Kinks Deluxe Editions 2011-2014 (Part Five)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mark, Jul 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

The liner notes of the VGPS deluxe set indicate that "Berkeley Mews" was recorded between January and March 1968. Arnie

pobbard likes this.
  2. clearvinylsounds

clearvinylsounds Forum Resident

First time poster here, though I have stumbled on this forum time and again when searching for answers to various questions, so I decided to join. Interesting and disappointing about the packaging for the new deluxe "Lola..." being in a jewel case not digipak. I don't know really know the answer to the "Berkeley Mews" vs. "Part One" question on the "Village Green" 3 disc deluxe edition except that, in 1968, "Berkeley Mews" was supposedly intended to appear in the US on the unreleased "Four More Respected Gentlemen" (Reprise unused catalog number RS 6309) instead of the 15 track "Village Green Preservation Society" album that ultimately was issued in early 1969.

I have replied/added a question to this particular post (as opposed to any of the other posts) because I agree with the comment about The Kinks having a problem with consistency. My comment is that, maybe (hopefully) with the new reissue program, "The Kinks in Mono" box set will be reissued. I was one of those few who didn't think that it would sell out so quickly (yes, I was similarly surprised by the massive, quickly gone Sandy Denny box set; I guess I just don't learn). My question is, ntil the 2014 "Lola..." deluxe reissue, I understood that only a few of the "Kinks in Mono" tracks were otherwise unreleased so, with this "Lola..." reissue, which tracks remain exclusive to the "Kinks' in Mono"?

Thanks.

3. swedgin

swedgin Forum Resident

I think just the alternate mixes of Beautiful Delilah, I'm a Lover Not a Fighter and the edit of Australia. The Kinks in Mono set is missing Mr Pleasant and This is Where I Belong so I never bothered with it and was happy with the deluxes.

Oh and a new mastering of Village Green in Mono.

Chris Haley likes this.
  4. LX200GPS

LX200GPS Forum Resident

Yep, given the choice of the mono box set and all the PYE era Deluxes you would have to opt for the Deluxes. Missing those two tracks on the box set was unforgivable. Yet another howler from Kinks Inc. The packaging looked nice though.

5. LX200GPS

LX200GPS Forum Resident

Fair enough. I suppose it was one of those tracks that could have appeared on either. Sure your name is not Arnos, as in Arnos Grove??

6. cc--

cc-- Forum Resident

while we're talking packaging, the copy of the 2011 Something Else I ordered from Amazon UK courtesy of this thread just arrived, and it's in a "Deluxe Collector's Edition" clear slipcase, rather than the kind of frosted wraparound banner that I recall my copies of F2F and Arthur coming in... can I be assured this is legit and part of the same series? Thanks.

7. NOS300B

NOS300B The Moon Queen

It's been newly reissued now that the ownership of Sanctuary Records has changed hands to Sony. In other words, it's legit and is considered to be part of the same series as the new Lola... remaster but is nearly identical to the previous Deluxes.

cc-- likes this.
  8. Summer of Malcontent

Summer of Malcontent Forum Resident

Any other rare or unique mixes on that album?

9. To me this loudness thing only gets in the way if you sit and AB different versions of records and sit and obsess about how they compare. I've never done this with all of my kinks originals or deluxe issues. So they sound great to me. I play them all of the time.

My ears have never bled. And I actually turn the stereo up louder

stef1205 and GetHappy!! like this.
  10. NOS300B

NOS300B The Moon Queen

I know the question wasn't meant for me, but the answer is yes, there are other versions exclusive to The Kinks Greatest - Celluloid Heroes, whether on the original LP or the iTunes variant. 20th Century Man is a remix edit from 1976 but can also be found on the Deluxe Edition of Muswell Hillbillies, so it doesn't make this iTunes download essential. But consider these:

