Kinks Deluxe editions 2011 (part 3)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by -Alan, Aug 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DayRavies

DayRavies Forum Resident

2. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

I've only heard the commercial once, I thought it was a sound-alike recording, but I was in the other room so I can't be sure.

3. LarryT

LarryT Forum Resident

This web site only shows the newer picture.

4. TMan

TMan Forum Resident

The other one showed both. Maybe the CDs go in the red box, and that box and everything else goes in the record player box. :confused:

5. Jason Michael

Jason Michael Senior Member

Somewhat off-topic, but still neat for Kinks fans- one of last night's new episodes of CBS's "How I Met Your Mother" used the Kinks' "Victoria" in several scenes. I was watching with my wife and daughters, but unfortunately I was the only one who recognized the song. Culture is lost on them! I've gotta play that stuff more around them...

6. KinksFan1992

KinksFan1992 Forum Resident

Andrew Sandoval (from the KPS Digest): 'It should be noted that I did a brand mono mastering of VGPS for this set and fixed a few other issues from the Deluxe Editions (like This Man He Weeps Tonight).'

Ach. So much for me not buying this set. I'm really torn now.

Could a new mono master of VGPS be worth it? Can it possibly outdo the deluxe edition?

7. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

I guess there's always room for improvement. I'll be buying anyway :laugh:

8. KinksFan1992

The release date for Hidden Treasures has been changed on HMV now.

So we definitely won't have it until Hallowe'en.

9. mindgames

mindgames Forum Resident

Yes, also changed to October 27 over here...

10. DayRavies

DayRavies Forum Resident

Amazon US still says Oct. 4, but they're pretty bad about updating Import dates. It probably won't get updated until after we pass Oct. 4...

Probably won't actually get it until mid November, but I snagged a pretty good deal at a $12 preorder which is a good price for an import. Usually, for me, it's cheaper just to order straight from UK, but with the price I got for my preorder, it works out a buck or two cheaper this way.

11. LarryT

LarryT Forum Resident

Amazon now $11.48 ... but I think if you pre-ordered, you get the lowest price anyway.

For those who don't like Amazon, DeepDiscount.com has it for $11.15.

BTW - DeepDiscount says Nov 8.

:cheers:

12. LarryT

LarryT Forum Resident

13. DayRavies

DayRavies Forum Resident

Nice price watching! I'm going to stick with my Amazon preorder because I have a Prime account which gets me FREE shipping on all orders. But still, I'm sure this info is helpful to others.

Also thanks for noticing the supposed Nov 8 US release date. That's sooner than I thought it would be.

14. LarryT

LarryT Forum Resident

With the free shipping ... it's probably about the same price anyway.

:edthumbs:

15. DayRavies

DayRavies Forum Resident

So as long as there's nothing real to talk about, I vote we speculate. If they were to do a Deluxe Edition of Preservation (word is: Andrew Sandoval is working on more Kinks Deluxes in London), do you think it should be combined as a 2-3 disc Deluxe of Acts I & II or do you think each Act could carry its own weight as a 2 disc deluxe?

Here's my thought: I think there's just enough relevant bonus content to release a really focused three disc Deluxe with roughly the following:

Disc One: Preservation Act I (Original Stereo Album)

Disc Two: Preservation Act II (Original Stereo Album)

Disc Three: Preservation Act III (Rarities)
    1. Preservation (single)
    2. One of the Survivors (single version)
    3. One of the Survivors (Celluloid Heroes LP mix w/ different last verse)
    4. One of the Survivors (mono mix - from promo single)
    5. Scrapheap City (single w/ Ray vocals)
    6. Sitting in the Midday Sun (alt. mix from Celluloid Heroes LP)
    7. Money Talks (single edit)
    8. He's Evil (single edit)
    9. Mirror of Love (US single mix)
    10. Mirror of Love (UK single mix)
    11. Slum Kids (live)
    12. Money & Corruption/I Am Your Man (longer edit from Rhino CD)
    13. I'm Going Home
    14. Time Song
    15. Picture Book (possible '73 rerecording)
    16. People Take Pictures of Each Other (possible '73 rerecording)
    17. The Village Green Preservation Society (possible '73 rerecording)
    18. For You
    19. Using Me
    20. Demolition (BBC)
    21. Money Talks (BBC)
    22. Money Talks (BBC - Hippodrome)
    23. Mirror of Love (BBC)

That seems to me like it'd be a pretty awesome set. I don't know if all of it would fit onto the third disc or not, but some of the single edits could be dropped since the Deluxes thus far have not included any shorter edits of the same mixes, and some of those unreleased studio tracks per Doug Hinman (tracks 13-19) may have been lost or never recorded in the first place. I was simply including everything I knew about or found in Hinman's book or Emlen's discography that seemed relevant. Did I miss anything?

I can't really see justifying two disc Deluxes for each album separately, unless they released lots of live takes from the Preservation tour but I don't know how they would split that up. Any ideas?

16. TMan

TMan Forum Resident

great price, messed up website. It won't let me set up a notification when available ("website error") and there is no preorder option.

17. maclean

maclean Forum Resident

One rhetorical question pops: will they surprise us with a good mono Apeman (and Rats) in the mono box?

18. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

Hopefully!

19. maclean

maclean Forum Resident

20. KinksFan1992

Yep, the Apeman and Rats mono single mixes are there. I expect these will also be on the deluxe Lola.

As is the Australia Australian single edit! This will make the box set necessary for Kompletists. Oh dear!

I don't know why Beautiful Delilah and I'm a Lover Not a Fighter are duplicated among the collectibles. I don't know of any alternative mono mixes. Possibly exciting.

21. LarryT

LarryT Forum Resident

Do we know for sure yet ... if there will be a Deluxe Lola?

:confused:

22. KinksFan1992

I think we do. We just don't know anything about it, what has been approved or when to expect a release date, track listing, etc.

I presume the other Afternoon Tea will be the Canadian mono single mix with backwards guitar (which is already on the SE deluxe).

23. LarryT

LarryT Forum Resident

I haven't seen any official word on it, anywhere.

Did Andrew or Russell (or anyone else) "tip us off", in any way ... or are we just trying to "will it" to be true?

I know that I am.

24. Matthew B.

Matthew B. Scream Quietly

Well, there are the comments at Ray's site. But there've been mixed signals from other quarters. Keep in mind the previous aborted releases of Dave's solo album, or the Ray covers compilation. Until Universal makes an official announcement, it's premature to say Deluxe Lola is a sure thing. Maybe not even then.

That said, it's clear enough that they're working on it, and I'll be surprised if it isn't released some time in the next 12 months.

25. DayRavies

DayRavies Forum Resident

Mixed signals? You're starting to freak me out. To what are you referring? Has someone hinted that there won't be a Deluxe Lola and Muswell Hillbillies??

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.