Kirmuss Audio Ultrasonic RCM?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Steve0, Apr 28, 2018.

1. bluesaddict

bluesaddict High Tech Welder

I have been getting "soap" the most in the area that is still wet and not so much in areas that are not. The circular motion dose make it worse and not so if you go with the grooves like you say. On some newer records I get no "soap" at all when cleaning so I'm thinking its from who ever had it before me and what they used to clean it. I have read here that some use dish soap and tap water in their wash. Maybe I'm getting some of those not sure. Have you tried cleaning a new record yet? Overall I'm very pleased with the results and the sound improvement from this RCM and at a good price IMHO.

rollo5 likes this.
  2. PhilCo

PhilCo Forum Resident

Does anyone know if Kirmuss is coming to the California Audio Show next weekend?

3. rollo5

rollo5 Forum Reprobate

This is pretty much exactly my experience so far. I've probably cleaned about 100 records with the Kirmuss now, fwiw.

4. Smokinone

Smokinone Well-Known Member

Just a quick note. I put some water in the empty surfactant bottle to clean it out, shook it up and it had lots of suds.
    I'm pleased with the machine, just have doubts on the "soap" being something left behind on the record. I'm not saying there isn't anything being left on there, but don't think the soapy-ness(?) is an indication.
    Of the 3 cleaning sessions I've had or done, there is always a bunch of junk in the bottom of the cleaner, so I know it's doing a good job in that respect. All my records have had at least 2 to 3 cleanings on the OKKI prior.

bluesaddict, rollo5 and Shawn like this.
  5. draden1

draden1 Forum Resident

Just ordered, the site says it'll be 2 weeks before new units are in. Has anyone else run into this, how long did it actually take before you received it?

I'm excited to try it out as all I've ever had is a Spin Clean or whatever hand wash I felt like doing.

6. bluesaddict

Very glad to hear they your machine is doing a good job for you. I've noticed suds when I dropped my bottle the other day too.

I've been doing a little experimenting with what I use to clean the record after the 1st bath. Instead of the applying the surfactant and using the camel hair brush to clean the record I've been using the fluid from my spin clean (ran out of the other) like I did the other but only two sprays not three then the brush. It seams to be doing a good so far. Then I run a 2nd bath and use my old spin clean with just DI water for final rinse. Wipe dry with spin clean towels then a Mobile Fidelity - Record Cleaning Brush. I feel that I'm getting as good as results this way as the other. Either way I'm very impressed with the RCM and the improvement sound that I've been getting.

Have you noticed any improvement is sound quality?

When I ordered mine it took about three weeks to get here. It was worth the wait for sure. Keep your spin clean for final rinse it dose a very good job.
    Let us know how you like it.

rollo5 and Shawn like this.
  7. draden1

draden1 Forum Resident

Thanks, I’ll definitely report back after I’ve played with it for a bit.

8. ashulman

ashulman Forum Resident

Here are my impressions

bluesaddict and Shawn like this.
  9. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

I congratulate you on your refined taste in music!

ashulman likes this.
  10. draden1

draden1 Forum Resident

Well scratch the 2 weeks thing, just received an email with UPS tracking. Nice!

Grainger49 and bluesaddict like this.
  11. draden1

draden1 Forum Resident

Got it today and have gotten through a batch of records so far, 3 double lp’s, 2 regular lp’s, and a 45. The 3 double lp’s we’re already in great shape and haven’t given them a listen yet. The 2 regular lp’s are the worst in my collection regarding surface noise (almost unplayable, noise during normal music parts) so I gave them 5 cycles, applying the surfactant each time. Both are significantly better regarding SN (not perfect), think going from poor/fair to G+/VG+.

I was curious if I give them both another 3-4 cycles if that would make a difference? Is there a point with ultrasonic where you just can’t get it any better, regardless of how much you keep doing it?

What’s the most cycles you’ve given a record and did you notice when it wasn’t getting better?

12. rollo5

rollo5 Forum Reprobate

Warren,
    Have you formed an opinion yet on the Kirmuss RCM?

dubious title likes this.
  13. ayrehead

ayrehead Forum Resident

I just bought one a week ago and I love it. It does a better job than my now broken Audio Desk.

