Kinks Deluxe editions 2011 (part 4)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Jan 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Linto

Linto Mayor of Simpleton

Surely they were compressed a lot during the recording and initial mastering.?

The 60s Kinks will never sound great, even original UK vinyl sounds crappy compared to other bands at the same time.
    Pye just did a poor job.

I think the first LP easily sounds the best, in the terms of detail and separation, then I think they went a bit OTT with
    bouncing down and overdubbing in the subsequent albums

EasterEverywhere likes this.
  2. DayRavies

DayRavies Forum Resident

This is my dream! Showbiz is my favorite of the RCA albums (IMHO, it trumps Muswell Hillbillies), and there is theoretically SO much to mine for a deluxe edition that a "super deluxe" very nearly makes me salivate!

There were two shows recorded at Carnegie Hall recorded for the album. We could theoretically get both concerts in their entireties or at least highlights from both, including otherwise unreleased songs like "You Are My Sunshine," and curiosities like the complete unedited performance of "Lola" that was included as a fragment on the album. Of course, "Till the End of the Day" and "She's Bought a Hat Like Princess Marina" have already been issued as bonus tracks, and a live version from the same shows of "You're Looking Fine" has cropped up on a few different rare CDs -- I would expect all of these to be included.

Besides the live stuff, there is the mono mix of "Celluloid Heroes" and the alternate earlier take of "Supersonic Rocketship" with the first few seconds erased which were both released on Backtrackin'. There's a slightly longer edit of "Here Comes Yet Another Day" released on the Rhino CD as well as the SACD layer of the most recent Velvel reissue (but not on the redbook layer), and there's the faster live version of the song only released on the vinyl version of Kinks' Greatest - Celluloid Heroes, which also has some remixes such as "Sitting in my Hotel" with more organ.

I think they filmed some of their time on the road as well as this concept album (half songs about the road and half songs recorded live) was originally meant to accompany a documentary. I don't know if any of that material survives but that would be cool for a DVD to be included with the "super deluxe."

If this turned out to be like a 3CD/1DVD mega boxset with a book and collectibles and stuff (the kind that are so popular right now), I would buy it no questions asked.

But then again, I'm such a Kinks fan, I would probably buy a giant boxset devoted to Soap Opera too...

3. nottenst

nottenst Forum Resident

The one with the Kinks postings :)
    He is the Russell Smith with Huddersfield listed when you do a search.

I don't know if anyone has done a comprehensive comparison, but the starting point is
    http://www.kindakinks.net/discography/showrelease.php?release=729
    which lists which version all the tracks are. Keep that page open and then go through track by track to see if those specific versions are on the deluxe releases and you can figure it all out.

4. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

While I'd also love to see something like this, I have to say that the Carnegie show I attended was something of a shambles. Ray and Dave were stoned/drunk, Ray started "Lola" many times and never took it past 1 verse. Same thing with the freakin' "Banana Boat Song". At one point he was singing "Lola" then toppled into an amp, down went amp, down went Ray with his guitar and the mike stand. From the prone position he continued on with "Lola", which of course brought the house down. Not the most note perfect concert as I recall, and some of it is a bit hazy due to stimulants, but a lot of fun. Don't know how that would translate as a live recording.

5. DayRavies

DayRavies Forum Resident

Great insight!

I still feel like it would great to have as an artifact even if it's not great listening. This was a specific and volatile period in the Kinks' career when they were truly punks and could afford to be. The Brothers Davies' inebriation is part of what makes the live tracks selected for the album so wonderful. It's nice to hear a raucous and heavily flawed performance as opposed to these auto-tune polished live albums artists put out today. I still think the live and drunken version of "Alcohol" on Showbiz far surpasses the comparatively lackluster studio version from Muswell Hillbillies.

George Blair likes this.
  6. tages

tages Senior Member

I want that 1972 footage they filmed for a tour documentary!

7. russell_smith

russell_smith Forum Resident

I sourced the complete show from Buffalo show the first one with the with horn section, the night before the the two Carnegie Hall gigs - some gems performed. Percy will be included as part of the 'Part One' Deluxe, not my idea Guv.

dajokr, LarryT and Mr. H like this.
  8. smiley69

smiley69 Forum Resident

Nice to have the Percy tracks, even though if it is as a Lola bonus, I'm happy with that ! Great news. Hope to read more about the tracklists of Lola and Muswell soon.

9. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

Great news!! More people will hear it this way, than if it *did* get it's own separate release. Helga & the Whip Lady must be appreciated!!! Plus, I love the many variations on The Way Love Used To Be -- one of Ray's most beautiful songs!

Since we're talking rarities from this period -- I wonder if the theme to The Virgin Soldiers is a possibility? I actually am a constant listener to a version I found on the interwebs years and years ago in horrid 96k resolution.

10. mw1917

mw1917 Forum Resident

There were some brief (silent) snippets of this in the 1989 VH1 UK Jive special.

11. Denti

Denti Forum Resident

Which of these has appeared on vinyl? Do the vinyl versions include the bonus tracks?

12. russell_smith

The brief footage of the gigs filmed in Feb/Mar '72 was included on the Road video. To clarify sourced and released are entirely different words.