1. Everybody's a Star (Starmaker) is edited and sped up. Unlike the version from the original LP The Kinks Greatest - Celluloid Heroes, it is in stereo.
    2. Sitting in My Hotel is a different mix, with the opening guitar appearing in the opposite channel and the creak at the beginning removed (the channels haven't merely been reversed, though). Also, the organ is greatly reduced in volume.
    3. Here Comes Yet Another Day is an otherwise unavailable live version recorded June 14, 1975 at New Victoria Theatre, London.
    4. Muswell Hillbilly is a remix edit from 1976, but can also be found on the Deluxe Edition of Muswell Hillbillies.
    5. Sitting in the Midday Sun is a wider stereo mix with a less harsh EQ. It was only through hearing this mix that this song became one my favorites; I prefer it that much.
    6. One of the Survivors is edited and remixed with slightly different lyrics. It is very similar to the single mix, but lacks the harmonica.
    7. Alcohol is edited from the live version on Everybody's in Showbiz.
    8. Skin and Bone is edited from the live version on Everybody's in Showbiz.

(A) Face in the Crowd and Celluloid Heroes are album versions, as on the original Celluloid Heroes. Holiday is the live version exactly as it appears on Everybody's in Showbiz, whereas the spoken intro had been trimmed for the original Celluloid Heroes LP. Note that the previous Celluloid Heroes CD did not include any of the unique versions listed above, and that it was Ray Davies and Konk engineer Roger Wake who compiled the original LP at Konk Studios in 1976.

I might add that the iTunes download is not loud at all and does not have bright or harsh EQ.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2014
  11. GetHappy!!

GetHappy!! Forum Resident

What NOS300B said.

NOS300B likes this.
  12. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

The MH DE has needledrops.

Stereo on the LP.

13. GetHappy!!

GetHappy!! Forum Resident

The mono was on the Soap Opera reissue.

14. NOS300B

NOS300B The Moon Queen

Thanks for the correction. Since I couldn't remember and my turntable hasn't been set up for years I was relying on this source which claims it is mono: http://kindakinks.net/discography/showrelease.php?release=223

The MH DE does indeed have needledrops. I hear surface noise on the iTunes download for those two tracks as well, though. Aren't they also needledrops?

15. NOS300B

NOS300B The Moon Queen

That's a little different, though, because it's unedited on the Soap Opera reissue CD.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2014
    GetHappy!! likes this.
  16. Summer of Malcontent

Summer of Malcontent Forum Resident

Thanks very much - sounds like it's worth a purchase!

17. Paul Saldana

Paul Saldana jazz vinyl addict

Throw on a 1987 Beatles CD (on which some of the peaks hit zero). Now without adjusting the volume, remove the Beatles CD and place in one of your newer Kinks CDs. If you can't hear loud then, there just is no hope.

mooseman, omranger and bobcat like this.
  18. I believe you but when I play music I'm just listening to that album. I have every single deluxe and I've enjoyed them since all their initial releases.

Taking out one cd and then playing another has never made me enjoy any album less. If I need to turn up or down the volume then I do. Kind of like I've been doing with albums since 1964.

Never felt this was a bad think until folks told me here a few years ago.

Me bad I guess

stef1205, johnnybrum, pdenny and 2 others like this.
  19. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

They may be louder, but in the case of these old KinKs recordings, they sound better than ever. So if it takes a little compression and limiting to liven them up, then I say bravo.

stef1205, cwitt1980, Mazzy and 2 others like this.
  20. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney

Judging by Shel Talmy's other work, like with The Who, the Talmy Kinks recordings were already pretty loud to begin with.

Chris R and cwitt1980 like this.
  21. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Yeah I don't think the goal was hi fidelity. It was impact.

pablo fanques and Mazzy like this.
  22. Paul Saldana

Paul Saldana jazz vinyl addict

Sure. That means the original production was quite compressed, and therefore additional was not at all necessary!

lukpac likes this.
  23. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Yesyesyesyes

24. They the same fulfillment warehouse as Best Buy for this stuff. I know as my daughter ordered something from Best Buy for Xmas and it arrived from Sears. It was also the wrong item. It also had a Sears invoice inside a Best Buy box.

Admittedly they are loud but it's really hard to say no to all of the bonus tracks.

RubenH likes this.
  25. Rock and roll is supposed to be loud :tiphat:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.