Kinks Deluxe editions 2011 (part 3)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by -Alan, Aug 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KinksFan1992

KinksFan1992 Forum Resident

Yes, I overlooked it because I assumed it would be a reissue of the current deluxe edition.

You're probably right about an updated spine. I'm imagining a black one with plain white text to match the background of the front cover, in the style of the FTF and SE spines.

If there is nothing new (there shouldn't be), I won't be buying again just for the spine :p

2. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

If it is just a packaging variation, I probably won't bother as I'm going to get the Japan SHM CD Mini LP sleeve version.

That makes a LOT of packaging variations for the VGPS Deluxe!

2004 Sanctuary tri-fold
    2004 Japan tri-fold with tracklist in Japanese
    2004 Australian fatboy jewel-case version
    2009 Universal Deluxe Edition clear slipcase version
    2011 Universal Deluxe edition banner sticker version (maybe?)
    2011 Japan SHM Mini LP

:wtf:

3. NOS300B

NOS300B The Moon Queen

And you call yourself a KinksFan?

4. pig whisperer

pig whisperer CD Member

Do all of these use the same mastering? I have the 3 CD Sanctuary disc.

5. Laservampire

I've compared the original 2004, Aussie fatboy and 2009 and they're all identical.

6. KinksFan1992

I'm going through the great 'super duper' list, and some of the very few alternative mixes I don't have are:

Misty Water [1983 stereo mix]
    Spotty Grotty Anna [mono]
    Groovy Movies [1983 stereo mix].

Are the newer stereo mixes noticeably different from those on the VGPS deluxe?

I also wonder why an alternative mono mix of She's Bought a Hat Like Princess Marina ended up on the 1998 reissue.

7. NOS300B

NOS300B The Moon Queen

You didn't mention the 1983 instrumental stereo mix of "Pictures in the Sand" which is from the same 10" record. "Misty Water" has a centered lead vocal with backing vocals mixed to the left and is about eighteen seconds longer. "Groovy Movies" has quieter tambourine I think.

8. KinksFan1992

I have the instrumental Pictures in the Sand :).

Thanks for the information.

9. DayRavies

DayRavies Forum Resident

I compared the so called "alternate mono mix" and the standard mono mix on the Deluxe and could tell no discernible difference. All the levels seemed pretty much the same, and they clocked in at the same length.

Dave Emlen's discography says that the mono mix on the 98/04 Arthur is the same as the original mono version from the LP.

What am I missing? How is it an alternate mono mix?

10. Matthew B.

Matthew B. Scream Quietly

From what I recall the alternate mono "Marina" has more piano.

11. KinksFan1992

Yeah, it's noticeable especially in the first few seconds.

The alternative mono mix is more similar to the stereo mix in terms of instruments.

And there is what sounds like an echo on the vocals.

12. DayRavies

DayRavies Forum Resident

Not sure if this is the right place to put this but this is where all the Kinks afficinados are hanging out.

I won a copy of The Great Lost Kinks Album vinyl LP on eBay for $3.75 and it arrived today. The vinyl is in near mint condition - not a single scratch as far as I can tell. It has the original innersleeve and a blue paper insert. The cardboard cover is in G/VG condition with some ringwear and some chipping paper around the edges.

Did I get this on a lucky steal? Or is it more common than I thought?

13. Laservampire

You got a steal, that's usually a $20 album and the minty vinyl is the icing on the cake :righton:

Great sounding LP too!

14. maclean

maclean Forum Resident

Amazon Japan now says the release date for Lola & Muswell will be 2011/10/26.
    Also they mention something about an "unknown bonus track" for each cd.

Amazon UK, US, etc haven't updated their info yet,

15. KinksFan1992

Does this mean they are planning a simultaneous release of the deluxe and SHM versions?

Plus, I should think there are several unknown bonus tracks with two discs.

Maybe we can still hope that the deluxe versions will come a month earlier alongside Hidden Treasures, although we surely would have had product listings on Amazon by now and most likely artwork and track lists, unless the content has still not been confirmed.

