Kishin Shinoyama Photography Book. John Lennon & Yoko Ono. Double Fantasy.*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Jerry Horne, Sep 18, 2014.

1. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025) Thread Starter

2. thestereofan

thestereofan Senior Member

3. supermd

supermd Senior Member

If this was about $650 less, I'd buy it.

mr. steak and Thesmellofvinyl like this.
  4. DLeet

DLeet Forum Resident

let's hope they release this for usual people some day in a not so much luxurious form.

kronning likes this.
  5. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025) Thread Starter

6. 5th-beatle

5th-beatle Forum Resident

First of all, thanks to the Gort who took the time to reopen this thread.

I have finally been able to buy this book and it's beautiful. It's larger than The Beatles Anthology book and (according to the salesman from Taschen) has a weight of 7kg.

There are dozens of pictures that I had never seen before of John & Yoko in the studio, at the Dakota and walking around Central Park, all taken in September 1980. There are a couple of pages that open up (becoming 4 pages) and show alternate pictures from the "Double Fantasy" and "Milk And Honey" front covers.

Here are pictures that I took, which show the front cover of the box, the signed page and the front cover of the book (inside the opened box):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sargon, WildHoneyPie9 and DLeet like this.
  7. 5th-beatle

I don't know whether it's now sold out or not, but it's certainly worth it. Beautiful presentation and it includes several images of John & Yoko that had never been published and remain unavailable anywhere else.

Sargon likes this.
  8. WildHoneyPie9

WildHoneyPie9 Forum Resident

Can you post some unseen pictures from this book? It looks like a real gem with lots of rare photographs, stuff that even I never have seen before.

[​IMG]

9. 5th-beatle

I could, but since they're copyrighted images I'm not sure it would be allowed here. Perhaps you can check with the moderators?

10. WildHoneyPie9

WildHoneyPie9 Forum Resident

A few pics wouldn't harm anyone, I think. Would be appreciated.

Wait, i'll send you a PM.

11. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Sorry, we will definitely remove copyrighted pictures!

Forum Policies, Rules and Terms of Use

Unacceptable Post and Message Content
    • Copyrighted photographs (linked from other sites, or attached to forum posts).

12. 5th-beatle

13. Sargon

Sargon OHNOTHIMAGAIN

I'm late to this one, but I just now got my order in. (Been procrastinating for a long time on this one). Yoko's unfortunate health made me think that if I'm going to do it, I should pretty soon.
    There was a July 9-12 sale this summer. I wonder if these were discounted and how much.

This book isn't a "retread" of familiar pictures, compiled yet again, in the plethora of magazines and books that we have all seen.
    This time, rare, unseen, personal, family pictures taken of a life right before it was snuffed out - from the photographer of the Double Fantasy lp front and back cover.

I'm simply not used to seeing many pictures from the last year of his life anyway.

Our final glimpse into the life of an artistic genius. It will be a privilege to finally be able to view these pages. Something I couldn't afford to get. Something I couldn't afford not to get.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2020
  14. maclen

maclen Senior Member

All these TASCHEN books are so cool. I wish I ever could afford to buy one. Not so far.

Sargon likes this.
  15. Sargon

Sargon OHNOTHIMAGAIN

One of the reasons why I know I haven't seen many pictures of Lennon from this time period, either in this book or otherwise, is that I'm sort of taken back at how old and thin he looks.
    His face is very narrow compared to the Walls and Bridges time period. Personally I thought McCartney by 1980 didn't "age" or look hardly different from 1974. "Baby Face Macca!"

I'm used to the 74 Walls and Bridges promo and album images and then.... with his 5 year retirement, he kind of falls of the face of the earth.
    When he "reemerged" in 1980, all I've really seen is the picture sleeves from around 3 of his singles, lp images, the RollingStone cover, and the horrible images from that final fateful night.

Of course it doesn't matter how one "looks" in the slightest, but these differences do punctuate the reality that I have and will be viewing something very new, rare, and special.

In the end, he fell of the face of the earth for the final time. But we have his timeless music, stories, and images. Yoko has done so much to help keep his memory alive.
    I know this offering is far from "free", but my heart says, "Thanks for this very personal book Yoko!"

