Kinks Vinyl Reissues Discussion

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by marigoldilemma, Dec 3, 2014.

1. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Which is why I asked.

Mazzy likes this.
  2. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Black is US

3. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Who's on first?

KinkySmallFace1991 and Tommyboy like this.
  4. rtalwani

rtalwani Forum Resident

I don't know.

5. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

I don't know is on third.

sami likes this.
  6. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

Yes more KG analog please.
    The local shops are pretty funny here for being in a big city: Dusty Groove got everything including the VGPS from the UK, and tried to keep them stocked at those high prices, and then when the US 1st 4 came out they got those and for awhile had some of each. Reckless Records which has three locations around Chicago (and are based in London I think) never got any of them at all until maybe July or August! They are usually up to speed (I got the Faces vinyl box the day it came out there) but I remember browsing there in early July and seeing no Kinks so I finally asked one of the clerks up front why they weren't stocking the new Kinks releases done in the US, and even babbled on about the UK versions being digital etc., then I got the deer in the headlights look and they went to scrambling on their computers and then there was an ..oh ,,,yeah.. kind of moment.
    Maybe they laid off because their RSD 7" eps were still sitting around or who knows, all I know is that there used to be a time when I would just rely on what I saw hit the shops (as opposed to going online at all) when I traded in lps there and I would always check the Kinks bin for anything new. Now I mainly only go there when I have researched something new worth getting, then I drag in a pile of castoffs for trade value towards it.
    Already putting a pile together for the Bowie box...

Last edited: Sep 6, 2015
    Stone Turntable likes this.
  7. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Oops. I didn't rest the OPs post closely enough

8. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

I'm really curious if we'll see mono and stereo for albums like Something Else and Village Green. I'm okay with Arthur just being stereo since it gets a bit muddy towards the end of the mono mix. But I'd really like to get my hands on both mono and stereo Something Else and Village Green. I find pleasure in both mixes.

googlymoogly and cc-- like this.
  9. marmil

marmil It's such a long story...

Hard to believe this isn't The Who...

Tommyboy likes this.
  10. KinkySmallFace1991

KinkySmallFace1991 Will you come back to me, Sweet Lady Genevieve?

I don't care of the out-of-phase stereo mix of Something Else too much, so I tend to lean on the mono. although I love the remixes included on Anthology. EXCLUDING THE TRACKS REMIXED FOR ANTHOLOGY, was the album ever mixed in-phase back in '67? I've heard of an in-phase "Waterloo Sunset", and wonder why it didn't show up on Anthology.

As far as Village Green is concerned, the stereo and mono are two different albums. One is not necessarily better than the other, just two different journeys and experiences. Arthur kicks in stereo, mono get too muddy and distorted as times. It's the only mono mix by any band I've listened to thus far that I don't enjoy.

Finally, any reason why Lola wasn't included in the UK digital run from December/January? Does anyone think it'll show up as a US analog?

11. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

If they continue with the idea of 4 albums, I would hope so. OR they could go the route of stereo and mono for Something Else and VG, and wait to do the same for Arthur, Lola, and Percy at a later date. I guess since Percy doesn't deserve it's own treatment (grrrr), maybe they'll put that full album in the deadwax of Lola.

12. Amnesiac

Amnesiac Forum Resident

As someone who got into the Kinks very recently, I decided to pick up Kinks and The Kink Kontroversey at Barnes and Noble (would have bought the others but the jackets were destroyed). I was really bummed when I took the records out of the sleeves and saw that there were a bunch of marks 0n them, but then I played them and they are extremely quiet and flat! I was so impressed with the sound of these that I decided to order the other two online.

Great to hear that there are plans for the next few albums, as I'll certainly be picking them up.

patient_ot, e.s. and Daniel Plainview like this.
  13. HadgeTunes

HadgeTunes Forum Resident

14. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

15. I saw his Facebook post and I asked if the next set of mono LPs will be released soon or in 2016. No reply.

16. googlymoogly

googlymoogly Forum Resident

If they're just now getting to work cutting those albums to lacquers, I would expect release dates would be for next year...particularly with the backup in getting vinyl pressed these days, as well as attendant delays in getting artwork printed.

17. MickAvory

MickAvory Forum Resident

I'm glad the next batch (or at least Something Else) is being worked on. But.. its too much secrecy. I guess they were waiting to see how the first 4 sold before jumping on the next wave. Well.. lets hope this is the next wave. Sandoval didn't exactly say we are getting Village Green or Arthur or anything beyond Something Else.

Always keeping my fingers crossed with these Kinks. And.. actually.. I'll take what I can get. I'm not complaining. Kevin Gray's work on these issues and the EPs for RSD has been fantastic. Its nice to have analog Kinks LPs cut by a top level engineer.

18. Dr. J.

Dr. J. Music is in my soul

So is the current Something Else from Sanctuary in stereo?

19. spencer1

spencer1 Great Western Forum Resident

All apologies if the answer is somewhere in these 54 pages.
    Are these the ones with the red "50th Anniversary" stickers?

20. Amnesiac

Amnesiac Forum Resident

The UK reissues have a red sticker and the US ones have a black sticker.

The US reissues (which only the first four have been released) have been confirmed to be cut from the original master tapes. The UK ones have been assumed to have been cut from digital.

Well Chahooa last page said that Sandoval said more were being cut in September. That sounds like more than just Something Else to me. Plus Something Else through Arthur already have unique UPC codes different from the UK releases and a price of $19.99, so I assume these will all happen... I hope Arthur is in stereo.

21. chahooa

chahooa Forum Resident

That's what he said, fingers crossed, didn't say which titles or how many

22. chacha

I would love to hear a new cut of Village Green in stereo but I'm sure the new one will be mono as the others.

23. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

Ditto to these, but only because I already have German PRT copies of both of them in mono! I'd love to be able to have both mixes. Conversely, I'm excited to get Something Else in mono, since I already have the PRT stereo.

24. Warrenville33

Warrenville33 Forum Resident

Village Green was cut this morning...

Per Sandoval's tweet: "This morning was spent w/the Village Green Preservation Society &now on to the Decline & Fall of plain/simple Arthur"

25. chacha

I think the stereo mix of Village Green is more fully realized. I lean towards the mono of Something Else.

Tommyboy likes this.