16. Matthew B.

Matthew B. Scream Quietly

The Deluxe Editions are going to be SHM. The Japanese versions of this year's Kinks Deluxe Editions will all feature SHM discs and mini-LP packaging, though the cheaper European versions are widely available as imports.

I'm betting Universal Japan doesn't know much more about the upcoming releases than any of us here. They've had to reschedule Lola and Muswell in the first place because they announced them before anything was confirmed.

17. DayRavies

DayRavies Forum Resident

This is very exciting! I've never seen Ray before and Charlotte is only about 20 minutes away from where I live.

Can anyone who's seen him before tell me if he typically does meet-n-greets after his shows (a lot of acts I've seen do). I just want to know whether or not to bother bringing albums to get signed.

18. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

I've seen him 5 times, never met him. I wouldn't say he "typically" does meet and greets, (it's certainly not gonna be the kind of situation where he's waiting smiling behind a desk to sign photos after) but dedicated stage door huggers could be rewarded for perseverance.

19. LarryT

LarryT Forum Resident

More info on the tour:

Three more tour dates announced:
    Nov 12 Cleveland - House of Blues
    Nov 19 Philadelphia - Temple Performing Arts Center
    Nov 22 Albany, NY - Swyer Theater, The Egg

The shows leading up to Nov 16 the will feature Ray and the 88, the shows after this will feature Ray with his band and the shows on the 18,19,20,23 will also feature the choir

The previous list of dates:

Oct 30 New Orleans, LA – Voodoo Fest – City Park
    Nov 1 Atlanta, GA – Centerstage
    Nov 2 Charlotte, NC – Fillmore
    Nov 4 Pittsburgh, PA – Carnegie Music Hall
    Nov 6 Madison, WI – Barrymore Theatre
    Nov 8 St Paul, MN – Fitzgerald Theatre
    Nov 9 Milwaukee, WI – Pabst Theatre
    Nov 11 Chicago, IL – Chicago Theater
    Nov 13 Buffalo, NY – Center For The Arts
    Nov 18 Montclair, NJ – Wellmont Theater
    Nov 20 New York, NY – Beacon Theater
    Nov 23 Boston, MA – Wilbur Theater

20. kinkling

kinkling Forum Resident

Mine arrived today. Odd little collection. Most of the Beat Club and BeatBeatBeat clips that have been around forever, along with the Dead End Street, Starstruck, Apeman, and Come Dancing/Don't Forget to Dance promos. Only a few that I hadn't seen--Sunny Afternoon is a promo clip (in the snow!), Tired of Waiting uses a French tv show setting up the Kinks as its visuals, which was a change, a couple of Dutch tv appearances (Wonderboy included), and a promo for Sitting In The Midday Sun that I had no idea existed. I was kind of hoping it was the just the Japanese laserdisc, but it is a wholly new compilation, not worth import prices, but okay nonetheless.

21. Mine arrived the other day. While I can understand not-very-good video quality on the older clips (original elements are probably long gone), I was suprised at the low video quality of 'Come Dancing' and 'Don't Forget To Dance'. Looks like they were taped off MTV.

22. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

Marketing at it's best

23. NOS300B

NOS300B The Moon Queen

Could you please elaborate on "the Japanese laserdisc" or give a link (kindakinks.net?) that describes it?

24. KinksFan1992

For a comprehensive compilation of Kinks videos, I'd recommend:

The bootleg All Aboard (The Great Lost Kinks DVD)
    Return to Waterloo/Come Dancing with the Kinks
    The Live Broadcasts
    The bootleg TV Trax
    One for the Road

I think that covers pretty much everything. There might be odd clips - like the Sitting in the Midday Sun promo - that aren't included, but you can grab them from YouTube.

I listened to Arthur again today (mono and stereo back-to-back) and I was enjoying the mono mix - it's certainly smoother than the one from the Pye box set - but then when the stereo mix came on, it was a real wow factor in comparison. It's such a good, immersive mix in my opinion.

25. kinkling

kinkling Forum Resident

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.