Kinks Deluxe editions 2011 (part 4)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Jan 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

I dont really *know* any of the other guys that were stating how good the deluxe editions are. Meaning Ive read more from Laservampire and then found my findings to agree. So its not exactly baseless. Also one of the fellas who agreed with him I also trust.

Having stated that, I cant disagree that I need to most likely hear some examples for myself to compare. When these come out (if they do reissue them) Ill take a chance and buy one then compare it to other lps and cds I have of the same material.

2. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

Disclaimer: I have never owned any Kinks on vinyl or any of the PRTs so my opinion isn't worth much, but...

Without wishing to sound dismissive either of others' opinions or of the Kinks' music, I think it's fair to suggest that much of the early catalogue wouldn't have benefitted that much from more gentle mastering. A lot of the mixes aren't too subtle themselves.

Both of Ray's solo records are quite loud. I guess it's his preference, be it an educated one or because he's deaf. Either way, the deluxes aren't quiet but I think it's unreasonable for anyone to state or imply that they're sonic travesties. They're not. They're not audiophile remasters but they don't claim to be. I think the deluxes beat the pants off the 98/04 remasters and I would recommend them without hesitation. At worst they are a trade off of audiophile mastering for very serviceable mastering, good packaging and heaps of bonus tracks, including some superb remixes.

Revolver, Jim B., ShawnX and 4 others like this.
  3. They sound just fine. Actually quite good.

4. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Wonder why the so called "ugly pink" ( silly name but I cant recall its real name right off hand) sounds like it was mastered in a more listenable fashion then?

While I wont completely recant whether these are too bright or not Im curious now to at least do a comparative listen when and if they are re reissued. The UK deluxes are getting a little too pricey for me to take that risk at this point. Thanks for your input though, I took note :)

5. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

I bet the "new" versions of the recently done two-disc sets covering '64 to '69 will be virtually identical to the first editions, although hopefully with the typos and one or two mastering blips fixed. I think you'd be better off waiting for them rather than chasing the first editions, particularly if it's with the knowledge that some people don't like the sound of them.

6. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

Oh yes the Kinks Deluxes are nowhere near the worst of the worst, especially compared to some of the horrible smashed remasters that Aussie bands receive!

They're just a bit fatiguing to listen to due to the compression, and a bit too crispy in the treble region. The EQ isn't nearly as bad as some of the '98 Castle CDs though (Kontroversy is particularly bad in that series)

No way I'd get rid of the Deluxe editions because they have so many good bonus tracks (apart from the BBC stuff, which sounds much better on the big BBC set)

I'm just saying that they aren't the best they could be, especially compared to the PRTs, which much easier on the ears, and from the same tapes for the most part.

7. Paul Saldana

Paul Saldana jazz vinyl addict

Comparing 70s Kinks SQ to eighties INXS or Midnight Oil SQ sounds like a fool's errand. If each band's material were mastered properly, they should sound so different as to not be comparable.

8. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

recent remasters of those material is so dam loud it blows the speakers out ! the kinks remasters do not do that !

9. Paul Saldana

Paul Saldana jazz vinyl addict

It's a relief to hear that about the Kinks' deluxe discs. Still, if the tapes sound slightly dark I feel the CDs should as well. If some fool wants to play them in his car with the treble turned all the way up, let him. Don't force me to listen to them that way.

10. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

You most certainly did miss out.

fitzysbuna likes this.
  11. pobbard

pobbard Still buying CDs

I think the recent deluxe reissues sound fine, and better than the prior 98/04 remasters. Important to remember that many of the Kinks 60s Pye records never sounded very good (sonically) to begin with, BTW -- no match for work getting done at EMI during the same period, for example.

And if "Anytime" or "The Good Life" are half as good as "Lavender Lane" I am going to be very happy with the upcoming Lola deluxe!

tkl7 likes this.
  12. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

You've used the word 'fool' in two consecutive posts.

I like these editions, and I don't feel a bit foolish.

Brudy, tkl7 and Mazzy like this.
  13. Turn your treble down then if thTs what you prefer. They do sound great

Brudy likes this.
  14. peachyg72

peachyg72 Forum Resident

Yes, I too would love to see a Preservation Boxed Set, with the original scrapped sessions on it, my personal holy grail!

NOS300B likes this.
  15. Matt Ellers

Matt Ellers Senior Member

I love the deluxe editions. They are a joy to me. Had 'em for years now and the novelty hasn't worn off.

GetHappy!! and Larry Geller like this.
  16. Count me in as another who has all the Deluxe editions and enjoys them. I will be buying the Lola Deluxe without hesitation.

Revolver, NOS300B and Mr. H like this.
  17. davenav

The Percy material is going to be a revelation to folks who haven't heard it. The Way Love Used To Be, Moments, God's Children, and Dreams are all great songs.

stevemoss and NOS300B like this.
  18. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

Percy is a fun album indeed.

Love the Kinks, love the deluxe editions, looking forward to anything else they'll give us!

NOS300B likes this.
  19. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

Very murky, low volume, Ray's most languid track ever, taking the crown from Lazy Old Sun. Still kills the LP version.

cwitt1980 likes this.
  20. dead of night

dead of night Senior Member

It sounds like the companion disc will be like getting a second album!

21. davenav

Sorta. Many songs are instrumental soundtrack bits. But, I love'em!

It kinda makes wish there was a way to get other Kink-related soundtrack material released - like Virgin Soldiers.

cwitt1980 likes this.
  22. DayRavies

DayRavies Forum Resident

Not sure if that was intended as sarcasm or not and if it was, I apologize, but assuming that was not sarcasm:

You ARE getting a second album with the companion disc. Percy IS another Kinks album that was released separately on vinyl and even on the 98/04 Sanctuary single disc reissues. It's not their best album (mostly due to being diluted by a number of instrumentals, some more inspired than others), but it's a whole heck of a lot better than many critics let on. Based on the amount of neglected Percy material that remains unreleased and the (at least) handful of Lola vs. Powerman tracks withheld here, it's a shame they decided to lump these two texturally and conceptually different albums together into one package (the only connective tissue between the two is that they both contain the song "Lola"--in radically different versions).

Even Russell Smith said that he fought against the decision to include Percy as bonus material on a Lola vs Powerman package, but the powers that be, I assume, decided that Percy would not sell by itself. Optimists may see this as an opportunity to sell Percy to the masses and to introduce it to people who have never heard it (or even heard OF it). Personally, I see it as a bit of disrespect and slighting of a competent album that should be celebrated in its own context.

Again, if your post was sarcasm, I apologize.

cwitt1980, Shawn and Mr. H like this.
  23. T
    "Opportunity to sell it to the masses". Hahahahahahaha :tiphat:

24. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

Just a couple of Deluxe vs PRT waveforms:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm not trying to say that the Deluxes are absolutely terrible (they're not), just that they aren't the be all and end all of Kinks on CD.

25. dead of night

dead of night Senior Member

No, not sarcasm. A lot of times the companion disc is mainly rough, alternate takes, demos, out takes and B sides. What I meant was for once, on this Kinks release, there is some very strong, primary material on the second disc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.