like this.
  4. InStepWithTheStars

"You shouldn't talk about this because I don't like it".

If anyone can direct me to one comment by this individual on this thread that does not convey this message, either in subtext or context, please direct me to it and I will happily eat my shoe. Until then, keep telling yourself that.

5. GreenGringo

This thread is so rich in irony, I wouldn't even know where to begin.

If fifty hyperbolic positive comments for every one dissenting comment doesn't qualify as "flogging a dead horse" in its own right, I will gladly eat both of my shoes.

But apparently this thread is designated for positive comments only, no matter how frequent, hyperbolic or flat-out untrue.

humpf, bobcat and Mazzy like this.
  6. InStepWithTheStars

This thread is designated for discussion. As is this forum. Making 20+ posts saying "these suck" is not discussion. We get that you dislike them. That's your opinion and that's okay. What's not okay is that you are trying to shut down other peoples' discussions because they don't go hand in hand with your opinions.

As the moderator you've repeatedly ignored and rudely retorted to several times has stated (at least twice), we ALL KNOW that these CDs have problems. These are not good masterings. We understand this. However, these are not strict remasters. There is a wealth of bonus content which people want to discuss - sound quality aside. Just because these CDs sound poor does not mean we shouldn't discuss the songcraft of Ray Davies or the musicianship of the Kinks in regards to songs with mastering not up to snuff. Whether you realize it or not, every post you've made in this thread has attempted to sabotage that discussion.

These threads have been going on for FIVE YEARS. We're on page 67 of the fifth one. Not every single post that wasn't by you or Bobcat, or asking you and Bobcat to stop whining and try to contribute more to the discussion, said "These CDs are heaven on earth and I cannot think of a better way to spend my time than listening to these flawless masterings of this music", as you seem to be under the impression that they were (I am referring to the posts, not the CDs). Over the course of five years, people have discussed their displeasure with the sound quality of these CDs. They have also expressed an interest in wanting to discuss the content of said CDs. While this may be a revelation to you, those two notions can exist simultaneously.

In three months and at least twenty posts, you have contributed little to the discussion of these CDs beyond "I hate the sound", "people who like these are wrong", and "my freedom of speech is being violated". If you had made one post that said "Despite the bonus content, I think these are badly mastered and that inhibits my ability to enjoy them", that would have been fine. Your first post in this thread was an attack on anybody who enjoyed these CDs, and when you were asked to stop attacking and contribute more to the discussion or leave, you whined about being censored. The reason people want you to stop posting your opinion is because you already smashed us over the head with it multiple times. It's not a censorship of criticism; we're sick of dealing with you and the abrasive way you're attempting to imprint your opinion onto us.

If somebody were to buy these CDs, and on the way to their car after exiting the store, the CDs dragged them into an alleyway and physically violated them, then yes, your criticisms would be entirely valid, and I would merrily eat three shoes. But these are CDs. You put them in a box and they make sound happen. You're completely exaggerating the "danger" of these. No one is being involuntarily harmed by these; if someone were harmed by them, they would stop listening - as some have.

Yes, this is a forum where people like to find good-sounding versions of the music they like. It's also a forum where people like music. Just because a song isn't up to one person's subjective perception of "good sound" doesn't mean it should never be discussed by anybody, regardless of their subjective perception of "good sound". I don't like the sound quality of most Waterboys CDs, which I find abrasive and extremely harsh (moreso than these Kinks CDs), but I would never discourage anybody from discussing the musical quality of the songs.

I know you're already planning to retort with something along the lines of "Just because a post isn't up to one person's subjective perception of 'good discussion' doesn't mean it should never be shared with anybody, regardless of their subjective perception of 'good discussion'." Here's where the fault in that lies - the "subjective perception" here isn't so subjective. If you read the rules of this forum, you will discover that there is a rule against "threadcrapping" - posting negatively in a thread without adding any element of discussion to it. People pointing out that your post has no reason to exist, based on many other existing factors, doesn't count as discussion generation. Plus, you've repeatedly been rude to a moderator who explained why people are "preventing you" from discussing sound quality. Stereoptic is clearly a very forgiving person, and you would have been banned months ago on just about any other forum. I think there's enough evidence in this thread to support that you've broken the site's rules; clearly, the moderators have chosen to overlook it. Your actions have been less than grateful since then.

