Kinks Deluxe editions available for pre-order

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bubba-ho-tep, Jan 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

It's 100% confirmed they will.

Deluxe editions of Face To Face, Something Else, Arthur & Muswell Hillbillies released in the UK June 6. No tracklisting confirmed yet, though

Check out The Kinks official site: www.thekinks.info

Attached Files:

2. Mono and stereo mixes of the main albums on those three would be so very welcome.

3. pronghorn

pronghorn Forum Resident

4. I'd be surprised if those tracklistingss are complete as, for example, the SOMETHING ELSE link states "This 2-CD deluxe set has a vast array of bonus material and an upgraded booklet" yet only lists 20 songs:

1. David Watts
    2. Death of a clown
    3. Two sisters
    4. No return
    5. Harry rag
    6. Tin soldier man
    7. Situation vacant
    8. Love me till the sun shines
    9. Lazy old sun
    10. Afternoon tea
    11. Funny face
    12. End of the season
    13. Waterloo sunset
    14. Suzannah's still alive
    15. Autumn almanac
    16. Act nice and gentle
    17. Wonderboy
    18. Pretty Polly
    19. Lincoln county
    20. There's no life without love

If CD 1 were the original album (tracks 1 - 13), CD 2 would be incredibly short!

5. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

The track listings currently listed on the site are not those for the deluxe editions. They are for the currently avaliable 1 CD versions, with bonus tracks, which unfortunately causes confusion.

When the deluxe edition track lists are announced, it will state 'disc 1', 'disc 2'. All the deluxe editions are two discs.

6. pronghorn

pronghorn Forum Resident

Ahh that makes sense

7. Thomas Pugwash

Thomas Pugwash Forum Resident

Us 'Kinks' fanatics have waited a long time for our dear band to get this kind of treatment!! The packaging and sleeve-notes are wonderful and the discs.....well, the music is what it's all about 'innit? :agree:

More please.....

T.

8. Quick question - Are the newly released deluxes (kinks, kinda, kontroversy) missing any bonus tracks and/or b-sides from past reissues? Wanna make sure before I do away with them! Thanks.

9. Matthew B.

Matthew B. Scream Quietly

The BBC Sessions version of "See My Friends" isn't included.

10. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Will the deluxe editions FINALLY cover all the tracks that were on The Great Lost Kinks Album?

11. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

We'll have to see if Ray lets us have "Til Death Do Us Part" and "Pictures in the Sand." I think those are the only two not available on the VG deluxe or any other initial album/single release. I'd imagine if he does they would be included with either Arthur or Something Else.

12. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

All the bonus tracks included on the '98 reissues are included on the new reissues, though some tracks have 'switched' albums.

13. fiscus1

fiscus1 Senior Member

I much prefer the wide stereo mix of "This Man He Weeps Tonight" that was on TGKA to the narrow one that was offered as a bonus track to the old Arthur reissue. And, both of those to the mono.

14. swedgin

swedgin Forum Resident

Never a big of the Kinks debut and until this release unfamiliar with the stereo mix. Finding it strangely hifi for want of a better term, really enjoying it.

15. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

The 1998 Castle Arthur reissue only has one channel of the "This Man He Weeps Tonight" stereo mix. Get the 2004 Sanctuary version which has the real stereo mix :righton:

16. Laservampire

Some info on the Deluxe Kinda Kinks:

- Album itself sounds great
    - Singles/EP tracks sound great

- "I Go To Sleep" is the same source as the 1998, better mastering
    - "When I See That Girl of Mine (Demo Version)" - better source
    - "Tell Me Now So I'll Know", " A Little Bit of Sunlight", "There's A New World Just Opening For Me" - much better source than anything before
    - "This I Know" - I believe it's the same acetate source as the Picture Book boxset, but I prefer the NR'd version to the "warts & all" version on the Deluxe
    - "See My Friend (Alt Version)" Acetate sourced, cool version though
    - "Come On Now (Alternate Vocal)" Full Take 1, false starts 2 & 3 are on the box
    - BBC tracks are a big improvement over the old BBC Sessions set, much cleaner sounding with better EQ.

17. Laservampire

Deluxe Kontroversy (just listening to the Amazon samples):

Mr. Reporter - this is the 1966 Ray version

Dedicated Follower Of Fashion (Alt. Take) - mono version from the "Great lost" bootleg, not the stereo alternate from the 1998 castle

And I Will Love You - proper tape source! great sound :righton:

All Night Stand - still acetate sourced but better sound than "Picture Book"

BBC tracks all sound great

18. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Shouldnt Mr. Reporter be on the FACE TO FACE deluxe?

19. Laservampire

It should, but I think they were a bit short on stuff for the Kontroversy deluxe.

20. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

So they must be overflowing with bonus tracks for Face to Face?

Strange...

21. Laservampire

That can only be a good thing!! :righton:

22. Laservampire

These are the only missing tracks that could have been included on the Deluxe Editions:

Dedicated Follower Of Fashion (Alternate Stereo Take) (from 1998 Kontroversy)
    Come On Now (takes 2 & 3) (from Picture Book Boxset)
    See My Friends (BBC) (from "BBC Sessions" CD)
    Revenge (Demo) (from "Great Lost" bootleg)

Not sure if some of the BBC tracks on the deluxes are different versions to the old BBC Sessions disc yet, I'll check when I have mine in hand :righton:

23. swedgin

swedgin Forum Resident

No, I think they had to move some bonus tracks because there is no stereo mix for Kontroversy. They also moved the bside of Sunny Afternoon.

24. Laservampire

I really hope they include a stereo mix of Sunny Afternoon on the Face to Face deluxe, it exists in poor quality on boots so I'm guessing that they still have the 3-track for that one.

25. Jack

Jack Senior Member

Enjoying it also; sleeve notes contain some opposite info(such as which tracks Clem Cattini and Mick Avory drum on, and which tracks Nicky Hopkins plays piano.) I think someone named Bob Stanley wrote them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.