Kinks Deluxe editions 2011 (part 3)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by -Alan, Aug 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DayRavies

DayRavies Forum Resident

So I was looking at some numbers and was wondering when we think the Lola and Muswell Deluxes may hit stores...

The first batch was released March 28, 2011
    The second batch June 20, 2011

That's roughly three months in between, and if Universal stuck to that schedule, that would put the next batch coming September 20ish.

Note: Dave Davies' Hidden Treasures is scheduled to release September 26 - right around the time I would expect the next batch of deluxes.

So what do you guys think, will Hidden Treasures round out the two deluxes to give us another Kinksy batch of three releases just like the last two batches or is Hidden Treasures all we're getting in September off-setting the Deluxes until as late as December?

I'm hoping September 26 brings us: Lola, Muswell Hillbillies, and Hidden Treasures. My only concern is that we've got info on the Dave album but absolutely nothing on the next two reissues except a promise on Ray's site that says they're coming "sometime later this year..."

2. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

I was under the impression that the remix of "Johnny Thunder" on the deluxe VGPS was made from a digitally synced 4-track tapes?

i.e. the first stage 4-track tape contained the individual drums/bass/guitar backing tracks, which was originally mixed down to a single mono track on the second 4-track tape, onto which the vocals and further guitar overdubs were added to the final 3 empty tracks.

3. KinksFan1992

KinksFan1992 Forum Resident

It would be great if the tapes for Live at Kelvin Hall survived, actually...

Quite a lot of the audience noise, especially during the songs, is clearly a loop. If it could be remixed without the loop, it would actually be a great-sounding concert album.

The recording isn't bad at all (yes, I know it's overdubbed, but so what). :)

4. Matthew B.

Matthew B. Scream Quietly

The Kelvin Hall masters were missing as of 1998. This unfortunately includes "Beautiful Delilah" (which you can hear them starting as the album winds down) and the second show they played that night.

5. KinksFan1992

That's a shame. It could've been a great reissue.

6. Matthew B.

The "Tin Soldier Man" and "Situation Vacant" remixes had a fairly widespread release. They turn up on a German LP issue of Something Else from 1979 and a Spanish issue from 1981. They were also sent to Japan at some point, since they appear on Universal Japan's "K2" remaster (in complete edits, unlike most of their CD appearances in the UK and Germany).

It would be interesting to know whether the remixes are on any old Japanese LPs. It seems plausible that they're on the Sounds Marketing System Something Else from 1983, since in other respects the mix choices on the "K2" CDs mirror the mix choices on the SMS LPs (Face to Face in mono, etc.).

7. Matthew B.

Too late to edit now, but I should have written "multis," not just "masters."

8. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Someone needs to find the Kelvin Hall tapes. Get on it Ray!

9. DayRavies

DayRavies Forum Resident

Can anyone with a better ear than mine help me to determine something?

With these new Deluxe editions with generally superior sound and more extensive bonus content, I was planning on paying forward the wealth by passing my old 2004 Sanctuary Midlines down to my Dad who only has the vinyl albums and almost none of the singles or bonus content on those reissues.

I've decided to keep the VGPS one for the 12 track sequencing (I don't have a programmable CD player to get the same effect with the deluxe) as well as Something Else which contains a unique alternate mix of Lazy Old Sun that they decided not to re-release with the Deluxe Something Else. And I will be keeping Kelvin Hall and Percy for obvious reasons (we'll see about Lola).

I was planning on giving my Dad: Kinks, Kinda Kinks, The Kink Kontroversey, Face to Face, and Arthur.

Then I read that the Mr. Reporter (1969) on the Arthur Deluxe is a different mix than the one released in 2004 on Face to Face, but after spinning both back to back, I couldn't tell a huge difference.

Can anyone confirm if the mixes are different enough and if there is any sonic value to the old Face to Face mix than warrants holding onto both? Also is there anything else that I may have overlooked as to why I should hold onto any of my other Santuary CDs?

Thanks for all the help!

10. russell_smith

russell_smith Forum Resident

The 'session' tape (before the days of multi-track) for Kelvin Hall, do indeed exist. Whilst some of the Kelvin Hall audience sound is a loop, not all of it is. Whilst the opening strains of "Beautiful Delilah" as the album concludes can be heard, the whole song from that performance is no longer extant.

Brgds.

