Kinks Vinyl Reissues Discussion

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by marigoldilemma, Dec 3, 2014.

1. fricadelle

fricadelle Well-Known Member

hello, so what's the consensus about this mono boxset? Is it on par with the beatles mono boxset quality wise?

Vinyl Dude likes this.
  2. Newscot

Newscot Forum Resident

In terms of vinyl pressing and sound quality yes but the quality of the cover reproductions is no where near as good as the Mono Beatles ... a good deal cheaper though!

andybeau, aoxomoxoa and e.s. like this.
  3. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

I can't tell you buy it or don't. All I can say is I did and I'm not sorry. (Yes I have The Beatles in Mono) In fact, I'm hoping for the next set likely stereo. I have about 3,000 records on my shelves. They don't all get played every day, of course. I wouldn't part with any of them though. This set is no different. Damn good. Just like everything else I've kept through the years.

Do you want it? I'm afraid only you can decide that. In my estimation, it's good enough for your consideration to say the least.

e.s. likes this.
  4. Agree it's as good as Kinks records will probably every get. They were never as great sounding as the Beatles records. And yes the covers could have been crisper but still a great set. .

e.s. likes this.
  5. chahooa

chahooa Forum Resident

I think it's really super, if you like the Kinks at all, you'd probably want this set.

FJFP and e.s. like this.
  6. Vinyl Dude

Vinyl Dude Well-Known Member

7. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

What are those ways? I love my Kinks box set, but in my opinion, the Beatles mono box outshines it, both in terms of presentation and sound quality.

googlymoogly likes this.
  8. chahooa

chahooa Forum Resident

I think the Beatles and Kinks monos both sound super. The kinks album covers aren't as nice... I'm not really sure what the originals were like... I only have the 80s UK/German ones and a couple US originals. Some people prefer the 80s ones, but I prefer these new ones just slightly.

e.s. likes this.
  9. googlymoogly

googlymoogly Forum Resident

If you enjoy listening to vinyl and like the '60s-period Kinks material, I don't see how you'll go wrong buying this box set. "The Beatles in Mono" and Dylan's "Original Mono Recordings" have packaging aesthetics advantages over the Kinks set, but I think Kevin Gray did a great job mastering the Kinks here.

FJFP and e.s. like this.
  10. FJFP

FJFP Host for the 'Mixology' Mix Differences Podcast

The included book may also be small, but has some great photos in it.

e.s. likes this.
  11. Rekkerds

Rekkerds Forum Resident

Received an email this morning that Low Budget has been reissued on red vinyl with a gatefold and poster by Friday Music, Joe Reagoso mastering. The Arista years are getting the love but still no Lola reissue...

Looks like One For The Road is coming soon as well.

John Bliss and FJFP like this.
  12. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Too bad Friday Music is doing it.

13. Rekkerds

Rekkerds Forum Resident

Yeah, especially when it's pretty easy to get decent original pressings in the wild for cheaper than these new ones.

John Bliss, e.s. and aoxomoxoa like this.
  14. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

Yeah, I got a fantastic copy of Low Budget still in the original shrink-wrap for under $10 fairly recently.

FJFP and Rekkerds like this.
  15. futurefind

futurefind Active Member

are Friday Music releases usually bad?

16. Turbo2k

Turbo2k Forum Resident

Started to look into buying a couple of Kinks vinyl yesterday, namely Something Else and Village Green but I ended up ordering the Mono box! I haven't really listened to the Kinks in years and this will be a great way to rediscover them.

alan967tiger, FJFP, e.s. and 2 others like this.
  17. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Yes

18. puelche

puelche Forum Resident

I learned that the Yes Album 45 rpm is excellent, but maybe it's an exception.

athensdrums likes this.
  19. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

Some of the releases are good. There are a few that are mastered by Kevin Gray if I'm not mistaken. I have the 2LP Friday Music release of Todd Rundgren's A Wizard, A True Star and while it sounds good and is a slight improvement over the original, it isn't as good as it should be considering they claim it was sourced from the original analog masters.

And the releases are often overpriced, which doesn't help when much of their catalog contains remasters/reissues of common 70s albums which are already pretty common in the used bins.

Rekkerds and e.s. like this.
  20. emjel

emjel Forum Resident

Are the newish deluxe vinyl albums exactly the same as what is in the Mono Box Set. I have the deluxe Kinks album on CD and I am quite impressed with the artwork and the little booklet and was wondering if the artwork for the vinyl albums is the same too. I know they do not have all the extra tracks.

21. schelti

schelti Forum Resident

Which deluxe vinyl albums are you referring too?

22. emjel

emjel Forum Resident

Good question. Amazon have them listed within their CD equivalent which shows as Deluxe, but I suspect looking closer, the vinyl albums are not really deluxe but are reissues of the original albums from the 60s and shown as limited editions issued in 2015. Not sure if they are mono or stereo though. If just mono, are they exactly the same as those in the mono box.

23. KinkySmallFace1991

KinkySmallFace1991 Will you come back to me, Sweet Lady Genevieve?

The Limited Edition 2015s are, I believe, just mono (apart from Arthur) and cut from the digital transfers used on Anthology 1964-1971. The mono box, however, is all-analog, except the "Black" album, which utilizes the digital transfers from 2014.

emjel likes this.
  24. RocketUSA

RocketUSA Forum Resident

25. KinkySmallFace1991

KinkySmallFace1991 Will you come back to me, Sweet Lady Genevieve?

Kinks Pye in hi-res? Sandoval and the rest of the guys in charge of the campaign are killing me. They know my weakness. If the masterings sound great, I'm done for.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2017