Kiss 2014 Vinyl Reissues (Pt5)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hodgo, Sep 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dazz

Dazz Senior Member

My pleasure. I've gotten so much information from this place over the years. It's only right to give back occasionally.

4stringking73 likes this.
  2. lj905

lj905 Forum Resident

About breaking the seal...
    A couple of years ago i found - what looked like a original pressing of - Ace's 78 solo album - Still sealed.
    I bought it for almost nothing - broke the seal, and yes - a first us pressing with poster and all.
    Remember the regret I felt... (Should have left it sealed) I don't think I even played it once!
    Now, many years after - I have bought a much better turntable, cartridge and riaa - I played the MINT Ace Solo again - and it sound absolutely stunning. Never heard the reissue - but I can't imagine that I sound as good as the 1st 78 USA pressing!!

Wally Swift and 4stringking73 like this.
  3. batman144144

batman144144 Nocturnal crime fighter/audio enthusiast.

Finally, I have some time to review Rock and Roll Over. I don't have a vintage copy of this, but the packaging seems to have been perfectly replicated. I remember hearing that US version of the sticker used flat grey for Ace's makeup and other areas. Not true. My copy has the shiny, metallic silver in all the appropriate places. Now, I was worried as I took the vinyl out of the inner sleeve because the sleeve just wasn't letting go. Any resident dust was bound to get ground into the grooves. Uh-oh. I finally got the album out and there was, in fact, a buildup of dust, or something, on the record where it used to peak out of the sleeve. I was really afraid of getting something that sounded like a popcorn factory instead of a KISS album. That being the case, I cleaned the record extra carefully.

Before I really get into this, I should say that the copy of RARO I'm used to listening to is the '97 Remaster CD. I did not do any direct A/B comparisons, so my statements are based on what I remember hearing over the years. When I hear something I have not heard before (in a good way), I know I'm on the right track.

Now, finally, it came time to spin the disc. From the very beginning, I could tell, this was an awesome-sounding piece of vinyl. I mean, wow. So much clarity and detail I've never, ever heard before. This is my all-time favorite KISS album, so hearing it like this is almost beyond words. All instruments are very well defined and localized. Speaking of which, I've never noticed Peter's cymbals so localized in the left channel before. It was actually kind of odd. None of these are remixes, so it had to have been that way all along. No complaints, it was just a bit peculiar. Anyway, the sound was clear and distinct with more space between the instruments than I've heard on this recording before. It was like experiencing a landscape through a perfect, crystal-clear window with every single detail in perfect relief. Just outstanding.

Peter's drums pound heavier; Ace's leads are much better resolved. More on that in just a second. That cowbell really hits you between the eyes. When you hear it on Dr. Love and Ladies Room it is just about as "3-D" as you can get in an audio format.

Back to Ace's leads, they are reproduced here in a more accurate fashion that what we have heard before. There's a lot more detail and tonal accuracy. Check out Love 'Em and Leave 'Em. They put a lot of texture and distortion on Ace's guitar during production. It's all resolved to a degree you've never, ever heard before. I always felt that RARO had a razor-sharp edge and intensity that their other releases never quite matched. Well, with all the clarity of this re-issue, that edge has just become sharper. Ace's work on this album is my favorite from him. As great as the songs already are, his leads elevate the material even more. This version spotlights that and brings us his work with more fidelity than we have ever had. This is easily the definitive version of this LP.

Okay, so, what about those potentially pesky pops and ticks? Just how noisy did this copy turn out to be? Well, my copy is not dead silent, but all that remains after my cleaning is a very gentle crackling between tracks. Believe it or not, I actually kind of like the ambience that adds. My copy is also perfectly flat and centered.
    Do I have anything negative to say about this release? Well, not much. Like I said, my copy is not dead-quiet. The only thing I can really think of is that the treble-boost makes some of the acoustic guitar and some of the cymbal work sound a bit harsh, but it's "localized" to particular instances, such as the pre-chorus of Makin' Love. None of this really affects the overall listening experience, and this is one listening experience you do not want to miss.

Needless to say, this is now one my favorites of all the re-releases.

4. 4stringking73

4stringking73 Forum Resident

Excellent review! Thank you!

