Kinks Deluxe editions 2011 (part 3)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by -Alan, Aug 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. -Alan

-Alan Senior Member Thread Starter

2. russell_smith

russell_smith Forum Resident

That would be semantics on my part, no it is different.

Brgds.

Russell

3. tumbledweeb

tumbledweeb Forum Resident

So Russell is lola coming out or not ?:) please

4. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

I wonder if this is a later(67-69 era) rerecording of I Am Free.

5. Matthew B.

Matthew B. Scream Quietly

The closest thing to a genuine title I've heard of for Dave's album is Lincoln County, the label on the reel brought over to Reprise in 1969. But I don't know who assigned it that name, or how seriously it was taken.

I don't know how the "Hole in the Sock of" name came to be applied to Dave's album, since it's from a throwaway joke Ray made about his own solo recordings. Unless they recycled that joke a time or two more ....

6. Billy Hunt

Billy Hunt Forum Resident

As Dave Davies is being discussed, here's a link to a thread in the Visual Arts forum on the recent Julien Temple BBC documentary Kinkdom Come, for anyone like me who missed it first time round.

7. russell_smith

Not at all...

The tape box is simply labelled Dave Davies and the Kinks, no title assigned.

Brgds.

Russell

8. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

Mystery.

Russell, can you disclose if Lola and Muswell be out before the end of the year?

9. Matthew B.

Fair enough. Doug Hinman's book is wrong on that, then.

10. russell_smith

Correct.

Brgds.

Russell

11. Matthew B.

Russell — if you're able to answer this — is Warner/Reprise still in physical possession of that tape, and the "spare tracks" reel delivered at the same time?

12. mjlynott

mjlynott Forum Resident

Russell is such a tease.

Doesnt this forthcoming release leave the arthur deluxe a bit redundant in terms of bonus tracks? As typical "making do" Kinks fans we are anticipating this new release not only because of hearing the three unreleased tracks in good quality but because we are getting to hear "There is No Life Without Love" which should have featured somewhere on the latest deluxes (should really have appeared on vgps deluxe along with lincoln county) and most of all a "no clicks" mono version of "This Man He Weeps." At Last!
    They really are milking it. It makes you wonder, that had the dave davies lost album been part of the original deluxe reissues, what would they have used for bonus tracks for arthur? Pictures In the Sand? Till Death Us Do Part? I think not!

I love Mindless Child Of Motherhood but soon I will have more versions than you could shake a stick at

13. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

Wow, apart from "Oobadiooba", "Pictures In The Sand" and "Till Death Us Do Part" pretty much everything that isn't an alternate take or mix is going to be on these reissues.

The tracklisting for my "Deluxe Kinks Kompanion" CD-R is getting smaller and smaller!

14. mindgames

mindgames Forum Resident

A quick question...

Can somebody please explain to me why the stereo mix on the newly remastered deluxe edition is a different mix to the Japanese K2 remaster I'm used to? What's the story behind this? I'm not quite sure which one I prefer...

edit: /facepalm I'm sorry. I'm asking about "Something Else".

15. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

Well, if you're not including the 2001 BBC sessions you can throw in "Living Room Light" and "Did You See His Name". And providing pristeen fidelity isn't a condition, you can add "Listen To Me", "She's My Girl" and "Darling I Respect You".

16. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

Which album are you asking about?

17. mindgames

mindgames Forum Resident

Whoops! Sorry, I'm asking about "Something Else".

18. Marry a Carrot

"Tin Soldier Man" and "Situation Vacant" were remixed in 1987, and the new mixes appeared on most CD releases including the K2 you mention. The deluxe edition uses the original 1967 mixes.

As far as I know the mixes are the same for the other songs.

19. mindgames

mindgames Forum Resident

Ah, I see! Thanks for that explanation. Those two are among my favourites of the album, so that's the reason I immediately heard it was a different mix, and thought the whole album was different mixed.

Is there any reason those 2 were remixed in 1987? Those remixes are a little bit easier to listen on headphones, and I think I prefer them. I will keep them, and put them in the deluxe edition for the iPod then.

20. Marry a Carrot

Doug Hinman speculates that the remixes may have been intended to fix the out-of-phase vocals, or that the tapes may have been lost. But I don't think we know for sure.

And I now notice that Matthew B. mentioned in another thread that the remixes were released as early as 1981, which would obviously make the 1987 remix date (also from Hinman's book) incorrect.

21. Laservampire

Also, those two remixes on your K2 are the most complete versions you can get, most other CDs cut off the intro to "Tin Soldier Man" and the coda on "Situation Vacant" :righton:

22. Laservampire

I always forget about the BBC set, haha.

Nah, my komp is going to be studio quality only :righton:

23. NOS300B

NOS300B The Moon Queen

"Did You See His Name" does appear on the Deluxe Edition of Village Green Preservation Society, although only in its mono mix.

24. swedgin

swedgin Forum Resident

25. NOS300B

NOS300B The Moon Queen

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.