Kinks Deluxe Editions 2011-2014 (Part Five)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mark, Jul 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Ok but how many vital cuts ate missing given we are short 2 CD's running time?

2. All Down The Line

That is ok as i am not at all fussed on the first 3 albums and am content with the singles cd (this came with a great bonus disc spanning many years) & The BB 2cd!

3. All Down The Line

The multi super deluxe is the new 3cd everyone has been referring to or it has even more disc's?

4. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

more. the 3d cd set we are talking about as released 10+ years ago

5. All Down The Line

As i read a bad review at the time i did not buy it and settled for my 98'

Matthew Tate likes this.
  6. swedgin

swedgin Forum Resident

In terms of tracks it’s fine, all the key outtakes are there but for the more hardcore fan of the album it’s key mixes, rather than tracks that are missing. The unique mixes from the 12 Track LP being one example, frustrating as there is clearly space left over to include them. I suppose they needed some incentive to get people to pony up for the big box.
    All being said, if I never owned the 3CD from 2004 or the 2014 Anthology I would buy the box, it’s as complete as we could have hoped it would be and now it’s dropped under £100 a bit more palatable price wise.

7. All Down The Line

100GBP?
    I have developed a sudden cough.
    Please call Dr Davies for me!

8. pobbard

pobbard Still buying CDs

Did anyone pick-up both the Deluxe Edition and Legacy Edition of Muswell Hillbillies? I picked up the former, but never the latter. I know the Legacy repeats most (but not quite all) of the audio from the Deluxe Edition, but also adds a DVD of 1972 live performances.

Here's what I am wondering: does the Legacy Edition have new/different liner notes as opposed to the Deluxe Edition?

9. EdwardDingle

EdwardDingle Well-Known Member

The Legacy Edition is vastly superior. Mastered by Vic Anesini at Sony.

The Deluxe Edition is a bright and compressed "Rhino" style job and the "Greatest Hits" remixes are bad needledrops!

10. LarryT

LarryT Forum Resident

Also, I believe that all of the Hi Res downloads (96kHz/24bit Legacy editions) are also mastered by Vic. (Anyone know?)
    I've read that they all sound better, as well.

15% coupon at HDTracks is good until 12/31/18.

Artist | HDtracks - The World's Greatest-Sounding Music Downloads

11. swedgin

swedgin Forum Resident

Tim Young did Kinks-Something Else.

12. pobbard

pobbard Still buying CDs

Thanks for this. I went ahead and picked-up the Legacy Edition. Sounds great!

Question about the DVD, for anyone who knows. The "Live at the Rainbow" documentary is lots of fun. Googling around, it appears that the original broadcast included at least one song not featured on the DVD ("Top of the Pops"). It also seems like the complete broadcast appears on the 2012 Kinks at the BBC box, so I'm guessing it's edited here on the Legacy Edition - correct?

13. hulloder72

hulloder72 Forum Resident

Excuse me, can you tell me if there are songs in the single editions that don't appear in the double deluxe?

To me it is only LINCOLN COUNTY present in the 2004 single CD edition of Something Else but not on Deluxe edition.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  14. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

Over the past few weeks I’ve been listening to the Kinks deluxe editions in sequence, starting with the debut. What a body of work, and I really love the deluxe editions for the stereo/mono mixes and bonus tracks that give a complete snapshot in time of each album’s era. Many, many UK artists have thrown away great tracks on singles and b-sides and EPs, but I’m not sure any artist ever did that to the same degree as Ray Davies.

15. hulloder72

Yes...but can you tell me if there are songs in the single editions that don't appear in the double deluxe?

16. Dave Hoos

Dave Hoos Nothing is revealed

I thought exactly the same thing when I first dived into the Deluxe reissues. Their '60's catalogue to me is unequaled by any other band when it comes to the amount of quality material. There's just so much great stuff. The truly amazing part is how much of it never made it on to albums .

17. Dave Hoos

I'm pretty sure that "There Is No Life Without Love" is only on the single CD release of Something Else. It's definitely not on the Deluxe.

18. hulloder72

yes you're right not LINCOLN C OUNTY but "There Is No Life Without Love",

Thanks Dave

Dave Hoos and Matthew Tate like this.
  19. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

Yes, the level of productivity from the debut through Arthur is insane. And, although Dave Davies slowly began to chip in, the Kinks’ songs weren’t a team effort like those of Lennon/McCartnry or Jagger/Richards. Ray carried the load pretty much alone. Maybe only Brian Wilson was as productive during that time, although he had more writing collaborators and help in general, I think.

20. FJFP

FJFP Host for the 'Mixology' Mix Differences Podcast

It can be found on Dave Davies’ Hidden Treasures CD, which is a essential companion to the 60s period.

21. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

yup

Dave Hoos and Shvartze Shabbos like this.
  22. FJFP

FJFP Host for the 'Mixology' Mix Differences Podcast

Also, is this “album” ever going to get a much needed vinyl issue? Love it if they used some vintage artwork, and made the spine text match that of the mono box albums.

KinkySmallFace1991 likes this.
  23. KinkySmallFace1991

KinkySmallFace1991 Will you come back to me, Sweet Lady Genevieve?

I've been saying that since this year is the 50th Anniversary of when it was originally planned for release!

@Dave Hoos you'll like this one, mate...

(Copied from the Kinks' Vinyl Reissues thread, Kinks Vinyl Reissues Discussion )

I may be in a minority but I'd like to see @andrewsandoval try and do a version of Dave Davies' Hidden Treasures on vinyl. It may be jarring to mix stereo and mono on vinyl (hey, the Stones did it for the ABKCO 2002 vinyl reissues), but apart from two tracks, it'd be all stereo.

I like that little album, fits in like a glove with that epic run from F2F-VGPS, and this modified tracklisting I did in a digital playlist in December 2015 makes it flow nicely:

Side 1:
    1. This Man He Weeps Tonight (mono mix, stereo mix sounds unfinished)
    2. Mindless Child Of Motherhood
    3. Hold My Hand
    4. Do You Wish To Be A Man?
    5. Are You Ready, Girl?
    6. Creeping Jean (mono sounds too congested)
    7. Crying

Side 2:
    1. Lincoln County (longer sterero version with extra verse, my favorite version of the track)
    2. Mr Shoemaker's Daughter
    3. Mr Reporter
    4. Groovy Movies
    5. There's No Life Without Love
    6. Good Luck Charm (Studio Version, only mono exists for a period mix)

24. Dave Hoos

No problem, mate.

25. Dave Hoos

Nice one, Jake. I might have to put this on the iPod for the car or van.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.