Brgds.

Russell

13. russell_smith

That I believe was the Philharmonic show, which was later in the year.

Brgds.

Russell

14. russell_smith

'The Virgin Soldier March' did a get a full resolution remaster CD release on a Japanese covers compilation called surprsingly 'Kinky Covers'. A variation of this CD was slated for European released but got kyboshed, if memory serves due to lack of perceived interest and issues with the additional material.

Brgds.

Russell

15. mjlynott

mjlynott Forum Resident

I recall the showbiz footage in a very grainy form featuring on the BBC ray davies documentary (I'm not like everybody else?) in 93 or 94 . The footage was used to substantiate ray's claims that he has a great backside.

16. michael landes

michael landes Forum Resident

Since the '98 versions are unlistenable abominations, the question is going to be much use to you. Something could be much better than those and still be awful. and yes, I owned all of
    those things and i tossed them in the trash, literally!

17. michael landes

michael landes Forum Resident

I really don't thinks that's it. If all you've ever heard is versions from '98 and later, then you will doubtless be pleased, because they are better.
    but if you've heard the original Pye's or the PRT reissues from the 80's then you may not. I think its necessary, in the conversation that
    the first thing a poster does is say what he's heard. Just saying, "I like it" or "It's good IMHO" doesn't tell the rest of us anything.
    However if you say, "I like them much better than my '98 versions, that gives the rest of us some information. It's still just subjective
    opinion of course, but at least it means something.

omranger likes this.
  18. bradman

bradman Forum Resident

C'mon, really? I have both sets and the Deluxes are better, but worse than awful on the 98s?:sigh:

19. In California we recycle. Actually I had them two and they sounded good for the years until they got my money again

20. maclean

maclean Forum Resident

I concur. Now, please, somebody ensures that there are not digital clicks in the music, not "Pete" Daltons in the booklets, etc, and I'll be happy.

21. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

The 1998s were cool and all for the bonus tracks and all, but the Deluxe editions have bonus tracks, and they don't make your ears feel like they have been stabbed repeatedly with a dull pencil after 5 minutes of listening.

22. russell_smith

Two weeks worth of gigs were filmed in late Feb and Early March '72, in 16mm. Any effects have been introduced subsequently.

Brgds.

Russell

23. dolstein

dolstein Senior Member

In terms of bonus content, on the Lola DE, I'd like to have all of the mono single mixes included (including Apeman, even if it has to be a needle drop). I'd love to hear any outtakes, if there are any, and possibly more of Ray's demos (a few of which were included on the last remaster). A live concert from the 1969-1970 era would be nice, but unlikely given the inclusion of the Percy soundtrack. Perhaps they could include additional live material on the bonus disc for the Show-Biz DE.

24. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

I hope Percy isn't taking up a lot of room that could be dedicated to outtakes, mixes, etc from the Lola sessions. But with Percy, it might seem more fitting to include songs that never were finished and are only backing tracks that were supposed to be for Part 2, then Ray decided to do the Muswell Hillbillies album.

25. DayRavies

DayRavies Forum Resident

I have mixed feelings about the inclusion of Percy with the Lola DE. On the one hand, it will be nice to have a newly remastered Percy, and I can sorta see enough of a relationship between the two albums to justify compiling them together (they both include a version of the song "Lola" after all), and if Percy were not released with Lola, it's possible the whole album would've gotten overlooked entirely and I think it would be nice to have the entire Pye period represented by the Deluxes.

However, I feel that relegating Percy to "bonus content" commits further disservice to an album that is already underappreciated and practically unknown to any but the most dire Kinks fans. The album is great listening, though certainly not a masterpiece, and has a groovy vibe to it and some immaculate songs (here's looking at you "The Way Love Used to Be"). Clearly it has a number of soundtrack sourced bits that would serve for exhaustive bonus material and the whole thing should really be released with its own cover art (as horrendous as it may be!) and possibly even a licensed region free DVD of the film. I feel that Percy is getting the dirt swept under the rug treatment to take a whole album released on its own and with its own stories and history and simply call it "bonus tracks" on a mostly unrelated album just because it is certain to sell better.

Then again, Lola does seem limited in the amount of bonus material that could be mined for it. We already know we're getting a couple of unheard gems on there so it doesn't seem they're throwing out Lola content in favor of Percy. I imagine Percy is there for a release and to fill up more space because of the lack of Lola-centric bonus material.

I will be very sad however, if the new Deluxe does not include ALL of the bonus tracks from the previous 98/04 Percy along with the album proper (I want to be able to get rid of that old thing -- I've already had to hold onto my 98/04s of Face to Face, Something Else, and Arthur as well as the old 2CD BBC for one a measly one forgotten track each!), and I will also be a tad disappointed if we do not get all of the 98/04 Lola bonuses as well as all the Lola related tracks on the Mono Box, and hopefully a few other single mixes (here's looking at you "Apeman" - how many versions are there, like 9?), and for some reason, I feel like "Climb Your Wall" belongs on the Lola DE as well. Confirmation, Russell?

PhantomStranger likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.