5. Kizzguy

Kizzguy Member

I agree! Especially after hearing Rip It out A/B'ed between the two. The "blanket over the speaker" description that another poster used was a dead on description of the new reissue. It's not bad for a casual listener, but if you as re one who likes to sit back and imbed yourself into the experience, Id go with the original!!!

johnny q, 4stringking73 and lj905 like this.
  6. lj905

lj905 Forum Resident

I even enjoyed the original 74 Us 1st pressing of Hotter than hell.
    A better TT/Cart. means that the needle finds more in the groove.
    Of course the Hotter album never will be audiophile - but the stereo image - layers of sound, and right on drive - make it feel really alive - a slight strange sounding snaredrum is my only complain - no need for an eq-ed reissue for me!
    -Long live the 1st pressings ;)

7. 4stringking73

I enjoy listening to the first pressings and the reissues, they each have their own merits to be enjoyed for the most part! If you are a fan of "Hotter Than Hell" I cannot recommend the reissue highly enough! Yes, it is that good!

Mij Retrac and Kizzguy like this.
  8. 4stringking73

Creatures, U.S. version, what mix will it be? Soon,very soon........

9. artieziff

artieziff Forum Resident

I just walked into a local shop today and they had all the solos for$32/apiece. I couldn't help myself for completest sake, as I already have the singles box set and the other 74-81 reissues. I'll report my listening experience ASAP.
    BTW, if anyone is looking for the 74-82 singles set, Popmarket still has them and they are at quite the discount. I ended up paying $139 because it was on sale, and they issued a 20% off coupon that month.

10. Kizzguy

Kizzguy Member

I want those so bad. Just haven't had the dough to fork out. Especially since the reissues have been released! I just need The Elder, Creatures, Alive 2 and the 4 solos and I'm tapping out on the lps. If I can still stumble upon one of the singles box sets when I have the money, I'll tackle it!!! A friend of mine bought the cd version and it was a blast listening to those mixes! I had forgotten just how different some of them are! Not to mention the awesome picture sleeves!

Emperor5353 and 4stringking73 like this.
  11. Kizzguy

Kizzguy Member

I couldnt agree more. I have great original copies of all of them already, but who can resist a Brand NEW, remastered, thick, flat and quiet copy of a vintage KISS album with mint cover and inserts??? Not this guy!!!

Emperor5353 and 4stringking73 like this.
  12. artieziff

artieziff Forum Resident

I definitely plan on getting the 74-82 era and am nearly done. However I'm not sure where to draw the line. Should I spend over $30 for the no - makeup era 84-89? Should i bother with alive iii or the millennium concert? Decisions.....

13. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

From a music perspective; Lick It Up, Asylum, Revenge and Carnival of Souls are essential KISS albums for me...
    The Millennium concert is horrible...don't bother with it.

Vinyl Fan 1973 likes this.
  14. ToddH

ToddH Forum Resident

So creatures of the night has been pushed to October 14th now?

What is going on with this album? I was looking forward to buying this tomorrow

15. 4stringking73

Your guess is as good as mine my friend? Release dates getting pushed back has been common though the past few months of the campaign.

16. batman144144

batman144144 Nocturnal crime fighter/audio enthusiast.

Yup. Can you imagine after all this time if it's still not the '82 mix?

Alive II is also pushed back to Oct 14.

17. 4stringking73

[​IMG]

batman144144, Kizzguy and hi_watt like this.
  18. lj905

lj905 Forum Resident

Ok - I'm gonna give the reissue a try - just ordered Hotter than hell. The albums got a nice discount here in Sweden. The new, lower price is about $13 (99sek)

Kizzguy and 4stringking73 like this.
  19. 4stringking73

That is great that you can get a good deal on the album in Sweden! I am anxious to hear what you think of the "Hotter Than Hell" reissue :)

20. lj905

lj905 Forum Resident

O
    - When it arrives ( within 3 days) it's time for a serious shoot out.
    1st USA vs the 2014 reissue!
    My money's on the Original - but you never know.

21. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

Any more comments about Ace's album? Not sure what to do now. My original's in pretty good shape

22. Emperor5353

Emperor5353 Forum Resident

This is a needledrop from the new Ace 180 gram release..there is no post processing..just a straight rip without declicking....and I probably shouldn't have made it an mp3, but you can get an idea on sound quality

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/64036341/Rip It Out Sample.mp3

23. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Yep.....I arrived home after a long day at work expecting Creatures and Alive II and got nada/zilch/nothing. Checked my Amazon orders and sure enough...now we are talkin 10/14. WTF? I think I pre ordered these in April.

Emperor5353 likes this.
  24. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Maybe the needle drop another forum member posted will help, but as someone who owns both, I cannot in good conscience advise you to buy the 2014.

25. Mij Retrac

Mij Retrac Forum Resident

I have an early US pressing of Hotter Than Hell and the US pressing of the reissue is far superior. Probably the most vastly improved of any of the reissues.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.