Kinks Deluxe editions 2011 (part 3)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by -Alan, Aug 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mjlynott

mjlynott Forum Resident

From what Russell said I initially assumed that the track was re-recorded in 1969, but I cant differentiate between "alternate version" and "alternate mix." Dave's vocals on both current versions are distinctly "1966" ish. But its quite a basic song anyway so I can't see how it could be improved upon in 1969. Hope I'm wrong.

As an afterthought, note how daves voice improved considerably on recordings after 1966. More hoarse and heartfelt than the earlier rasp (excepting "Wait Till The Summer Comes Along.")

"I'm rambling now

2. mjlynott

mjlynott Forum Resident

and another thing........ Just listened to the stereo mix of "plastic man" for the first time. Between 1.40 - 1.50 are those John Daltons deep vocals saying "plastic man" in response to Ray or is it just Ray? Accoring to Doug Hinmans great book they overdubbed Johns bass part over pete quaife's but maybe its just the vocals. Must have been an initiation of sorts

3. PanaPlasma

PanaPlasma Forum Resident

How is the sound quality for these Deluxe Editions?

Most of the tracks on the Deluxe Editions seem to have DR 7-8, which frightens me.

4. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

People generally like them. About the only digital masterings some prefer over these are the old PRT discs. Otherwise, they're the best sounding digital Kinks out there and easily available.

5. PanaPlasma

PanaPlasma Forum Resident

Thanks for the info!

6. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

:thumbsup:

7. DayRavies

DayRavies Forum Resident

Do any of you Kinks gurus have any speculations about the content we may see on the Lola and Muswell Hillbillies deluxe reissues? Neither was released in mono and each represented two of the skimpiest titles as far as bonus content is concerned in previous CD releases...

I noticed that on thekinks.info, the website says of Muswell Hillbillies, " this deluxe edition comes with a bonus disc of unreleased performances many being heard for the first time." That sounds promising....

Surely they can't just fill these out with nothing but BBC tracks. On the BBC Sessions album, there's just a couple of versions of Skin and Bone and one of Holiday from Muswell and nothing from Lola.

Any educated guesses or logical wetdream desires for 2nd disc content for these two klassics?

8. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

No idea on Muswell, but there's not much known stuff that could go on Lola:

"Lola" mono single mix (Cherry Cola version)
    "Apeman" mono single mix (tape lost)
    "Rats" mono single mix
    "Apeman" (US mono version with re-recorded "foggin")
    "Apeman" (mono alternate version from Denmark single/1998 remaster)
    "Apeman" (stereo mix of alternate version from Portugal single)
    "Powerman" (mono demo version from 1998 remaster)

plus a few BBC tracks.

9. Makes me wonder if they are going to throw on a vintage live concert for disc two or all of "Percy".

10. dolstein

dolstein Senior Member

The last reissue had a couple of Ray's demo recordings for the album. There are probably more where those came from. There were rumors of a Lola Part 2. No idea whether any tracks were actually recorded for that project.

I do hope we'll finally get the original mono single mix of Apeman -- even if it has to be a needle drop.

11. Laservampire

At least knowing Andrew it'll be an excellent needledrop :righton:

12. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

I'm pretty sure in Hinman's book, he said some basic backing tracks were recorded for Lola Pt. II but never finished. Some of these may have ended up on Percy for all we know. I'm definitely interested in the bonus content for this particular release. I'm hoping we don't have 5 to 6 mixes (that includes BBC) each of "Apeman" and "Lola." Maybe there's some good soundboard recordings of shows that exist. Isn't there a Fillmore show from '69 that was soundboard. I have a boot of it somewhere and I'd imagine there's got to be a better sounding source than the one I've heard.

13. That's what I was thinking of when I mentioned a live show for the deluxe--I know I used to have a couple of really good ones when I was living in L.A. (some disappeared over the years with the various moves for college).

14. DayRavies

DayRavies Forum Resident

Ooh - that's right, I had forgotten about the mention of some backing tracks and possible other fragments recorded for the abandoned Kinks, Part Two album.

That's probably wishful thinking but it should would be a rare treat to get Parts One and Two together in one package.

15. russell_smith

russell_smith Forum Resident

Are you sure? Only the production masters existed at that point in time.

One can remaster from the production master. But, not remix from them.

Brgds.

Russell

16. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

As noted in a later post, the date seems to be incorrect.

17. russell_smith

russell_smith Forum Resident

the same applies for 1981 as well.