Russell

11. gazebo

gazebo Active Member

The list of Kinks songs not on the Deluxe Editions should help you decide what to hold on to. The 98/04 Kontroversy/Face to Face/Something Else and Arthur all have tracks that have been omitted from the Deluxe versions, whether the differences are significant to you is another matter. This post describes the different mixes of the 1969 Mr Reporter

12. andrewsandoval

andrewsandoval Senior Member

You are correct, the Kinks during 1967/8 would usually record on two stages or more of four-track analog tapes, recording accross all four tracks. None of the multi-tracks I worked with to create the new mixes for bonus tracks had a mono mix printed on the final track. Johnny Thunder was synched up for the three CD VGPS from two stages of four tracks. Lazy Old Sun on the recent Something Else, is the first stage of four track before the final overdubs. Most of Face To Face is three track, before the Kinks started bouncing down their productions and using multiple stages of multitrack tapes.

I remixed all of Kelvin Hall for a Deluxe edition as well, but the crowd noise cannot be mixed out. There are crucial live parts of the performance on some of the crowd tracks. Only the final, edited four-tracks exist for this show currently.

13. NOS300B

NOS300B The Moon Queen

I really hope the Deluxe Edition of Live at Kelvin Hall with your stereo remix gets released.

14. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

+1 :righton:

15. KinksFan1992

I wonder what the track list would be like for a deluxe Live at Kelvin Hall.

Disc 1: Original mono and stereo albums, Disc 2: Stereo remix?

It'd be great if they could tag the L'Olympia concert onto the end of the second disc, too. A bootlegged video exists of that, there are some obscure tracks on it and it's good quality.

16. LarryT

LarryT Forum Resident

A little bit off track, but I thought this audience would be interested.

From the Ray Davies Facebook page:

First set of my US tour dates:
    Oct 30 New Orleans, LA – Voodoo Fest – City Park
    Nov 1 Atlanta, GA – Centerstage
    Nov 2 Charlotte, NC – Fillmore
    Nov 4 Pittsburgh, PA – Carnegie Music Hall
    Nov 6 Madison, WI – Barrymore Theatre
    Nov 8 St Paul, MN – Fitzgerald Theatre
    Nov 9 Milwaukee, WI – Pabst Theatre
    Nov 11 Chicago, IL – Chicago Theater
    Nov 13 Buffalo, NY – Center For The Arts
    Nov 18 Montclair, NJ – Wellmont Theater
    Nov 20 New York, NY – Beacon Theater
    Nov 23 Boston, MA – Wilbur Theater

A few extra comments after the announcement:

"some of the last few East coast dates will feature the choir, more details to follow soon. Sadly there will be no West coast or PNW dates on this run, next time"

"There will be another 6 or so shows back East/Midwest so please check back. The website should have links up soon with show details but check with local venues for on sale times"

:cheers:

17. Matthew B.

Fantastic news about the Deluxe Edition. How exactly did the recording for this one work? Did they use all four tracks on the Pye Mobile Recording Unit for the live recording? Did they bounce the live tracks down before adding the studio overdubs?

18. andrewsandoval

andrewsandoval Senior Member

Their exact methods are unknown. Suffice to say, all we have currently are the final edited four-track Frankenstein that they created.

19. jjay

jjay Forum Resident

Andrew,
    The question everyone is asking is, when will Lola be released?:winkgrin:

20. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

Not to mention Percy?

21. KinksFan1992

I think The Kinks in Mono box set is set for release on 14th November 2011, according to Universal in Denmark: http://universal.dk/releaseplan

Let's hope there's nothing new on there (for those of us who would rather not have to buy them again). I think it will just be a compilation of the mono discs from the Pye deluxe editions. I don't know about bonus tracks.

There's no sign of Lola and Muswell Hillbillies at the moment.

Amazon is still quoting 30th August 2011 as the release date for the SHM versions, but I highly doubt this.

22. DayRavies

DayRavies Forum Resident

Russell, Andrew, or anyone?

Is the "Alternate Mix" of Mr. Reporter coming up on Dave Davies' Hidden Treasues the same as the extended mix on the 98/04 Castle Face to Face with the longer fade-out and the awesome guitar licks? That's the only thing that has me holding onto my old Face to Face. I'd love to give it to my Dad - it's his favorite Kinks album and he loves but doesn't own the bonus tracks on the Castle release.

Unfortunately, I have to hold onto it for that alternate mix of Mr Reporter. Will the Dave Davies album free me up? A little hint?

23. Laservampire

From Russell Smith, posted on the KPS digest:

Looks like you're holding onto it!

24. DayRavies

DayRavies Forum Resident

Thanks! Don't know how I missed that.

25. Laservampire

Did you see the listing for The Village Green Preservation Society on the 26/09? Wonder what that one is? A version to match the spine art of the new deluxes?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.