In the three months that you've been on this thread, you have contributed one opinion, many aspects of which have been discussed ad nauseum. Your hyperbolic assumptions (50 attacks for every post of dissent, that everybody else on earth thinks that these CDs are perfect) grate on everybody's nerves. You've also resorted to personal attacks and have played the victim card every time you're called on it. You have made your point; if you have nothing left to say, I suggest that you leave this thread before one of us gets impatient and has you banned.

Also, as for this thread being filled with irony, I concur; I can compose a small list of ironic statements made by you during your time in this thread if you would like me to.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2016
  7. GreenGringo

Here is an example of you speaking freely...

Please explain to me why I am not allowed to refute this ridiculous statement (taunt), after I just got done explaining in full technical detail why the remasters aren't as good as people say they are? Your comments aren't even backed up with any detail or proof. How are they any more valuable than mine are? Sounds like a whole bunch of "you shouldn't talk about this because I don't like it" to me.

I prefer educated dissent to uninformed praise when making sound decisions about what I should purchase, but that's just me. I guess I am not taking people's feelings into consideration, as if it matters.

8. tonewheeltom

tonewheeltom Forum Resident

I think there are some on this forum who use terms like "ear bleeding" and "eardrum shattering" to the point where potential new contributors would be turned off by this community. When I first came here as a music fan looking for info, I laughed to myself with visions of middle aged men sitting alone in a room surrounded by expensive audio components, tears streaming from their eyes, blood from their ears.

Hopefully, a new Kinks enthusiast may glean that these Sanctuary reissues are an affordable, in print (for now), way to "get it all, now." Then, they may be able to seek out older OOP pressings that score a little higher on audiophile databases.

9. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

I have not let the SQ of these releases affect my enjoyment of them. I have played these many, many times. If Anesini got his hands on these and remastered them, however, I would gladly scoop them up again. That's highly unlikely, though, so I'll not get my hopes up.

10. Dave Hoos

Dave Hoos Nothing is revealed

And now you've made me laugh too. Out loud. Be a wonderful promo for the forum.

11. What a fantastic post!

12. InStepWithTheStars

You are allowed to refute my statement about the 1998 remasters sounding poor. We would just appreciate that you do so in a cordial manner. And me saying that the 1998 CDs are "crappy" does not exclusively discuss sound quality; the lack of bonus material, or at least a shortage of engaging bonus material, disappointed me. Similarly, because I described the SQ of the 1998 as "crappy, lifeless, and squashed" does not mean that the 2011 CDs are the complete opposite of that. Your posts in this thread seem to be under the hyperbolic assumption that "if they respond negatively to me, they must think the CDs that are the subject of this thread are absolutely perfect in every way, and they're trying to censor me for disagreeing". That is not the case at all.

I'm not trying to censor you; I'm just pointing out that in this particular thread, you've been incredibly abrasive to other members and have ignored requests from a moderator. You've expressed your opinion regarding the sound quality of the deluxe edition CDs, and you've noted that you generally prefer the PRTs, warts and all. Those comments did add to the discussion. But many would agree that your constant bashing of the deluxe editions, with no mention of the musical quality of the songs, is akin to flogging a dead horse. Again, we are not trying to censor you, but if you aren't going to discuss anything else, we would appreciate it if you left this thread alone.

I would say that you are nothing but a troll milking the victim card for all it's worth, but you've demonstrated in other posts that you do have a vast knowledge of music and reissues, and you have done so in a polite and cordial manner. In fact, it was from you that I learned that the 2012 reissues of early Zappa albums actually use the digital masters instead of the analogue master tapes. Because of that, you opened my eyes to the Project/Object releases, and I have to thank you for that. Reading your posts in other threads, it's clear that you're not the person that this thread would portray you to be. I would hate to deny this forum real discussion from someone who clearly knows what they're talking about over one thread, but there's no getting around the fact that most of us are sick of your posts in this particular thread.

