Kiss 2014 Vinyl Reissues (Pt5)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hodgo, Sep 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mij Retrac

Mij Retrac Forum Resident

Yep. I gave up for the night. I am up for my day now. Time to get ready for work then back to listening to all my new music!

sandimascharvel and batman144144 like this.
  2. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

It's very good. The original LP had a sound glitch at the beginning of flaming youth, but I wrote to Universal and they sent me a corrected copy. At one point I had 3 copies but sold 2, man if I still had an extra I'd send it to you for free. I guess you don't have a HMV near you? You may find it on Amazon.

3. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Why not pick up the 1997 remaster? It runs about $5 and sounds fantastic.

rock76, andy75, fuhrsy31 and 3 others like this.
  4. artieziff

artieziff Forum Resident

I'm glad they put these out in a digital format and I'm sure they will make them readily available via cd, but I'm gonna have to wait on actually buying these for the time being. The lp's cost more than enough.

4stringking73 likes this.
  5. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

It looks like it's still available on ebay so I might see if I can grab a cheap-ish one there. Just hard to spend a bunch of money on an LP you already own an original of...at the time I sort of dismissed 'ressurrected' as a cash grab and figured it'd be hyper-compressed like 'Monster' and perhaps shoddily-pressed like Sonic Boom.

6. B-Mike

B-Mike Forum Resident

I bought most of them yesterday, haven't listened to much though. They are the same masterings as the recent vinyl releases (as Mij confirmed). In terms of DR, these are done right -- the average for just about all of them was around 10.5.

7. superstar19

superstar19 Authentic By Nature

Also still available at bestbuy.com for $23. Is there a way to tell if you receive a corrected version before opening it?

8. batman144144

batman144144 Nocturnal crime fighter/audio enthusiast.

I agree. I've had all '97 Remasters pretty much since they came out. I just went through them the other day. I'm picking up a Japanese copy (2012) because they usually sound better.

9. Mij Retrac

Lots of KISS bashing on the HDtracks Facebook post advertising the KISS albums release. Going in like kamikaze pilot:cussing:

10. sandimascharvel

sandimascharvel Forum Resident

Thank you for all of the help everyone. I appreciate it.

I listened to previews with headphones on and definitely heard more detail and clarity.

Great to hear about the DR values.

I don't plan on buying a lot of high resolution outside of the Kiss catalog. Famous last words, right?

Looks like I have some decisions to make. Calling today for options… and chomping at the bit.

Mij Retrac likes this.
  11. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

go figure

Mij Retrac likes this.
  12. mercjoe

mercjoe New Member

Yeah, Ive kicked in earlier today and answered that salmon guy

Mij Retrac likes this.
  13. batman144144

For those of you who may be interested, hi-res copies of the Eagles Hotel California and Metallica's Black Album is some of the finest audio to course its way through your sound system. I've had copies of them on DVD-A for several years. You can get the Eagles on HDtracks. I don't know about Metallica.

14. batman144144

...and I almost forgot to mention. I don't mean to tempt those who may need to watch their wallets, but ProStudioMasters does not limit their promo codes to one-time use.......

Curveboy and sandimascharvel like this.
  15. Fortunately for my wallet, downloads don't interest me in the very least (this forum needs a "phew!" smilie).

4stringking73 likes this.
  16. batman144144

Being an old-school kinda guy, I'll always love physical media -- especially vinyl, and even CDs -- but, hi-res files are just the bee's knees for me.

Vinyl Fan 1973 and Mij Retrac like this.
  17. Mij Retrac

Well I hate to sound like a salesperson for hi res but to me hi res (when done right) are the ultimate version of the album. I feel they get you closer to the original master tape than any other form of media can. In the case of these KISS reissues, these are what they made the 2014 records from so you are going to get everything that the record gave you minus the issues that vinyl carries with it (surface noise, IGD, off centering etc. etc.).

For titles such as these it is a rare exception that I will purchase both the physical (records) and hi res versions just because of the visceral impact the records make/made for me. Between the covers and the inserts/inner sleeves of all of these that remind me of my childhood it is something that I have to have the records also. But for something like the Led Zeppelin, I love that stuff but I didn't have Zeppelin when I was little and never owned it on record so the need to have the physical copies just isn't there except maybe on a select few. In my experience I have always been happier with the high resolution version of the album vs the record if they were the same master so it really a no brainer for me.

18. batman144144

What he said.

19. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

amen. it took me a while to get on board, and you do have to do your due diligence when buying hi-res music given the large amount of spurious transfers out there, but once you've heard well done high resolution audio, it renders CDs completely meaningless.

but do yourself a favor and try to avoid, at least 99.9% of the time, the 24/44.1 nonsense being presented as hi-res.

sandimascharvel and Mij Retrac like this.
  20. wkcchampion

wkcchampion Well-Known Member

Yes I agree. Well, had digital been done right in the first place, we'd have forgotten vinyl long ago. After 30 years, probably we're getting there!

I cancelled Alive III. It was delayed with unknown delivery date so I gave up. In the end, I have the CD, so it's not really necessary.

21. Mij Retrac

I just bought the hi res version. i hope I'm not disappointed but we shall see.

wkcchampion likes this.
  22. 4stringking73

4stringking73 Forum Resident

My fear is the extinction of physical media. I like my Kiss inserts (posters,etc). It will be a sad day when all I can buy is a digital file. No matter how good it sounds I want the packaging. I know a lot of us posting buy both physical and non physical music, myself include, I am thankful that we still have the choices.

Hail Vinyl! likes this.
  23. wkcchampion

wkcchampion Well-Known Member

Eeeeeh this will happen sooner or later. In the end, the physical item is unnecessary and, furthermore, pollution is created by factories which make them (wait... aren't servers and computers which hold digital files made with polluting materials too? oh well...)

Unfortunately, GZvinyl and other pressing plants have poor QC and this makes me want to get the digital file instead, despite being a vinyl fan!

I'm not planning to get any Kiss album in Hi-Res. I spent too much for the vinyl LOL!

24. I, for one, want a nice copy of "Double Platinum" and the main reason for it is the uber cool foiled covet, which my Colombian copy doesn't have (not to mention the inserts).

4stringking73 and Mij Retrac like this.
  25. Chris Haley

Chris Haley Music Lover Lurker

I can see why the KISS vinyl thread is alive at part 5 after playing the Love Gun deluxe edition this morning! Digging these three songs way more now: "Got Love For Sale" "Tomorrow and Tonight" (always loved it on Alive II though) and "Then She Kissed Me."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.