Kinks Vinyl Reissues Discussion

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by marigoldilemma, Dec 3, 2014.

1. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Hi res for the Pye albums seems a bit ridiculous to me.

Pretty.Odd. likes this.
  2. FJFP

FJFP Host for the 'Mixology' Mix Differences Podcast

BUT there's at least the possibility of a good, dynamic mastering. If these go up on Qobuz I'd probably spring for a couple in CDquality.

3. 1970

1970 Forum Resident

I'm picking up some of the early '80s German reissues on PRT (green & orange label). A stunning copy of "Something Else" arrived today, from Germany. Sounds really nice. (Discogs says it's a stereo pressing, but it sounds better to me with the mono switch engaged.) Anyway, I think I made the right choice going with these German PRTs, rather than plunk down big bucks for PYE originals. Thanks to those here who recommended this option!

WhoDaresWins, sjaca, e.s. and 2 others like this.
  4. Preston

Preston Forum Resident

To be fair, some of the Friday Music titles I have are stunning.

5. Tom Campbell

Tom Campbell Forum Resident

What are some of the good ones? They've licensed some excellent titles, but I've been wary of buying them given the label's rep for poor mastering.

sonofjim likes this.
  6. JP Christian

JP Christian Forum Resident

I can only assume, the ones where Kevin Gray is involved - I bought the Friday Music release of The Monkees Present, foolishly thinking it would be an upgrade from my 1980's Rhino pressing - boy I was wrong - it was like listening to an old cassette copy with dolby incorrectly switched on - put me off contemplating another Friday Music release ever again...

7. Marc Perman

Marc Perman Forum Resident

This may be the first time Friday Music and "stunning" have been used in the same sentence.

Jack, goodiesguy, jonnyeric and 4 others like this.
  8. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

Vinyl reissues are one of the few times where TGIF just doesn't apply.

Bananas&blow, Preston, e.s. and 2 others like this.
  9. Preston

Preston Forum Resident

Kevin Gray has been involved in the mastering of quite a few titles. The "stunning" ones I have are all of the Kansas albums, the first two Boston albums, The Yes Song 45RPM box set ... I'm forgetting a couple of other ones, but each of these have superior masterings and the pressings I received are flawless (though side B of The Yes Song has a bit of noise towards the end). I've also had some bad titles (I gave up on The Spinners Greatest Hits after four different exchanges, for instance: a terrible pressing), but you can't make a blanket statement about Friday Music. They aren't like FMWB (I don't have an LP by them that I think is as good as an original pressing).

Tom Campbell likes this.
  10. Preston

Preston Forum Resident

Go over to the Friday Music thread and you'll find plenty of good reviews: also, see my response to Tom Campbell above.

11. Marc Perman

I recently saw an '80s Pye reissue of Arthur. I have a US original so didn't need it, and it looked a little lonely in its non-gatefold sleeve. I do have a PRT Something Else and it's very good, but the recent mono box version is more in rotation right now.

12. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

13. Marc Perman

Why not new AAA versions of the stereo LPs? The mono reissues are about the best vinyl reissues of anything I've heard (including the Beatles in mono).

FJFP and e.s. like this.
  14. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

I just said hi-res because the news is that Sandoval is working on that. But of course, if they make AAA vinyl records that would be great too. I would buy S/T, Something Else, VGPS, Arthur and Lola.

15. I remember that interview. I agree it's the artists decision in the end good or bad in terms of the fans.

16. goodiesguy

goodiesguy Confide In Me

Before this thread, I had no idea Dead End Street was remixed into Stereo! Fantastic thread with heaps of information.

17. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

If it's stereo, you should quickly notice that some of the lead vocals are recorded out-of-phase, so that when played back in mono, they disappear.

18. Pretty.Odd.

Pretty.Odd. Guess I'm Dumb

Just picked up the mono box and the best of that came out a couple years ago. The box set is fantastic and sounds excellent. Wish the covers were a bit higher quality. But my best of is extremely warped. I returned to amazon for a replacement and this one is warped too. Its still a great sounding record though. Dead End Street in stereo is awesome.

19. FJFP

FJFP Host for the 'Mixology' Mix Differences Podcast

Which best of LP is this? I wasn't aware the stereo DES had been pressed to vinyl!

20. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

It's this one. I haven't heard it.
    [​IMG]

andybeau and Pretty.Odd. like this.
  21. Tartifless

Tartifless Forum Resident

Any Lola reissue planned ?

22. KinkySmallFace1991

KinkySmallFace1991 Will you come back to me, Sweet Lady Genevieve?

I wasn't aware of a stereo DES at all!

goodiesguy likes this.
  23. goodiesguy

goodiesguy Confide In Me

Neither, until this thread! I knew that other tracks from that era like Mr. Pleasant had finally be mixed to stereo, but not DES.

24. Pretty.Odd.

Pretty.Odd. Guess I'm Dumb

25. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Quick question: Any major differences between US/UK mono LP box?
    Amazon italy got a great deal on it

KinkySmallFace1991 likes this.