Kinks Deluxe editions 2011 (part 3)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by -Alan, Aug 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marvin

Marvin Senior Member

I'm sure it was and I wasn't seriously expecting them to issue it.

But didn't it also include "The Way Love Used To Be" which also isn't being released on a DE?

2. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

Well, all righty then!

There's hope.

BTW - I was serious about a Kinks film music comp. Celuloid Kinks is too good a title to pass up.

3. jwstl

jwstl Forum Resident

After reading a number of posts here I decided to order all the current deluxe editions. I'm looking forward to hearing them.

4. mjlynott

mjlynott Forum Resident

Its quite a good interview. Looking forward to the next one with Mick Avory et al. Have you bought the bbc box? I wondered if the colour me pop segment differs in quality to the one you posted on you tube?

5. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

I have the box, it's great. The CMP on there doesn't differ much as far as I can hear, though I'm no audiophile and there may be subtle differences. The dog barking etc is still intact, as many have noted above. Despite the poor quality, I'm glad the decision was taken to include the remains of the CMP, as it was a unique show/extended performance by the band at probably their most feted (in retrospect!) phase. Though mostly mimed, it's the closest there ever was to a recorded full length set by the late 60s VGPS era band.

6. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

The Great Lost Kinks Album DE:

1. Til Death Us Do Part - acoustic demo
    2. Til Death Us Do Part - mono mix
    3. Til Death Us Do Part - alt mono mix
    4. Til Death Us Do Part - instrumental track, early take
    5. Til Death Us Do Part - instrumental track, no o/d
    6. Til Death Us Do Part - instrumental track, o/d, stereo remix
    7. Tl Death Us Do Part - TV soundtrack mono mix
    8. Til Death Us Do Part - 1969 stereo mix
    9. Til Death Us Do Part - stereo remix
    10. Pictures in the Sand - alternate vocal, mono
    11. Pictures in the Sand - instrumental track, stereo
    12. Pictures in the Sand - mono
    13. Pictures in the Sand - stereo mix
    14. Pictures in the Sand - stereo remix with 2012 vocal
    15. The Way Love Used to Be - stereo remix

Hep Alien and Steve E. like this.
  7. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

I'd buy it! There's more great music on that than most artists acheive in their careers!

Steve E. likes this.
  8. Jack

Jack Senior Member

Where can I order?

9. nottenst

nottenst Forum Resident

Are there any plans to release the DVD from the Kinks at the BBC set separately?

10. dolstein

dolstein Senior Member

Perhaps there's a better place for me to post this question, but here goes . . .

My one gripe about the Kinks BBC box set is the omission from the DVD of the "Once More with Felix" performances of Last of the Steam Powered Trains and Picture Book. Both feature live vocals over a prerecorded backing track. Seriously, this is by far my favorite Kinks TV performance, and it's historically significant too - one of the final performances of the original line up, and I believe the ONLY video of the original line-up performing songs from Village Green Preservation Society.

The performances are available in very good quality on You Tube, so my question is . . . are these performances available on any legitimate DVD?

11. dajokr

dajokr Classical "Mega" Box Set Collector

Anyone heard any news on the next round? An extensive journey around the web with google left me with nothing...

12. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

Andrew Sandoval tweet: "Happy to be at work on the next 2 Kinks Deluxe Editions: Muswell Hillbillies and Lola vs. Powerman & The Money-Go-Round, Part One."

13. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

14. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

Yay! Want want want!

15. malco49

malco49 Forum Resident

well it's now 2013 any word on deluxe or expanded muswell hillbillies or lola....????

16. dajokr

dajokr Classical "Mega" Box Set Collector

Yes! Yes! Yes! YES! YES!!:pineapple:

17. malco49

malco49 Forum Resident

was that an old tweet or a current one? i have a cd of muswell hillbillies with two extra tracks and have never gotten lola on CD so am waiting to see if there is any actual timeframe....

18. howlinrock

howlinrock Forum Resident In Memoriam

Same here I have SACD of MH (which sounds great) and waiting for a new version of Lola.

19. Trainspotting

Trainspotting Senior Member

Since there's no mono versions of those two titles I wonder what will comprise the second disc? Probably live material.

20. schelti

schelti Forum Resident

Did you click on the word 'tweet' in the post by Marry a Carrot ?

21. malco49

malco49 Forum Resident

i just did and thanks

22. malco49

malco49 Forum Resident

i have the muswell hillbillies with two extra songs neither of which are very impressive.....hope there is more studio stuff from that era not sure live tracks would make it that essential.i only have lola on vinyl and do want a cd copy oh well only time will tell

23. DayRavies

DayRavies Forum Resident

In Doug Hinman's All Day and All of the Night, he writes that before recording Muswell Hillbillies, the Kinks cut about 20 demos including demo versions of all the songs on the album plus many songs that were never heard from again including one called "Rosie Rook."

Also, before they took the page down, thekinks.info had a page for the MH Deluxe and it had a nice little paragraph worded very differently than the writeups for other DE's that said something about a second disc of recordings many of which will be "heard for the first time."

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for those 20 demos.

Beyond that, there are the two songs from the last CD release, there a number of edits from the album on Celluloid Heroes that have never been released on CD but this reissue campaign has not really paid much attention to edits so far.

As for Lola versus Powerman, I don't have as much hopeful info, but there are rumors of some backing tracks for recorded for the abandoned Part Two LP, the song Climb Your Wall previously released on the Dave Davies Anthology is from around that era and has a sound that matches the album's aesthetic (in my opinion). Not to mention there are like 5 alternate single versions of "Apeman" and there are mono single cuts of "Lola" and "Rats" plus the demos from the Castle/Sanctuary CD. I'm sure there are a few surprises in the vault. It may be as skimpy as Kink Kontroversey was, but I suspect there is enough content to justify the Lola Deluxe (but I'm more excited about Muswell, hoping for those 20 demos).

Hep Alien and malco49 like this.
  24. Colin Allstations

Colin Allstations Forum Resident

This may not be available outside the UK, but the Lola and Muswell Hillbillies albums are the subject of the BBC's 'Mastertapes' podcast, with Ray Davies interviewed.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/series/mastertapes

edit: there are direct downloads if you scroll down

25. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

What live material exists from the Lola era?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.