Kinks Vinyl Reissues Discussion

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by marigoldilemma, Dec 3, 2014.

1. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

Yes, those are counterfeits.

patient_ot likes this.
  2. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

Waterloo has not been shy about stocking bootlegs/counterfeits for in demand artists when legitimate product is not available.

3. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

Many stores in Portland do the same. I get it, but I bothers me nonetheless.

4. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Unfortunately bootleggers are taking this one step further at the moment and are even faking stuff that is in demand but available. That way you can trick people easier.

Can, Neu!, Iron Maiden or Kinks.... recently I've seen counterfeits of all their key albums. Even though they've got proper reissues...there's even been a Led Zeppelin counterfeit "campaign" that came AFTER the new Page remasters. Really annoying...

5. bibijeebies

bibijeebies vinyl hairline spotter

Maybe it is time to get some legitimate releases out there?

6. Wade Burrow

Wade Burrow Bound to get lucky

What sucks about it is it seems they are really pushing these out on shelves during Christmas when you have a lot of people out their that don't know any better. I go to Waterloo regularly and they always have some bootlegs but it is obvious that a lot more are on the shelves during this Holiday Shopping Season. Thanks everyone for the confirmation.

7. mitchcortes

mitchcortes Forum Resident

Anybody heard the Village Green reissue? I have a German PRT which sounds ok, but might buy the new one if it sounds good. Also am curious to know if it comes with the gatefold sleeve?
    I have all lp's up to Lola as UK PYE or German PRT 80's reissues and the RSD 2LP releases of Face To Face, Something Else and Arthur, so I don't feel the need for any other titles at the moment.

Millington likes this.
  8. Millington

Millington Forum Resident

VGPS comes out 2nd week in January. I would imagine it is the same digital mastering as the CD & Mono/Stereo green splattered vinyl, that came out a few years ago. As for the cover I would imagine it will be a gatefold. But beware the scanning reproduction of the covers. It makes them look like 3rd generation photocopies. if I were you I would not bother.

9. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

This is a very good point about these being a better value but I've come to understand that many records cut after the late 70s may have had digital step involved (digital delay) and some as low as 14-bit. It's really hard to say though. I try to steer clear of most 80s vinyl for this reason and others. I'm just mentioning this as a possibility and not to say you are wrong. I'm glad to hear about this option honestly.

10. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

I believe Sanctuary was sold by Universal to BMG Rights Management which is not part of Sony Music.

11. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

These were cut in 1979/1980 according to some of the matrix stamps. I would be really surprised if there was anything digital involved. They are some of the most jump-out-of-the-speakers, warm sounding albums I own. They have that "magic" that I hear in all analog albums like the new Beatles mono discs. The PRT issues after 1987 actually say "digital" on the labels, and were probably cut from the same masters used to make the PRT CDs that many forum members are so fond of.
    But you are right, these could certainly have some digital step. I don't really know. In any case, they are the best sounding versions of the Kinks albums that I've ever heard.

mikemoon likes this.
  12. NOS300B

NOS300B The Moon Queen

I'm confused about the exact details, perhaps I should have stated BMG rather than Sony but Anthology reads "Sanctuary Records Group Ltd., a BMG company under exclusive license to Sony Music Entertainment." The main point I was trying to make was that they were no longer on Universal in any case.

13. Neonbeam

Over here the new "Village Green" is already out and it IS a gatefold.

mitchcortes and Millington like this.
  14. Neonbeam

The problem with "Village Green" is that there are surprisingly little options if you want it on vinyl. Which is amazing given the fact that this is The Kinks and not Rainbow Fffolly.

If 60's originals - for whatever reasons - aren't available you have the late 70's/ 80's PRT pressings from various countries - some of them "digitally remastered" -, the Earmark release with extra tracks, the limited RSD mono/ stereo and now the new ones. Did I forget anything?

I've got a green Mono PRT in single sleeve and it's later Stereo counterpart - both German - and the latter has the gatefold but also says "digitally remastered". Both sound great. The gatefold from my German PRT looks similar to the new one.

The only way I'm ever going to spend money on this album again is either for a 1968 original or a propely done new analogue reissue. Funny that Iron Maiden just did what whoever is responsible for The Kinks couldn't or wouldn't do: Get someone like Sean Magee, give him access to the original tapes and let him see what he can or can't do with 'em... and offer the finished product for a very good price.

mikemoon, sennj and Millington like this.
  15. Neonbeam

Ha! I've forgot the Reprise US pressings from the early 70's, a Japanese edition from 1973 and the Castle with bonus 7"!

16. Classicrock

Are people assuming these are digitally remastered or does it say so? If they are digital they will use the same sources as the RSD (stere0) reissues. These are better sounding than the Earmarks 10 years before but it's possible the new black vinyl may be better than the coloured RSD. Also if Sony are involved in production and distribution are they using MPO to press these?

17. Nightswimmer

Nightswimmer Forum Resident

You are basically correct. These 80s editions are really good.

18. Millington

Millington Forum Resident

What do the Earmark ones sound like? I ask this because I had the first Black Sabbath LP by them & it was awful mastering. Sounded like like proverbal blanket was over the speakers & the cover was just as bad.

19. Classicrock

The Earmark sleeves are quality product with additional photos, pictures of singles etc. Pressing quality is fine and while it doesn't sound like a blanket has been placed over the speakers they are digital sounding. The triple LP version of Village Green has some bad editing of live bonus tracks - breaks in tracks in strange places which likely line up with track demarcations from the CD.

Millington and Neonbeam like this.
  20. Tom Campbell

Tom Campbell Forum Resident

These will be available in the U.S. at the end of January at a list price of $23.99 each. The current price on Amazon is for copies imported from Europe, where the reissues are already available.

21. Neonbeam

The problem with Earmark reissues is that they look better than they actually are. I bought some of them when I didn't know better but I've sold them all. I've still got "Damned Damned Damned" for the nice replica of the Eddie&Hot Rods cover. And BS's "Master Of Reality", the only early BS album I don't have as original Swirl. The Earmark does a terrific job in reproducing the embossed box cover and poster. Soundwise... well... like Classicrock says above: A CD on vinyl...which is fine if the original is a 90's album and from digital source anyway but severly sucks when it comes to 60's & 70's stuff.

Millington likes this.
  22. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

I need to keep a look out for these lps, what you describe sounds like the real deal at a great value. Thanks for the information!

23. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

Sure! I learned about these on the board.

mikemoon likes this.
  24. LePompDior

LePompDior Forum Resident

Maybe it's the hangover, but I just read through 4 pages of this thread and I didn't see any definitive information on these releases.

Who is pressing the reissues, and where are they sourced from?

25. Wade Burrow

Wade Burrow Bound to get lucky

Sanctuary is behind the pressing of the Vinyl reissues which probably means they are digitally sourced. I don't think there is any specific information available from Sanctuary at this point regarding the sources though.

LePompDior likes this.