Kirmuss Audio Ultrasonic RCM?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Steve0, Apr 28, 2018.

1. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

I should have said Ultrasonic RCMs, not all RCMs. I use and like a Record Doctor.
    However I assumed that all ultrasonic RCMs are one stop shopping like my friend's Klaudio. Apparently not and this thread has turned me off to Ultrasonic RCMs that demand additional manual steps like rinsing and drying

Minty_fresh likes this.
  2. Old Zorki II

Old Zorki II Storm Watcher

I got myself now pro-jest vc-s RCM. While 499 by no means cheap - it easy and cheap to operate and does wonders so far

3. marka

marka Forum Resident

$700 retail. I bought mine in new condition for a few hundred less.

Isn’t that cheaper than the Kirmuss?

4. Warren Jarrett

Warren Jarrett Audio Note (UK) dealer in SoCal/LA-OC In Memoriam

In my opinion, there is an overwhelming buzz (pun intended) about ultra-sonic record cleaning. I think this interest is WELL warrented. Scrubbing an LP with water, detergent and alcohol is now old-school.

5. Smokinone

Smokinone Well-Known Member

The Kirmuss surfactant is labeled as non-toxic. However, I remember an incident where a Chinese supplier for medical grade additive to children's cough syrup supplied anti-freeze and in turn several children died as a result. I believe it was in Cuba. Not that anyones going to drink the record cleaning or surfactant solutions, just a take it with a grain of salt on statements made about products. And the Kirmuss solution, according to Charles, is basically anti-freeze.

marka likes this.
  6. Old Zorki II

The only reason someone would prefer one hour cleaning to 2 minute regular RCM I can attribute to new fad of eatable pot, where you have to wait 1 hour plus for thing to work. :hide:

7. Drewan77

Drewan77 Forum Resident

If I hadn't been totally satisfied with vacuum RCM including steam cleaning for the past 20 years I would buy an ultrasonic machine in a heartbeat.

As it is, I clean Discogs and other purchases with my existing machine and many are as near mint-perfect sounding as I could possibly want anyway. Single LPs take less than 5 minutes each (& the steam part of the process has a huge positive impact)

Minty_fresh likes this.
  8. marka

marka Forum Resident

Yep, Charles told me that, too. Not exactly non-toxic. I suspect the fungicide isn’t non-toxic either.

9. Diskhound

Diskhound Forum Resident

Yeah, I hear ya. It's all so crazy. All my records have already been cleaned and rinsed with my VPI 16.5 or more recently with my VPI Typhoon. For the most part they are pretty nice playing records now. But ... Being crazy myself, I have recently purchased the Kirmuss anyway. I will always initially clean and rinse all incoming records with my VPI before they are officially added to my collection. For many records I think that's all that will ever be needed.

I am currently using the Kirmuss to deal with records that still have a bit too much noise and that are worth all the extra effort because they favorites or because they are are more difficult/expensive to find again. I have also started working on records that already sound great (demo quality) to see if I can optimize them. Over time, I'm guess I will work my way through a reasonable chunk of my collection.

I am trying to keep the process relatively streamlined. I add alcohol to the distilled water and run each LP initially for five minutes then I brush on the Kirmuss fluid (two little squirts only) and run each LP for another five minutes before rinsing and vacuuming them on my VPI. In one or two cases I have done two cycles of Kirmuss fluid because I know the record to be particularly problematic.

Overall, it's a great tool to have. I have treated about 40 records so far. While there has been a noticeable reduction in surface noise in virtually every case, I haven't done enough comparative listening to figure out whether there are other positive impacts on huge sound.

Tommyboy likes this.
  10. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Have you had to apply the surfactant several times to a record?

11. Diskhound

Diskhound Forum Resident

I have done a second application on 2 records so far. When I play tested these records after the first application they were improved but still had a bit more surface noise than I care to hear. The second application improved them enough for me.

Tommyboy likes this.
  12. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

Havnt been on this thread for a while now. So were the scientific papers ever posted or was it conveniantely just forgotten?

Last edited: Sep 18, 2018
  13. Leonthepro

According to Kirmus in the Fremer video its a reaction with other chemicals on the vinyl. Even though it was done multiple times and it was a brand new record.

14. Leonthepro

Ah, so hes gone back on what he said?

15. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Where has Kirsmuss gone back on what he’s said?

16. Leonthepro

"While Charles at first said it would go away when all the previous soap and contaminants were gone, he now says, if I understand correctly, that the "soapy" look is always there, but in a different degree over an initial toothpaste look for a more contaminated record."

17. IGD Positive

IGD Positive Forum Resident

Do you have one of the newer models? I'm looking at a cleaner and this one seemed good. I just don't know if it's worth saving money and getting one of the earlier models or getting the more recent version.

18. Old Zorki II

I just bought new one from musicdirect and got (after waiting more then a month!) As new as it possibly can be. Works well and very easy to operate even for almost one-handed man )). I like solid metal construction, reverse and the fact that there no plate which can get wet and dirty.
    I am not sure, however, that their clamp 100% protect from cleaning liquid - I had one or two "spills" to the label. Not a big deal, but still.. thinking about large thin o-ring under clamp to protect very valuable records (if and when I would get those records remains to be seen ))) ). Silicone o-ring 242 seems to fit the size perfectly (on paper).

Last edited: Sep 18, 2018
    IGD Positive likes this.
  19. bluesaddict

bluesaddict High Tech Welder

I can tell you first hand that the toothpaste look was present on quite a few of the records that I have cleaned and after a couple rounds in his RCM it (toothpaste) went away. The camelhair brush IMO is what makes the record look like it still has soap on it when it really doesn't. When I swirl the brush around in circles it will make the "soap" come up, but if I just go around with the grooves I can't see any. That is when I know this RCM has done its job.

I'm enjoying less surface noise, much more clarity not only in the vocals but also being able to hear all the instruments. Miles Davis - Dark Magus hasn't left the play stack in front of my system for quite some time (second album I cleaned).

Tommyboy likes this.
  20. ayrehead

ayrehead Bipedal Forum Resident

I've gotten to the point where I apply the surfactant to the record first and then run a 15 minute cycle, rinse and dry. It seems to be working well for me.

Minty_fresh and dubious title like this.
  21. dubious title

dubious title Forum Resident

Good to know. You've been experimenting.

So, prep the record by dry brushing with generic record brush, spray some distilled water on both sides of the record, add surfactant and insert for one 15 minute cycle?

22. ayrehead

I don't spray water on the record before applying the surfactant. I put it on dry.

dubious title likes this.
  23. dubious title

dubious title Forum Resident

Thanks. I'm going to try your method. Less work. Like you I'm enjoying the Kirmuss.

24. ayrehead

Good to hear. It's a necessary accessory IMHO.

rollo5 likes this.
  25. I just received my new Kirmuss today, I've yet to unpack it as it came just before I left for work. I want to ask those that already have 1 did you buy any extra lint free opticians microfiber cloths or find a cheap alternative online. I don't really want to keep using just 1 cloth and would prefer to have a few to rotate etc