Kinks Deluxe editions 2011 (part 4)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Jan 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MilesSmiles

MilesSmiles Oenologist Thread Starter

2. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

Further to my earlier post, can I make a plea for the Lola reissue to include all single mixes, even if they have to be sourced from a 45? Give us everything that was released officially...please.

goodiesguy and tonewheeltom like this.
  3. Trainspotting

Trainspotting Senior Member

I wonder if there's any chance these next two reissues could be slightly less loud than the last six.

4. Six Bachelors

The recording of them is probably better than the Pye stuff so there may be more subtlety jn them to begin with. I wouldn't complain if they're mastered more...sympathetically, but I don't mind the mastering on the first six too much because the mixes themselves seem pretty cluttered and smashed to me.

5. LSP2003

LSP2003 Senior Member

A question that I know that has been answered before, but if I get all of the 2cd deluxe versions, do I need to keep any of the old single disc (the last reissue) versions of the same albums?

6. LSP2003

LSP2003 Senior Member

7. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

Yes.

8. DayRavies

DayRavies Forum Resident

Kinks - no

Kinda Kinks - no

Kink Kontroversey - YES, for an alternate version of Dedicated Follower of Fashion (but it's also available on the Picture Book box set so if you have that then no)

Face to Face - YES, for an alternate mix of Mr. Reporter

Something Else - YES, for an alternate version of Lazy Old Sun (as well as There Is No Life Without Love unless you got the Dave Davies Hidden Treasures release)

VGPS - no

Arthur - YES, for an allegedly alternate mono mix of She's Bought a Hat Like Princess Marina (though I personally cannot tell a difference)

Kinks scholars, correct me if I'm wrong on any of this or leaving anything out.

qtrules, nowhereman87 and LSP2003 like this.
  9. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

Yes, if there could be little to no compression in the mastering these deluxe editions could really be definitive.

10. Trainspotting

I think the last batch of reissues could quite possibly be the loudest '60s CDs I own.

11. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

Throughout these 3+ threads, people have been nearly unanimous in loving the sound -- this is the first I'm hearing of any of them being "loud." I don't have any of them (yet), so can anyone else chime in here? Thanks...

12. howlinrock

howlinrock Forum Resident In Memoriam

I thought they sounded great. They used the best source tapes available to date. That's my 5 cents.

JP M. likes this.
  13. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

I agree. They are better, to me, than all previous versions I've heard. That's all that matters.

JP M. likes this.
  14. fortherecord

fortherecord Senior Member

I haven't heard any of these yet. I really miss when there were commercial records stores that used to stock all these reissues to hold, look over and buy, but those days are past. I'm much less likely to order things online, so I guess I'm missing out on stuff like this. Having bought all the '98 reissues, are these really better sounding enough to warrant replacing those?

15. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

They're not that loud and they're not very compressed. People are just being picky and have nothing else to complain about today. They sound great! These early recordings were not very dynamic in the first place.

JP M. likes this.
  16. Trainspotting

Just curious, if they're not loud then what sixties reissues are in your opinion?

17. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

For others, like me, they are cleary worse than the PRT CDs (with the exception of Kinda Kinks). Bright, harsh and compressed is what they are to me.

C6H12O6 likes this.
  18. peteneatneat

peteneatneat Forum Resident

They sound great.

19. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

So it's settled then! :D

20. Sean Murdock

That's what passes for "settled" around here.

21. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Extreme opinions with no common ground? :)

22. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

As with ALL Andrew Sandoval remasters -- they sound fine. Especially, in light of the less-than-optimal quality of the original recordings, I'd say this is as good as these songs can sound. I have many of the PRT's, and when you adjust for volume, the new remasters sound better.

What really gets me is this -- the lack of understanding of what it is the remastering engineers face. Steve Hoffman once made a list of all the complicated EQ adjustments that would be necessary to make these Kinks records sound good. The EQ choices were needed to UNDO bad EQ choices made at the time of recording or mixing. None of these things were done on the PRT's. I'd wager a pint or two that Mr. Sandoval DID exercise these EQ moves. But the recordings are never going to be of a quality you might hear on a Beatles record, even with the best mastering in he world.

What really rankles is, these unfounded complaints about 'loudness' actually serves to undermine the legitimate complaints of mastering overreach when they occur, which is most definitely NOT the case here.

Rubber Soul and Mazzy like this.
  23. Six Bachelors

I think it would to be hard to argue they don't sound far better than the 98/04 editions. They're definitely not gentle but, as several people have noted, the masters can hardly sound that good. I think the deluxe editions are wonderful packages. Not perfect, but wonderful.

Revolver and fortherecord like this.
  24. Sean Murdock

Yep.

25. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

The Deluxes are not as fun to listen to at high volume as the PRTs, that's for sure.

Despite the brightness and compression, the big positives are that there isn't any intrusive NR like some of the '98 Castles, and the excellent new sources used for many of the bonus tracks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.