Kinks Vinyl Reissues Discussion

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by marigoldilemma, Dec 3, 2014.

1. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

In this thread? You should check out the twice as long "FINALLY! Iron Maiden remasters coming to black vinyl" (I hope I got that prosaic title correctly;)):

Every couple of month somebody asks something like "Which is better, UK or US editions?" and the whole shebang starts all over again. At the moment for something like the fifth time:agree:

To quote Ray: "Now we have to do it all over again!!!" (that's at the end of.....uuuh.. "Back To Front", right???)

2. landerstnkb

landerstnkb Forum Resident

I ordered with Amazon US and the box was packaged perfectly with plenty of bubble wrap.

3. googlymoogly

googlymoogly Forum Resident

Flipje and A well respected man like this.
  4. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

The problem with Amazon is that the packaging you get is entirely random. The next time you order may not be as good.

5. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

Well, we could move on to wondering when (if ever) Lola is going to be reissued, and Andrew Sandoval did mention of stereo versions of the Pye albums coming out after the monos, right?

FJFP and Neonbeam like this.
  6. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

And after playing Low Budget on the car ride home today, I have to say, an Arista-era hits compilation wouldn't be the worst thing in the world...

bigal00769 likes this.
  7. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

Misfits is one of my favorite Kinks albums, and between Low Budget and Give the People What They Want there's one really good album.

I just listened to VGPS from the new box, and it sounds great. I didn't compare it to my 80s German mono pressing though.

I'm now spinning my dad's old copy of The Great Lost Kinks Album. It looks pretty beat up but it plays as a solid VG+. Not a bad sounding album either for a US-compilation and makes a great companion piece to VGPS.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2017
    KinkySmallFace1991 and Rekkerds like this.
  8. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

That's a fantastic album, on par with Village Green and Something Else in my opinion. It was one of my holy grails for a while, then I found a copy and started seeing it everywhere.

Revolver likes this.
  9. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Really? I remember being so excited when it came out to hear all these outakes but was disappointed at the time because they generally sounded indeed like outakes. Not close to VG or SE. Probably the best is Living Room Light. Love that. Which I first heard on Warners Big Ball sampler. I should listen to the Great Lost album again. Have a WLP of it.

10. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Amazon box sets generally get packed in an increasingly oversized box with twisted paper for padding. Occasionally someone thinks of using air pillows. OK if the box set comes in it's own box with foam protection but otherwise the unprotected box will move around. Within the UK I have only had one box set that arrived damaged (lid) but that was The Kinks. The replacement also had some minor damage but swapped the lids. The factory packaging was poor on this one and second copy did not even have the factory outer box. It's certainly a take your chances one.

11. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

I think it has some interesting cuts, but yes, one has to take into account it's an outtakes album, it's light years from masterpieces like VG or SE.

chacha likes this.
  12. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

I even told Amazon UK that I would not accept a replacement for my damaged box unless they packed it properly in its original carton and they stilled shipped the replacement the same exact way and it arrived damaged in the same GD PLACE!

It took me over an hour and two trips to various shippers to ship the second damaged one back. UPS and the first USPS people I talked to were clueless. Amazon sends you a customs form and then USPS made me fill out the same information again TWICE. $101 shipping charge, a 20% discount, and a collectible set with a jacked up top later and I'm out of the Amazon UK box set business. I should have listened to people in this thread. What a PITA.

13. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

I love Lavender Hill, Misty Water, Til Death Do Us Part, and the Way Love Used to Be.

14. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

Rekkerds and Mazzy like this.
  15. googlymoogly

googlymoogly Forum Resident

Agreed. Would have been strong additions to the "canon" albums.

goodiesguy and Revolver like this.
  16. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

"The Way Love Used To be" is on a canon album already.

17. WhoDaresWins

WhoDaresWins Forum Resident

Is the version of 'The Way Love Used To Be", on The Great Lost Kinks Album the same as the version on Percy?

BTW, I recently picked up the 1980 German Percy reissue and the album sounds really nice.

18. Adam9

Yes. It is on The Great Lost Kinks Album because Percy was not released in the U.S.

WhoDaresWins likes this.
  19. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

That's a good track, but "I'm Not Like Everyone Else." "Lavender Hill," "Rosemary Rose," "Plastic Man", "Pictures in the Sand," "This Man He Weeps Tomight," and "Misty Water" are all pretty great, too.

goodiesguy and googlymoogly like this.
  20. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

21. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Isn't "Percy" rather a "cannon album"??? :whistle::whistle::whistle:

Adam9 likes this.
  22. Adam9

I think the original vinyl had more songs than the original CD.

23. I have it on vinyl. Nice collection.

24. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

Thanks, I just ordered a copy off Discogs.

Looking at the track listing, it's a shame it doesn't include "Good Day" from Word of Mouth.

25. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]