Kiss 2014 Vinyl Reissues (Pt4)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Jul 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wkcchampion

wkcchampion Well-Known Member

Yes. Roxette is made up of Per Gessle and Marie Fredriksson. I have the two LP you mentioned and some 12" singles too.

batman144144 likes this.
  2. batman144144

batman144144 Nocturnal crime fighter/audio enthusiast.

I've never understood the hate for that song. I don't think it's great, but I'd rate it average to good. The thing I love about it is Bruce's guitar work. Whenever someone disses KISS's musicianship, I say, hey, check out the guitar on this track. They don't have too much to say after that...

bartels76 and fuhrsy31 like this.
  3. batman144144

Wow, I can't believe I actually remembered that guy's name and spelled it right. They were pretty popular back in the day, but no one remembers them now. Underrated as a duo, I would say.

The album they came out with after those two was Crash, Boom, Bang. It's also good, but not really up to the standard of those two. I looked on amazon and noticed they have a couple of recent albums. I might have to check that out...

4. batman144144

My German copy of Paul's solo arrived Tuesday, but I haven't had the chance to check it out. Maybe I can get to it over the weekend. Of the albums yet to be released in the US, the only others I plan to get are Gene's solo, RARO, and Creatures (only if it's the '82 mix). I'm tempted to pick up Alive II as well, but I don't think I will. If I remember correctly, someone on kissfaq said the sound improvement was very marginal, and I already have a good vintage copy.

Anyway, Paul's solo has always been a favorite of mine and I'm looking forward to hearing how it sounds on these reissues.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2014
  5. batman144144

So, amazon just emailed me to let me know RARO has been pushed back, again, to August 19. :cussing::rant::tsk::thumbsdow:disgust::mudscrying::wantsome:

515 and Emperor5353 like this.
  6. jstger6969

jstger6969 Forum Resident

7. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

Yeah I have all the originals and inserts.

8. celticbob

celticbob Forum Resident

Still slowly picking these up and enjoying every title. So far I have debut to DESTROYER plus ASYLUM and PSYCHO CIRCUS. COS is en route. Haven't hit a bad one yet.

Mij Retrac and Emperor5353 like this.
  9. wkcchampion

10. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Itunes - UK has samples of all songs from Ace's new album, I'd like to say it's awesome but that would be a lie, a big one. Some really cringeworthy stuff on this record.

11. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

:(

12. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

yeah, 1978 was a long time ago

13. dustdevil

dustdevil Forum Resident

Thankx for the needledrop.
    Just compared it to my jap. Vinyl and it turns out,
    it sounds significantly differnt.
    I compared A/B Makin' Love and Love Gun
    and the Sound has a smileyface Eq.
    The Bass now is louder, has more punch on the low end and is
    much more prominent in the Mix.
    The Guitars on the other Hand are now less loud and more in the background
    as also Paul's Voice. The Distortion from Mic Saturation is still present
    but now due to the lower volume it seems not that evident.
    Unfortunately the Guitar in the right channel of Love Gun in some parts,
    escpecially in the first 40 Seconds, is now almost absent.
    The Volume of the Guitar is turned down to almost zero in some parts.
    But Gene' Bass is pumping all over it.....
    Overall there is less distortion, but to be honest, I don't like it the way it sounds
    Thanx again for the chance to compare.
    I won't be buying for sure...

14. batman144144

15. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

I was finally able to do another original vs 2014 A/B test a couple of days ago. This time it was Animalize and it was the same story - the original sounded big, warm and 3D (well for a 1984 recording) and the reissue was weak, flat, digital and harsh. The original rocked a LOT better. The system was pretty awesome as well (Tannoy Kingdom 18 speaker, Manley 300B and 250 monos and VPI turntable). This is the last 2014 that I unsealed. The rest go on sale sealed.

erniebert and markaberrant like this.
  16. I love that record.

17. wkcchampion

The smiley face EQ might be the AT440MLA and the Phono Box RS - or the mastering engineer didn't roll off extremes as they would in the past. What's wrong with having more frequency content? It's a good thing, not a bad thing, uh?
    Honestly? Mine sounds much better than yours. Yours DISTORTS in the inner track (Love gun)! Deal breaker.

18. wkcchampion

And now... the review of UNPLUGGED.

Mmmm... this album surprised me. It sounds much better than I expected. No, I don't have the CD to compare to, but I expected it to sound quite "demoish". Well, it is bass-heavy in some parts (maybe some edited-out Larssen effect?), but overall great. Let's go in order.
    The packaging is a bit lacking. No gatefold, no colored sleeves, no lyrics. Just a poster included, which is really eye candy. The pictures are really excellent, and show the 6 pack in action and during rehearsals.
    On to the music... Overall it sounds pretty crystal clear, evident sign of a digital production of the 90s. I like it, well suited for the application. The pressing is dead quiet, once again.
    The acoustic guitars always sound defined and never plasticy. However, the oustanding part is... the vocals! The harmonies have never sounded better. What I love of this album, is that you can really listen to 6 talented musicians without any frills, in an OUTSTANDING performance. Was it doctored in the studio? Maybe, I don't know. Certainly, the delivered effect IS wonderful. I also like the fact that it's not overplayed at all, no "useless" solos (forgive me this expression!). Just the songs, straight... and played masterfully.

My favorite moments: Nothin' to lose in the first place, where the two "Catmen" exchange lyrics, really funny. Then, Goin' blind and Sure know something, fantastic performance (despite the fact I slightly prefer the ones in Alive IV, with the Melbourne ensemble). Same goes for Got to choose. Then, Rock and roll all nite, a classic where also Pete and Ace chime in singing. Finally, Ace's return in 2000 man!

One critic: the track list. I may accept just 4 tracks per side (get up... get up... change side again), but I would have played Shandi, Forever in place of Comin' home and See you tonight.

Reviewed with AT440MLA and AKG K701 headphones.

19. "Goin' Blind", as performed on "MTV Unplugged", is one of the very best moments in Kisstory. In my opinion, of course.

20. Mij Retrac

Mij Retrac Forum Resident

Unplugged is great and a good sounding album. I would say the LP sounds almost identical to the CD.

bartels76 likes this.
  21. Mij Retrac

Mij Retrac Forum Resident

Boy I'm glad I don't have a great system otherwise I would be disappointed in my purchases. Thankfully many of the reissues sound as good or better than my original copies. Thanks for your input.

22. wkcchampion

Oh nice to know. I'm not surprised, though. The master is probably the same in both releases (44.1/16 format) and the CDs made before the "brickwall era", which started in the mid 90s, sounded good to my ears.

Mij Retrac likes this.
  23. Szeppelin75

Szeppelin75 Forum Resident

I agree with your review of Unplugged. That is my favourite of these new reissues. The tracklist?, yeah i would have liked Shandi too, but Comin' Home is a favourite of mine and i also liked See You Tonight. I still Love You and Everytime i look at you i can do without.

24. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

Why not just get an original pressing of the PC solo album with the inserts?

25. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Wish they would've cut this to three sides instead of four to fix this problem. It wouldn't have affected the sound quality at all. I'm going to get it eventually, as I loved this album when it came out (the Unplugged broadcast was really my introduction to Kiss, after all. I think I was 14 at the time?), but yeah, I don't play LP's very often that have super short sides.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.