Kiss bans Iron Maiden t.shirt worn by interviewer.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by redfloatboat, Jan 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

There's nothing in their demeanors to suggest they are joking... they appear dead serious about it. So if they are joking, it's an Andy-Kaufman-style "pretending to be a self-important a$$hole" joke. It's possible that's what they are doing, but I don't think the guys in Kiss are known for that style of humor. Seems far more likely they are serious.

johnny q likes this.
  2. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

Neutral is best, really. Guy made a mistake, but he had a solid point that, if anything, he shouldn't be wearing a KISS shirt.

3. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

No, it's not a common social convention at all. I've seen dozens of interviews where the interviewer has the shirt of a different band than the one he is talking to. It's done all the time. In no way does it connote disrespect. The sports analogy is not apt at all, because bands are not in competition with each other, and being a fan of one band doesn't preclude being a fan of many others, as it does with sports teams.

4. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

Good thing he wasn’t wearing an Eddie Trunk shirt....

Steve Simm likes this.
  5. I am sure this will create the dynamic that whenever they are now interviewed an Iron Maiden/non Kiss shirt will be worn.

I am also sure if the interviewer wasn't a toddler they wouldn't have tried/felt emboldened.

6. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

I have yet to meet any that don't write for dumb blogs and websites.

7. BurtThomasWard

BurtThomasWard Guided by Loke In Memoriam

Then you are indeed one of the lucky ones, Sir.

You see, I used to live in a place where every single metal and rock bar was filled to the rafters with people wearing mostly vintage tour shirts bought from eBay and patches from band so obscure that the bassplayer's mother didn't even know the band existed (even if they were actually practising in her basement). And among these fine young people it was very common to admire each others clothing and merch.

I thought they were a bunch of elitist w-ankers, but then again I was always too old to want to belong :shake:

8. zakyfarms

zakyfarms White cane lying in a gutter in the lane.

Paul may have been kidding, but Gene wasn't.

9. deredordica

deredordica Music Freak

Wankers and Fascists: Take that shirt off.
    Cool People: Cool shirt, we like Iron Maiden, too!

I hope they were joking!

10. moops

moops Senior Member

Apparently KISS are the only band in the history of rock that has acted like knobs every now and then.

11. How do you infer that from this thread?

12. moops

moops Senior Member

This happened 5 and a bit years ago, but because it features a popular SHF punching bag, those that feel the need to be outraged will happily contribute to prove " what a bunch of tossers KISS are. "

13. They are not the only tossers.

Psychedelic Good Trip likes this.
  14. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

Maiden should start wearing Ace/Peter '78 t-shirts at every interview.

Wes_in_va and Zoot Marimba like this.
  15. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

Knowing Paul, I highly doubt it. Hell, he's probably even worse

16. Doggiedogma

Doggiedogma "Think this is enough?" "Uhh - nah. Go for broke."

If this wasn't scripted, then I kind of get where Paul and Gene are coming from. I watched a history of heavy metal music documentary on TV, and the interviewer would never wear a shirt of the band he was interviewing (always another metal band), and I would think to myself, "If I was the a member of the interviewing band, I would be put off by the interviewer wearing another bands shirt. It's as if the interviewer is dissing the band being interviewed."
    I mean would Eddie Trunk wear a MSG shirt when interviewing Phil Mogg (maybe)? Would he wear a Dio shirt interviewing Ozzy? If you are a music journalist and have a pre-arranged interview with someone, the journalist should not wear a shirt of an opposing band. That is poor form.

17. Wally Swift

Would have been hilarious if a huge Eddie came out and smacked Simmons and Stanley around a bit.

The Trinity and Zoot Marimba like this.
  18. mick_sh

mick_sh Hackney diamond

I kind of understand it. If I have the chance to interview Steve Hoffman, I wouldn’t wear a Chris Bellman t-shirt.

sbsugar likes this.
  19. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

These are men in their mid to late 60’s. They aren’t teenagers in rival gangs. They’ve had their day and certainly made their money. They can’t seem to get through an interview without taking credit for another band’s success. They come across as whiny, bitchy old ladies...and they always have. This is why, that although I will always like their first few albums, and the live album...they will always be a band that I don’t really have a lot of respect for. They just aren’t cool.

Man at C&A likes this.
  20. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

A bunch of 60-year old men are out there wearing makeup and costumes and are mad at an interviewer for wearing another band's t-shirt? That is rich. Just when I thought Kiss, a band that sucks anyway, couldn't become a bigger joke, they somehow do.

Man at C&A likes this.
  21. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

I'm a Kiss fan and I'm not happy about what they did to that young man in that interview. I hate when people bash Kiss relentlessly but after that interview I can't blame people that do. All rock stars at least most have a bad interview at times just wish these other rock stars that have bad interviews would be ripped apart as much as Kiss is getting here. Kiss stunk up the joint with this interview and deserved to be ripped but so does other rock stars who have a bad nasty moment on camera. Still like Kiss regardless just wish they had a more sense of humor.

carlwm likes this.
  22. Donfrance

Donfrance As honest as a politician.

If this was humour than their humour level is way below par. And this happened in 2012? We're not going to confront them with this are we? I mean it happened 5 years ago. May I advise just to listen to their music, as that is what they are good at.

moops and Psychedelic Good Trip like this.
  23. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

It seems to me that Paul was joking in the beginning and things got serious when the interviewer said he had done that in purpose.

Shouldn't had gotten serious though. Sometimes it happens that an artist is a true rival of others but this doesn't seem to be the case between Kiss and Iron, they said it themselves that they love the guys in Iron.

Maybe they know something in the business I don't or they think that by buying Iron merch the guy wouldn't buy a Kiss one. To me it makes no sense but to Ki$$ Inc. it probably does. That talk about a "free" Kiss t-shirt shows that in their minds it's all about the money.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
  24. kendo

kendo Forum Resident

When pensioners go b-a-a-a-a-d...

25. Wally Swift

People don't generally wear Mastering Engineer t-shirts. Everyone wears band shirts. Not really comparable.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.