Grainger49 likes this.
  14. draden1

draden1 Forum Resident

Glad to hear it, what solution do you use in the bath? Do you only use it as directed (distilled water + 40ml 70% alcohol) or do you do something different?

15. ayrehead

ayrehead Forum Resident

I’m going by the book and using as directed. I’m listening to Andrew Hill’s Point of Departure on Music Matters as we speak and I’ve never heard it like this. Incredible.

dubious title likes this.
  16. dubious title

dubious title Forum Resident

Wow. That's high praise. Glad to hear as I've owned one for a couple of months and have kind of been on the fence about the benefits of ultrasonic cleaning. Also high praise considering the audio desk is 4-5 times more expensive - and yours is broken!

I first use an enzyme clean (musical surroundings "record time") in conjunction with my VPI and then proceed to complete two 10 min cycles in the Kirmuss. I have not added alcohol to the distilled water yet. There have been a few records with very stubborn background noise that have gone though three cycles in the Kirmuss, I didn't get the sense that repeated cycles amounted to an especially better/quiter sounding record. When I auditioned the Kirmuss in Toronto the dealer felt the improved sonic presentation of the music was the most important part of cleaning records this way. This is kind of my take away too, didn't expect miracles with regards to a much quieter playback, but the music sounds better. Perfectly willing to admit I'm still learning how to get the best results out of this machine, and am very pleased with the quality and for some perverse reason enjoy cleaning records.

I'm a bit confused about the temperature LED gauge. I don't believe the manual goes into too much detail about this. The manual does tell you to shut off the machine after 20-30 minutes (if i recall correctly). I assume that when the fourth bar reaches a half illuminated red it's getting too hot. Any thoughts on this or what is an optimal temperature to best clean records?

17. ayrehead

ayrehead Forum Resident

Yes the music should sound better. I use with the alcohol added. I run a 5 min. cycle, apply the surfactant fluid, and then run a 10 min. cycle.

I think the temperature gauge is reading water temperature as best I can tell. I may give them a call about this however.

Overall I’m very pleased with the Kirmuss. It does the job at a reasonable price.

18. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

A question for these that have the Kirmuss. How long does it take for a full record rotation?

19. ayrehead

ayrehead Forum Resident

Looks like about 29 seconds.

20. bluesaddict

I'll second that. Just started to clean some Who albums. :D

21. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Great, thanks!

22. draden1

draden1 Forum Resident

I would agree with the above statement about the music presentation being “better” than before cleaning. Hard to explain fully but you know it when you hear it, like you’re a little closer. Still get some pops or ticks but I’m starting to think that is damage to the record or a pressing defect instead of something that can be cleaned away? The pops/ticks are typically short in duration and have a consistent pace, each time the record spins and gets back to that spot. I’m not getting the bad sizzle except for a few older records, after cleaning the sizzle is reduced (not eliminated).

That’s why I am wondering what people are using in the bath, and if they get better results than with the directed distilled water/alcohol combo?

rollo5 likes this.
  23. ayrehead

ayrehead Forum Resident

You probably already know this but the manual states that the warranty will be voided if any other solutions or cleaners are used. I’m sticking with the alcohol!

24. draden1

draden1 Forum Resident

Yeah, I saw that too but I’m sure people are trying all kinds of home brews.

25. Clayton93

Clayton93 Forum Resident

As far the anti-fungal/surfactant product that Kirmuss sells I believe that it is Propylene Glycol [C3H8O2] 99.5% USP Food Grade 8 Oz in a Space-Saver Bottle USA
    that just needs to be diluted. Any thoughts? If this is correct a 8 oz bottle is very reasonably priced on ebay.

As far as a replacement for the alcohol bath has anyone tried this product from Amazon, TergiKleen? Having tried many commercial and home remedy products this product far surpasses anything used in the past. KirmussAudio has a video that shows system maintenance, following the video it seems hard to believe using any cleaner besides 70% alcohol would damage the KA-RC-1.