Kinks Deluxe editions 2011 (part 4)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Jan 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thanks!

But it kind of underscores my point about the unbridled greed of the majors...Deluxe Editions released a mere three years ago will now be trumped by new versions with a few extra tracks apiece...? Wouldn't a collection of these new tracks be fairer to the consumer, ie. "Kinks Rarities 196X–197X"? (Or something catchier with a "K" alliteration used, perhaps?)

I dunno. It all just puts me in mind of the advent of the CD, when record companies all said, "yeah, they're expensive now, but prices'll go down as production increases"–which I don't remember happening. And endless re-re-reissues...I have five (or more) different versions of certain favorites, because bonus tracks or remasters or...aaargh! It just seemingly never ends...

2. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

I don't know if that's the case.

There are others here who know a lot more than me but my understanding is that the record company that issued the Deluxes has been sold or taken over and that the company that has replaced it is now re-issuing them....I don't know where the story about new extra tracks come from....I thought that was suggested here but not in the Uncut piece.

3. True enough. The Uncut sidebar about the plans for the 50th simply says "expanded versions of the first five" (not "even-more-expanded versions"), so they may simply be what's on offer now. I'd be more than happy to be proven wrong about my earlier supposition.

But if anyone's got a lead on a reasonably priced 2011 "Arthur", I'd be very grateful.

4. LX200GPS

LX200GPS Forum Resident

Amazon.uk has it for £8.33. What are you waitng for? To my ears Arthur was the biggest upgrade in terms of sound quality of all the Deluxes.

5. swedgin

swedgin Forum Resident

No Arthur but F2F is available at http://www.play.com/Music/CD/4-/197...urce=0&searchtype=allproducts&urlrefer=search
    The remixes are a revelation on F2F.

6. swedgin

swedgin Forum Resident

That's not the deluxe edition. It's the 98 remaster with bonus tracks.

7. LX200GPS

LX200GPS Forum Resident

Yes, it is. Bit confusing though because it does say "Deluxe Edition" on the headline banner.

8. As I said upstream (pg. 29), I just found Face To Face new/still sealed from an Amazon US Marketplace seller for $24.10 + shipping...so (knocking wood furiously) that'll be coming shortly. And since that's one of my favorite Kinks albums/periods, I'm gagging to hear it. Thanks for the Play.com recommendation, though...I'd already had it bookmarked as a possibility in case I couldn't get it cheaper, which (still knocking wood) it looks like I have. I'm just hoping that it's as advertised, the 2011 version, and not the '98 remaster–as the exchange between you and LX200GPS illustrates, sometimes these things get confusing.

9. swedgin

swedgin Forum Resident

Apologies, missed your follow up email. Enjoy Face To Face, I especially loved Andrew Sandoval's remixes.

10. AdrianSoundchaser

AdrianSoundchaser Forum Resident

That is so annoying! I'm trying to track down the Deluxe versions myself. They seemed to just disappear overnight! VGPS is still kicking around and some of the earlier ones but Something Else and Arthur seem to have fallen off the world.
    If anyone finds either (and doesn't buy them!) could they post here so we can snap them up?

p.s. Yeah, yeah, I know. Should have bought them straight away. I'll know better next time!

11. AdrianSoundchaser

So, just to clarify? Are the Deluxe editions being reissued this year? If they are I won't spend a fortune tracking down those 'rare' copies.

12. AdrianSoundchaser

Me again. Looking back over this thread (and post 623 in particular), if they are going to re-release all the Deluxes except VGPS then that would explain why that title seems to be the only one still available. Phew! It may be okay...

13. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Ah, I get your point now. Thanks

14. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

Bah, the plan is to just tack on Percy. Doubt there will be much on this deluxe. I can hope though. I'd love to hear some outtakes.

GregL likes this.
  15. LarryT

LarryT Forum Resident

16. malco49

malco49 Forum Resident

sound is bad it sounds like the rolling stones live LOL!!!!!

17. smiley69

smiley69 Forum Resident

18. smiley69

smiley69 Forum Resident

19. ...and thanks to you as well, smiley69! They're a bit on the pricy side (especially w/postage and handling) but if none of the other options come through, I'll certainly consider them! :)

20. DayRavies

DayRavies Forum Resident

In addition to Percy, we've got confirmation that the Lola Deluxe will include two unreleased tracks "The Good Life" and "Anyway" as well as an unissued early take of "Lola" with different lyrics. I would assume that previously issued mono single mixes of "Lola," "Rats," and "Apeman" along with the "Apeman" and "Powerman" demoes will probably be thrown in for good measure too. There will probably also be BBC tracks (despite their redundancy) if Muswell Hillbillies is any indicator.

I'd like to think we'll get the 5 previously issued bonus tracks from Percy as well, but something tells me those will be overlooked. Call it a gut-feeling (the same gut-feeling I had that the BBC box set would forego the "Did You See His Name?" version from the 2CD BBC... and that gut feeling was unfortunately correct).

Hep Alien and Chris Haley like this.
  21. crimpies

crimpies Forum Resident

Why did they do this?

22. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

From what was written in the Uncut article, I suspect they are being reissued under the new label. It also sounds like the 'Picture Book' box set will be reissued in September.

23. beatlebum

beatlebum Forum Resident

fra_pe likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.