Kinks Vinyl Reissues Discussion

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by marigoldilemma, Dec 3, 2014.

1. Parkertown

Parkertown Tawny Port

Your price too high!!!

2. atl1

atl1 Forum Resident

I prefer record shopping. Shopping online is honestly boring and when ppl bid during the last ten seconds on ebay and u lose it's really depressing

fortherecord, davenav and Millington like this.
  3. NOS300B

NOS300B The Moon Queen

e.s. likes this.
  4. riknbkr330

riknbkr330 Senior Member

The UK PYE reissues from the 80s are translucent purple when you hold them up to a light.

Also, VGPS of these reissues had Mono on the cover, but they are actually stereo.

Great sounding vinyl and I wish I didn't sell my "Face to Face" when the PRT CDs came out....d'oh. Sold that one too...double d'oh.

5. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

The German PRT Village Green is true mono. the UK ones were apparently stereo but labelled as mono.

riknbkr330 likes this.
  6. ludovicien

ludovicien Forum Resident

7. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

The Spanish lp is also labelled mono, but plays stereo.

8. atl1

atl1 Forum Resident

out of everyone how come the germans deserve true mono :hide:

9. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Not going there...

10. atl1

atl1 Forum Resident

:shh:

Tommyboy likes this.
  11. marigoldilemma

marigoldilemma Forum Resident Thread Starter

12. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

With VAT subtracted, they're going to be cheaper, more like £17, so around $27 each, not counting shipping.

13. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Well we have always been single minded. And VERY determined:);)

The 80's Kinks reissues are a bit of a mixed bag. They sound wonderful but the presentation is really cheap. Since I AM in Germany where these are neither rare nor expensive I see these all the time and picked up "VGPS" in mono for four Euros a couple of weeks ago. Unfortunately it comes in a single cover so you need it's stereo counterpart to get the full gatefold glory. They DO sound good but I wouldn't pay too much for them.

Still wish someone would give them the same treatment the Beatles just received....even though the RSD releases from a couple of years ago are not bad. Even though I got the German Monos I kept these as well. They certainly look much better...

Last edited: Dec 5, 2014
    Brudy likes this.
  14. Arkoffs

Arkoffs Remote member

Just noticed something sorta odd with the new Muswell double LP: the two discs appear to have had lacquers cut at different places. The bonus disc is signed by Kevin Gray on both sides. The first disc is not signed by KG and has different handwriting in the deadwax.

Both discs pressed at MPO in France.

15. Wade Burrow

Wade Burrow Bound to get lucky

Yeah, I was wondering what the SST scribed on the disc 1 deadwax stands for. The sound on the new Muswell is really good whoever cut it. You can hear the Tape Hiss and the soundstage is a much better than my original US Pressed Muswell. It really is mastered well and if it is digital there is little to no noise reduction. I honestly can't tell if it is digital or analogue. It just sounds great with much better instrument separation and dynamics than I have heard before on the album. The album is not a sonic wonder to start with, kind of always had an old worn out tape recording type of sound to it. Shame since the songs are so awesome.

16. Nightswimmer

Nightswimmer Forum Resident

The presentation of the 80s reissues is indeed cheap, but the sound is great. It is as good as an original, at least for VGPS. And while records like Arthur are indeed very common and can be found for 5 Euros, VGPS is not common. You were lucky to score it for 4 Euros. It does not show up often and when it does it usually more like 15-20 Euros.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2014
  17. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

Can anyone direct me to a website for the record company re-issuing these Lps for info?

The Amazon UK listings post 'Sanctuary' as the record label?

18. dme105

dme105 Forum Resident

19. I'd say every vinyl release these days is limited. But frequently nobody knows the quantity. Very few records remain in print.

20. Mr. Twangy

Mr. Twangy Active Member

I don't know what some of you are talking about. This is what I was talking about: http://www.thekinks.info/latest-news/ It was a pretty effortless google.

Double albums. In the Universal Vinyl Store. Scroll down and you will see Village Green, Something Else, Arthur, Face to Face.

Thank you.

21. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Kevin Gray cut the 45 for the Anthology box

22. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

I believe those Lps were past RSD re-issues. 'Arthur' and 'Something Else' are marked as RES 2012. I'm not certain these are part of the six Lps being re-issued in a few weeks.

23. These are not part of this new series which are single LPs. All Mono only except Arthur which is stereo

24. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

As already stated, these are from a while back, but also worth noting: The link to the Universal Vinyl Store for these titles goes to a dead page:

"The page you’re looking for isn't here, we may have moved it, perhaps it was never there, or maybe its gone for good."

25. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

I agree that there's far better separation and dynamics on the new Muswell compared to a US original. I like the vocal and instrumental tonality of the original better though - sounds more human and lifelike to me although certainly lo- fi. Makes me think the new one is digital. I think most people will prefer the new one - far more detailed.