Kinks Deluxe Editions 2011-2014 (Part Five)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mark, Jul 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

This is correct. I expect we will be getting more, but not for a while. This is Legacy, remember, who promised reissues of Van Morrison's catalog and thus far have reissued only one of the planned 30 or 40.

bobcat and Matthew Tate like this.
  2. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

Given that Show Biz DE came out June of '16 and not a peep since; didn't they announce a 20th DE for Van's Healing Game, nothing but cricket sounds... I've stopped holding my breath with these Legacy projects for sure.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  3. KinkySmallFace1991

KinkySmallFace1991 Will you come back to me, Sweet Lady Genevieve?

Guilty as charged?

InStepWithTheStars likes this.
  4. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

Conclusion? This is a never=ending thread, isn't it?....:)

5. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

That particular point reached a conclusion. The point that, as of yesterday, things made sense. But that was yesterday! Onwards to nonsense!

bobcat likes this.
  6. KinkySmallFace1991

KinkySmallFace1991 Will you come back to me, Sweet Lady Genevieve?

One thing of note is that Dan Hesrch and Bill Inglot mastered the Yardbirds' content-excellent Ultimate! and the Faces' compilations Good Boys When They're Asleep (which sounds adequate) and Stay With Me: The Anthology as well as the boxsets Five Guys Walk Into A Bar... and You Can Make Me Dance Sing or Anything (CD version only). All of those (DR values and harsh bleeding highs seem to confirm this) are comparable to the SQ of the Kinks' 2011-14 Deluxes. The late Ian McLagan supposedly had a hand in the mastering of the Faces' stuff, but I don't know who had a hand with the Yardbirds.

Another thing posted in the Kinks' downloads thread really shed some insights into why the Deluxes sound the way they do...

7. LarryT

LarryT Forum Resident

8. Captain Groovy

Captain Groovy Senior Member

So with these new "Mastered for iTunes" or what have you - being released as HD, too. Do we know if these are Stereo or Mono? Per usual, HDTracks tells you less than nothing in the "About" tab of the albums.

I tend to really listen to Face to Face onward as complete albums, and not just "I'm on an Island", "Where Have All the Good Times Gone" and other early, early great originals I tend to pluck and play.

The Face to Face Kevin Gray-mastered vinyl one from 2015 is mono... but I know there is a stereo mix from 2011 on Disc 2 because of the Deluxe Set. This, to me, is when The Kinks shine in stereo - or perhaps I was just delighted because it was the first time I heard this album in stereo! A song like "Party Line", "Session Man" and "Rainy Day in June" - benefits greatly in the original stereo mixes IMO. To my ears, these songs especially shine/are needed in stereo. "Party Line" in mono doesn't sound much like a party to me compared to the stereo!

Anyway, this isn't about mono vs. stereo - I meant which are these 2018 digital issues for these 60s releases since they offer only one set?

Duh: Okay, don't have Spotify or iTunes so I sampled in HDTracks - Face to Face is mono. I really thought the point of this whole endeavor was to improve fidelity based on all the video of Ray and all the press stuff?

They all appear to be mono up to Something Else which is stereo.

Jeff

cwitt1980 and Reader like this.
  9. LarryT

LarryT Forum Resident

All 8 Hi-Def releases show up as Sanctuary Records ... and are on sale for $13.49 each at HD Tracks.
    Artist | HDtracks - The World's Greatest-Sounding Music Downloads

DR info is available on the HDTracks thread:
    Hi-Res Download News (HDTracks, ProStudioMasters, Pono, etc.) & Software/Mastering Part 12**

Captain Groovy likes this.
  10. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Matthew Tate and Captain Groovy like this.
  11. smiley69

smiley69 Forum Resident

And Mr Sandoval confirms the VGPS box on Facebook : "I am proud to have selected the tapes for this series and hope it will grow new Kinks fans. For the older fans who have heard it all before, let us allow some new people to discover this wonderful katalog. Currently working on a Village Green Preservation Society box set with some things you have not heard before!"

12. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

The stereo mix of Face To Face is from 1966.
    It's not very good IMO and the one Kinks album that I think is clearly superior in mono. Party Line and Session Man, apart from the phone ringing and harpsichord openings are basically mono. Rainy Day In June is missing some classic Kinks backing vocals. Little Miss Queen of Darkness has an electric guitar mixed up way too loud, obscuring the intricate jazzy-sounding acoustic guitar accompaniment.

william r small and Matthew Tate like this.
  13. WonkyWilly

WonkyWilly Forum Resident

I have no idea what you are talking about, since the stereo albums contain the mono mixes of some of those songs with stereo intros. There is seriously no difference beyond a loss of fidelity on the stereo master.

Laservampire and Adam9 like this.
  14. tonewheeltom

tonewheeltom Forum Resident

I would have bought the 24/96 versions without hesitation if they were the complete content of the deluxes (mono/stereo, singles, bonus tracks).

KinkySmallFace1991 likes this.
  15. Justin Brooks

Justin Brooks Forum Resident

trying to see if i need to keep my 2004 edition. i know the "Lola" mono single mix on the deluxe is the same as the 2004 reissue, but are Apeman [Demo, Mono, Alternate Mix] and Powerman [Demo] not included in the 2014 Deluxe Lola? Or is the 2004 Apeman Mono Alternate Mix the same as the Mono Alternate Version on the 2011 Percy disc? And/or is the 2004 Powerman demo the same as the Mono Mix Powerman on the Percy disc?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  16. Adam9

I'm pretty sure there are no unique tracks on 2004 disc, i.e., everything on there is found on the Deluxe. I think all of the tracks you mention are found on the latter.
    l got rid of the 2004 after I got the 2011.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  17. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

I think they're the same in terms of content.

The packaging was possibly very slightly different.

18. Justin Brooks

Justin Brooks Forum Resident

the packaging is definitely different. the 2014 edition adds the Percy disc and more unreleased takes. i know the "Lola" mono single mix is repeated from 2004 to the 2014 edition but i can't figure out if the other two 2004 bonus tracks are the same as similarly labeled tracks on the 2014 deluxe.

for example, the 2004 edition has an "Apeman" Mono Alternate Mix. I'm wondering if it's the same as the "Apeman" Mono Alternate Version on the 2014 edition. Version makes you think different take but it could mean a different mix too, which might make it the same track.

also, the 2004 edition has "Powerman" Demo. There is a Mono Mix of "Powerman" on the 2014 that is the same length but no indication it is a demo so i'm thinking this one might actually be different.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  19. raphph

raphph Taking a trip on an ocean liner…

Apologies in advance - I realise that the Kinks CDs I own (many) are in a mess in terms of which versions etc..

So which ones did Anesini master? I have his Everybody's In Showbiz 2CD...

I thought he remastered the 2CD Lola vs Powerman but that was Andrew Sandoval - which is also less compressed than the new HD version that came out this week....

What else did Anesini do?

20. swedgin

swedgin Forum Resident

Mussels Hillbillies legacy edition

Matthew Tate and raphph like this.
  21. Captain Groovy

Captain Groovy Senior Member

Apologies - I hear differently. Strange - is Face to Face one of those artificial stereo ones then aside from effects? Listening to the original stereo mix of "Rainy Day in June" and it's not just the obvious one-channel effects. It's a narrow mix, but wider and separation of acoustic guitar, etc. Is that artificial separation used back then?

I still prefer the stereo version, even if I'm alone in this. And its original - even if missing some more layers than the mono it's an original mix, not a redo.

Face to Face I feel is where Krunchy mono Kinks meets more studio experimentation - and nice to hear in stereo (for me).

Jeff

william r small and Reader like this.
  22. swedgin

swedgin Forum Resident

MUSWELL...... Feckin iphones!

Quincy likes this.
  23. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

Muswell Hillbillies on steroids?

swedgin likes this.
  24. Adam9

Rainy Day in June is indeed in stereo and is missing some harmony vocals. Holiday in Waikiki is in stereo too and the intro is longer. The rest of the tracks are basically mono or very narrow (much narrower than Rainy Day) with a couple of effects or echo in stereo. There are modern stereo mixes of some tracks appended to the end of the album proper on the Deluxe Edition).

25. Reader

Reader Senior Member

I'm another one who likes the stereo version of Face To Face. I flip back and forth with all the Kinks work in stereo and mono. Just depends on what I'm in the mood to hear but I do tend to listen to Face To Face in stereo. A beautiful album that I will not let any audio problems stop me from enjoying. I figure that these are part of the magic of the music and just enjoy as mush as possible. Can't believe it's over 50 years old.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.