Kinks Deluxe editions 2011 (part 4)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Jan 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Graham

Graham Senior Member

Price is down to £12.57 at Amazon UK. Ordered.

2. KinksFan1992

KinksFan1992 Forum Resident

I for one quite like having Lola and Percy together. We've waited such a long time, we may have waited even longer for Percy - if it ever got reissued at all. I've got the bootleg with the very short instrumental soundtrack snippets and I don't think they would have much commercial mileage. But by having Lola and Percy together, we combine some real classic tracks in one set.

3. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

I am very honoured that you should followed my posts with such close attention.

But isn't this whole forum about people expressing their opinions and having a debate about them?

But maybe that's not your thing...in which case that is your problem and not mine

Play the ball, not the man

james last and omranger like this.
  4. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Nice! Down from £16.23 yesterday!

5. Hey I'm with you here. For whatever reason there are a hand full of folks who get more riled up when someone repeats their thoughts even when the replies are somewhat different and reacting to specific posts. They waste much more space calling one out.

But I think the deluxe sets sound fantastic

omranger likes this.
  6. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Thanks for some visuals. Not terrible as you say but pretty stark contrast to the PRTs dynamically it appears.

james last likes this.
  7. Now go listen with your own ears and gear.

8. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Oh, I will. Im just one of those who likes to take all reasonable evidence into account. Wave forms dont skeer me like they do some ;). Just another helpful measurement if used with balance. :)

9. Good. I'm proud of you my son.

10. DayRavies

DayRavies Forum Resident

Excellent. What does this translate to without VAT? Anyone know? My pre-order price guarantee hasn't updated yet.

EDIT: I just answered my own question. 10.48 GBP with VAT deducted. +3.08 GBP shipping to the US. Translates currently to 23.26 USD shipped.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2014
    Mr. H likes this.
  11. cc--

cc-- Forum Resident

fwiw, I'm glad to get Percy as a second disc ... I've listened to it, but aside from the great "God's Children," I find it somewhat slight. (I realize that many on this thread would buy a 2-disc Kinks set for one new track--or even mix!) Would be interested to hear, though, what you see as the primary differences between the albums.

Mr. H likes this.
  12. cc--

cc-- Forum Resident

fwiw, I'm glad to be getting Percy as a throw-in. I've listened to it but find it aside from the great "God's Children" to be a slight album, naturally, as it's music for a film. (I realize many on this thread would happily buy a 2-disc Kinks set for just one new track!) Would be interested to hear, though, what you see as the main differences between the albums.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2014
  13. Matt Ellers

Matt Ellers Senior Member

Harry; "I'm looking for the deluxe edition of Percy."
    Garry; "Sorry what or who is Percy."
    Harry; "A movie soundtrack by the Kinks."
    Garry; "Kool, I didn't know they did soundtracks. Ray Davies, great songwriter, must be a good film, what's it all about?"
    Harry; "A guy who has a ...member transplant I guess you could call it"
    Garry; "Well see of course that was my very next guess. What is on the album cover?"
    Harry; "A naked dude with a fig leaf covering.. well, you know."
    Garry; "Must be a great flick. Soundtrack must be awesome. Deluxe edition you say? They oughta sell by the truckload. The salesmanship of these guys is second to none"

14. DayRavies

DayRavies Forum Resident

Point well taken. I positively LOATHE the cover of Percy. I don't even like to look at it. Not just because of the suggestiveness but because the art and colors are ugly. Unfortunately, it is a poor advertisement for the music to be found therein.

"God's Children," "Moments," and "The Way Love Used to Be" are all klassic tracks from the Ray Davies songbook. I also like "Animals in the Zoo" quite a lot and the novelty of hearing a John Dalton lead vocal on "Willesden Green" is an interesting and unique chapter in the Kinks' history (the ONLY non-Davies brother lead vocal in the band's entire recorded output). Besides that, the instrumentals are fun and make this a very different exploration for the band as musicians. The instrumental "Lola" in particular, I think, has a very interesting groove and I always enjoy hearing that track when I listen to the album.

Is it a perfect album? No. Is it a great album? No. Is it perhaps the worst studio album The Kinks released during their legendary Pye tenure? Yes. But it's still a very enjoyable experience that sounds like a Kinks album and gets a really bad rep (I think Allmusic gave it something like one star which is ridiculously underrated). While it is doubtfully anyone's secret favorite album, there is something here for any real Kinks fan to enjoy.

15. GetHappy!!

GetHappy!! Forum Resident

16. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

Only that it was briefly mentioned earlier. I don't believe any information about this release has come out other than it's existence. Strange, though, since "Waterloo Sunset: The Very Best Of The Kinks and Ray Davies" came out not two years ago.

17. While I agree with everything you say, The Kinks have some of the worst album covers of any major band, and I find the Percy cover no worse than, say, Face to Face, Everybody's In Showbiz, Word of Mouth, Think Visual, Low Budget, Schoolboys, Soap Opera, Arthur or Lola. Probably a discussion for another thread though.

18. TeddyB

TeddyB Senior Member

Essential is a Legacy line. Now the Sanctuary material is controlled by Somy/BMG, it makes sense for them to put out a new best of.

GetHappy!! likes this.
  19. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music

Just ordered for $23.26 delivered. That's a sweet deal!

stereoptic likes this.
  20. malco49

malco49 Forum Resident

almost pulled the trigger today.this will get a US release as well no?

21. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

None of them have ever gotten a US release.

22. malco49

malco49 Forum Resident

b
    but will they be available from amazon usa? i got my muswell hillbillies expanded two disc there

23. Probably eventually but will most likely cost more than getting from amazon uk. I've gotten all of mine there

24. malco49

malco49 Forum Resident

actually just pre-ordered....who am i kidding have LOVED the kinks since 1972 or so!!! have vinyl lola and percy and the remastered lola cd already........looking forward to hearing this !

25. jerrygene

jerrygene Forum Resident

Ordered it last week, glad it dropped since all future ones will be on my shelf as well ...as are ALL of the Deluxes and earlier remasters, including the nice BBC box......bring em on, but they better release Pictures In The Sand and Till Death somewhere......Kinks fans are a bunch of completists.....

John Fell likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.