Last edited: Aug 22, 2020
  16. Sargon

Sargon OHNOTHIMAGAIN

I also absolutely adore her big white IMAGINE BOOK that was released a year or two ago. It sooo captures the vibe and time of that release.

(There is a Hoffman Imagine book only thread, that went dead and closed very quicky).

It took me many, many months of RELENTLESS internet and overseas phone call searching to track down signed ones of these. EVERY official/unofficial place, on both sides of the pond that offered them factory new at retail prices, (NOT paying 1200.00 on Ebay thank you), cancelled my orders because they didnt' get them in. Target, Amazon, (yes)Walmart (all official places on Yoko's webpage), and in the U.K - I took a shot at Waterstones and The Book Depository. It was like these 300 copies were sold out BEFORE they hit their release date. Yet I NEVER got any reply that the were sold out. All these places, even the official ones on Yoko's links, simply never got them in. So what stores actually had them? I have no idea and ran out of places to look. Let's just say, if they had them, they weren't telling me about it.

I put orders in with ALL of these places. One by one, they cancelled on me. I finally tracked a retail price one down in Australia, Booktopia?, the ONLY place that actually had copies IN STOCK, only to discover that they didn't ship to the U.S. (I sat there and watched them on the site, sell out one by one).:shake: "Three, two, one, . . . SOLD OUT."

I contented myself to get the 3000 copy, non-signed deluxe editions, both Grand Central (U.S.) and Thames and Hudson (U.K.) publishers and call it "quits". Love slowly reading through this "beast". Got a number #500 I thought was pretty cool.

"The months passed very quickly" as I sat aging in my chair staring out the window like Bella in the second Twilight movie (New Moon). :eek:

Then one day, "Out Of the Blue" . . . sealed signed #17! at retail price. :bdance:

And then . . .

17. Sargon

Sargon OHNOTHIMAGAIN

From looking at the posts here, her signature on the Imagine book is much cleaner and detailed looking. (I think she was in a "hurry" with the Kishin book). The signatures look sooo different that I'd think one was "fake" if they didn't come from such reputable publishers.

The Kishin book signature, from the posted pictures, looks like it was done with an artists sketch pencil.

On the Imagine book, she didn't write her last name either, (kinda surprised me). But I guess she was trying to make it more "personal" by writing, "Love Yoko".

The other difference is she signed 300 "book cards" that they later glued to the book. So in that regard she didn't actually sign the book like the Kishin offering.
    I wish she did. But I also can't "Imagine" this frail thin older lady dealing with these coffee table size books that weigh a ton. (Perhaps they could have had them already opened in groups on a table).

18. 5th-beatle

You're going to love this book. It's full of amazing unseen pictures, and you're right about ordering it while it's still available from the publisher at the original price.

I don't know about the "Imagine" book, but she did sign her last name on this "Double Fantasy" book, as you can see in the picture that I posted earlier in this thread. It's not a very recognizable signature (maybe she was bored or in a hurry), but it's possible to see that it's her first and last name.

Two of them were published on The Daily Beatle a few days ago, originally taken on September 18, 1980:

In Lennon’s garden – The Daily Beatle

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sargon likes this.
  19. Sargon

Sargon OHNOTHIMAGAIN

@5th-beatle, thank you for the info and those absolutely PRECIOUS pics. It will be both a luxury and a privilege to be able to have this intimate inside look at a time of great happiness.

I'm already blown away by what I am seeing right here.

The pic you posted of John smiling with little Sean is worth the price of the book alone. (I'm literally tearing up). I NEVER have seen these images in my entire life.
    (Note the pillow. It says, "A Woman's Place is in the Home", - I presume.-Meaning John retired at home raising Sean).

(Just got a shipment notification from them this morning. Fingers crossed that it won't sustain any outer book box damage. But their site appears to cover you for such occurrences).

Last edited: Aug 24, 2020
    5th-beatle likes this.
  20. 5th-beatle

You're welcome. I hope you have received your book in perfect condition and are enjoying it!

Sargon likes this.
  21. 5th-beatle