Brgds.

Russell

18. Laservampire

Maybe Andrew can enlighten us as to the origin of the alternate mixes?

19. DayRavies

DayRavies Forum Resident

So what's the deal with the Dave Davies album title? Russell confirmed it is Hidden Treasures... and Amazon had changed the title to Hidden Treasure a few days ago, but I looked at it today to see if they had uploaded any picture art and now they're calling it "The Album That Time Forgot."

First it was "Dave Davies Lost Album" by The Kinks
    Then "Hidden Treasures" by Dave Davies
    Now "The Album That Time Forgot" by Dave Davies

http://www.amazon.com/Album-That-Ti...=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1314064931&sr=1-1

Add to that: on amazon.co.uk it's:
    "Dave Davies Lost Album / Hidden Treasures" by The Kinks

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dave-Davies...NUQ8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1314065233&sr=8-1

And SpinCDs has it listed as
    "Dave Davies Lost Album (Hidden Treasures)" by The Kinks but they're the only ones with cover art and that art clearly says: "Dave Davies: The Album That Time Forgot"

Have any illumination on the cause of the title/artist/coverart confusion, Russell?

20. NOS300B

NOS300B The Moon Queen

Russell did state that Universal had supplied a version of the cover that had since been changed. I was never sure if it was only the logo that was different, though, and he seems to want to leave a few surprises for September. He did say that Hidden Treasures was the approved title.

21. NOS300B

NOS300B The Moon Queen

I see that Amazon.com (the US site) is now stating that the Dave Davies CD will be an import-only title, so the question of how this one could be released here whereas all the Deluxe Editions were import-only has now been answered: it couldn't be released here.

22. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

Here's a list of known original Ray and Dave compositions from 1964-9 that haven't made the latest reissue, in descending states of obscurity:

PREVIOUSLY RELEASED, OUT OF PRINT

Pictures in the Sand
    Till Death Us Do Part

BOOTLEG ONLY, CURRENTLY UNRELEASABLE QUALITY:

Listen to Me
    She's My Girl
    Darling I Respect You

NO KINKS/Ray Davies RECORDING HAS SURFACED, BUT VERIFIABLY DISTINCT SONGS:

One Fine Day (rec. by Shel Naylor)
    I Bet you Won't Stay (rec. by The Cascades)
    Emptiness (recorded by Honeycombs)
    King of the Whole Wide World (rec by Leapy Lee)
    Little Man in a Little Box (rec by Barry Fantoni)
    Oh what a day it's gonna be (rec by Mo and Steve)
    Sir Jasper (aka Lilacs and Daffodils)
    If Christmas Day could last forever (this and following 6 titles recorded by Jeannie Lamb)
    We're Backing Britain
    Poor Old Intellectual Sadie
    Could be you're getting Old
    Just a Poor Country Girl
    The Man Who Conned Dinner From The Ritz
    That's What the World is All about
    We Are Two of a Kind
    Let's Take Off All Our Clothes

TITLES ONLY, POSSIBLY REWORKED INTO OTHER TRACKS

It's You
    Fallen Idol
    Girl Who Goes to Discoteques
    Everybody wants to be a personality
    You Ain't what you used to be
    Fancy Kitchen Gadgetry
    Could be Right Could be wrong
    Give My Fondest Regards to Her
    I can't wait to see you smile
    Beginning
    Au Nom de la Loi?
    We All Make Mistakes

23. tumbledweeb

tumbledweeb Forum Resident

Not to mention the version of "Tell me now so I'll know" that was doing the rounds on various boots. Why they picked that version that ended up on the kinda kinks deluxe is beyond me, the original boot had loads charm and a great mysterious quality in the guitar work. :) One of the few disappointments in an otherwise great reissue series.

24. Matthew B.

Matthew B. Scream Quietly

Doug Hinman's You Really Got Me discography dates the Something Else remixes to 1967, as quoted by Shawn1968 here:

The earliest date I'm aware of for their release is 1979, on a German PRT/Ariola reissue of Something Else.

25. Matthew B.

Matthew B. Scream Quietly

Hinman says that the Kinks booked recording time for Part Two in December 1970 and January 1971, but the January dates were cancelled. It's unknown whether anything was recorded in December or not. All of that postdates the Percy recordings, by the way.

The Kinks themselves recorded their 1970 show at the PNE in Vancouver, so if the tapes are still around that's a possibility. But for a bonus disc with Lola, you'd figure a 1971 show would be a better match.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.