Unless you have comments about the bonus content beyond the fact that you dislike the sound, which has been firmly established, we ask that you refrain from posting here. We are not trying to censor your criticism on the grounds that it is criticism; we just don't want to have our discussion interrupted because you disagree. I don't like the Monkees, but I wouldn't enter a Monkees thread and repeatedly post how much I dislike them. Yes, you are expressing issues with sound quality on am audiophile board, and thus your arguments do hold a bit more water, but at their core most of your posts still feel like that to me, and I'm sure many others will agree.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2016
  13. Who'sTommy

Who'sTommy Forum Resident

Just ordered the Deluxe Edition of "Kinks". I have got all the other Deluxes, but this one was still missing.
    For a long time this Deluxe seemed unavailable, maybe OOP as the ones I saw for sale were pretty expensive. But I happened upon one that only cost 13 euros, so I couldn't resist.
    Look forward to listening to it. Early Kinks!

Last edited: Aug 24, 2016
    Strummergas likes this.
  14. I understand some seem to experience this, but I personally have NEVER felt an album is bleeding my ears or hurting them. But that's just me.

15. InStepWithTheStars

That happened to me with the 20th anniversary remaster of Nirvana's Nevermind. I actually damaged my headphones (luckily, cheap earbuds) when I accidentally clicked on "In Bloom" when my volume was all the way up.

16. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

I have the 1998 cds of the Pye albums and the DE editions of the same. The 1998 cds were reissued in 2004 but I think they were the same in terms of sound. The DEs are from much later 2011 I think. I need to go back and check the 1998 cds but I am guessing they are similar in sound to the same tracks on the DEs. DEs are essential for the whole mono/stereo and bonus stuff. Then there is the mono box and finally the 2014 Sony Legacy box. When it is time to go to the old folks home some of these will have to go to charity shops. Still no hi-res Kinks apart from the RCA albums with an sacd release. Also have a mobile fidelity of You Really Got Me/ Kinda Kinks which I've always liked.
    Also got those nice EP boxes Castle did. Wish they would do them on vinyl. I have some original UK Kinks eps but they are well worn.

17. InStepWithTheStars

Is the deluxe edition of the debut album out of print and/or in jeopardy of becoming out of print? There have been several comments regarding the availability of that set. If it seems to be tough to find I should probably pick it up sooner than later. I was planning to nab the two cheapest ones, Kontroversy and Something Else, but if people are having trouble locating the debut I may just save up and grab it first.

18. Flaming Torch

Available on Amazon UK for £8.49p with lots of market place traders as well. Don't know if Sony will re press it should it sell out.

InStepWithTheStars likes this.
  19. InStepWithTheStars

I remember someone expressed concern over finding it. Guess I don't really have much to worry about. EDIT: It's like five posts above this one. Man my memory is bad! I thought it was a few months ago. :confused: :help:

KinkySmallFace1991 and Dave Hoos like this.
  20. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

I think the consensus, was that the DE's sound better than the 1998's (by a good margin), but do not sound as good as the PRT's.

21. Dave Hoos

Dave Hoos Nothing is revealed

It was the only one that I had to order online to get (although did get them all at least 2 years after they came out). Maybe they didn't print as many copies of that one?

22. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

The Lola and Percy '98s are considered better than the DEs by some as they are not as bright and compressed.

23. Flaming Torch

Thank you. I am assuming the PRT's are the vinyls from Germany. Looks like once I check out the bonus tracks that the 1998 cds could be heading for a box. Bet there are some unique bonus tracks though.

24. Flaming Torch

Thanks. Percy I can probably live with any version as I don't play it much. Lola might have to stay out the box for another few listens. This is the problem, like with the Costello's you end up with shelves with 3 or 4 versions of the same album (never mind the original and 180gm/200gm/ AAA and MFSL etc vinyl editions!)

Adam9 likes this.
  25. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

The PRT's are CD's. Here is a great breakdown of the best sounding Kinks on CD. Matthew B knows his Kinks. Look at post #66 of this thread, and then read on for information about Muswell Hillbillies, etc.:

If you had to pick one CD pressing of each Kinks release... »

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.