Kirmuss Audio Ultrasonic RCM?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Steve0, Apr 28, 2018.

1. Warren Jarrett

Warren Jarrett Audio Note (UK) dealer in SoCal/LA-OC In Memoriam

I am missing out on trying my Kirmiss AND participating in this discussion because I have been in and out of the hospital for the past few months. Lung surgery.

I seem to be on the verge of a gentle recovery, and the FIRST thing I'm gonna do is assemble this thing and clean some records.

2. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Hope you feel better and have a speedy recovery.

3. Warren Jarrett

Yes, I am a dealer for the Kirmiss. I can take an order, and ship directly from the manufacturer to the customer. But I am no help at all yet about using it, because I've been in and out of the hospital ever since I received my dealer demo unit. So, I suppose I should offer a discount, because I am simply acting as a source, not a resource.

Soundhead likes this.
  4. rollo5

rollo5 Forum Reprobate

Warren,

I’m so sorry to hear you had to have an operation. I hope you are feeling better and that your recovery is swift and complete.

5. Question for those that have this machine, does the mechanism of gears etc mean that there is no room for four 12" slots across the top? I'm very interested in the Kirmuss but I only have a handful of 7" and 10" records so would prefer the slots to be all for 12" discs. If the gears/pulley etc don't get in the way how likely is it that a Kirmuss with 4 slots for 12" records would become available?

6. Warren Jarrett

It comes with 4 slots: 2 × 12", 1 × 10", and 1 x 7". But, as an optional accessory, there is a 4 x 12" top plate available. So 4 LPs can be cleaned at once.

This particular piece is just a molded plastic part, so its quite inexpensive. Throw away the old one, then focus on LPs only, unless you are Steve Hoffman, with records of every imaginable size.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2018
    SandAndGlass, HiFi Guy and Soundhead like this.
  7. That's good to know, I really don't need the 7" and 10" slots so the availability of a four 12" slot top plate is great.

Might be time to start saving up to get 1 of these.

8. Wishing you all the best. Keep us in the loop x

9. Claude Benshaul

Claude Benshaul Forum Resident

Wishing you a full a prompt recovery.

10. doak

doak Senior Member

Please, a pointer as to how one acquires the 4 LP replacement cover. (web link preferably)
    It's availability is essential to my consideration of this unit.

mkane likes this.
  11. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Hey, I have a question.

Of the 200 records that you’ve cleaned using the Kirmuss machine, how many (just an estimate) had that soapy/toothpaste type of film when the surfactant was applied? On average, how many clearing cycles per record do you go through?

12. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

There is a video on YouTube with Kirmuss demonstrating his Machine at Fremer’s home.

rollo5 likes this.
  13. bluesaddict

bluesaddict High Tech Welder

I would say that maybe 10% of them had soapy film to them and of that 10% a 1/4 had a lot of soap. The ones that had a lot of soap cleaned up in three to four 5min cycles. I played them after each cycle to see if they sounded better and for the most part they did. Some were albums I bought new in the late 70's and played them many time cleaning them with what was said to be good at the time.

I took a look for the youtube, but Faemer has so many I couldn't find it. Do you have a link?

Tommyboy likes this.
  14. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

In The Groove KA-RC-1 Ultrasonic Record Cleaning System

bluesaddict likes this.
  15. bluesaddict

bluesaddict High Tech Welder

Thanks for the link. That vid was much better than the others. He lives down in Denver and will be at Audio Fest 2018. Looking forward to talking to him in person.

Tommyboy likes this.
  16. doak

doak Senior Member

Gumboo likes this.
  17. ayrehead

ayrehead Forum Resident

No pain no gain.

Tommyboy likes this.
  18. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Everyone has there own way of cleaning records. I’ve read so many posts over the years on this forum and honestly I don’t think there is a wrong way unless you’re hawking a machine.

19. Smokinone

Smokinone Well-Known Member

Well...every time there's a new video made the process changes a little. I've been through a bottle and a half of the surfactant and just getting a little over 100 records cleaned, not the approx 300 per bottle as claimed in one of the other videos. I am also hitting the record with just 2 sprays instead of 3...I know, what we have here is a failure to (communicate) follow instructions.
    After speaking with Charles about a larger refill bottle or even a concentrate, there is nothing in the future and probably won't be. So at $10 a bottle, and the same for shipping at Morrow, it's pretty pricey really.
    No complaints about the cleaning as I always get a pile of junk in the bottom of the cleaner and most of my records have had multiple cleanings.
    I also took away from the new video we will always be getting the soapy look, but in different degrees of it? From toothpaste looking to not, I couldn't really see much difference in this new video but the record being cleaned had been cleaned previously with an US cleaner according to Charles.

Thanks for the link on the new videos.

Tommyboy likes this.
  20. doak

doak Senior Member

Reminds me of a record cleaning demonstration I witnessed at an “audio club” meeting that involved the kitchen sink, a paintbrush and Dawn liquid. (true story)

Tommyboy likes this.
  21. rollo5

rollo5 Forum Reprobate

FWIW I don't use the surfactant for the majority of records I clean. The Kirmuss does such a good job on its own for me, I rarely see the need for that extra work. Only if a record is inexplicably noisy after a once through with the machine, or I am pretty sure there has been mold/mildew damage, do I even bother. So, hundreds of records in now, I'm still on my first bottle.

A caveat: nearly all of the records I've cleaned had first been cleaned by other methods.

Smokinone, Shawn and Tommyboy like this.
  22. Warren Jarrett

Just write a private message to me, i will order a few, and let you know the details, for your consideration.

23. Warren Jarrett

Hello all, regarding the Kirmuss RCMs, I would like to order a few of these all at one time. So, for a very special price, and only for a limited time, please PM for detailed info.

24. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

I don’t doubt you.

25. ayrehead

ayrehead Forum Resident

So at $10 a bottle, and the same for shipping at Morrow, it's pretty pricey really.[/QUOTE]

To be honest I’m surprised that it only costs $10 per.