KISS coming to the "End of the Road?"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by keefer1970, Feb 19, 2018.

1. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

And my favorite tours are the more stripped down ones anyway.

carlwm and Haggis Wampovich like this.
  2. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

I posted this on Feb 8, 2018 on this thread on Page 3. Very similar to what you are saying...........

"That being said, I would be extremely happy, as a long time fan, if they could either do a non make-up tour with an acoustic set or do a full blown full make-up set with everyone but Peter. Sorry, I just think that Eric is much better back there at this point. I would feel sorry for Tommy. But he is a big boy and has made plenty of money with KISS. I think it is time for them to end it on the road. If they want to do studio stuff, the market will dictate that."

ejluther likes this.
  3. AirJordanFan93

AirJordanFan93 Forum Resident

I think it likely would have been. Wasn't like he had been touring for years before he announced "This Is It" so I could have seen him just doing that run of shows and calling it quits.

ejluther likes this.
  4. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

No - Bowie claimed he was retiring those songs period, not just that he wouldn't do future hits tours.

He did retire a few of them, but he brought most of them back. He definitely didn't "keep his word" to retire the whole lot of them...

Matthew Tate likes this.
  5. Oatsdad

Yeah, I thought that was an odd statement on Cher's part! :D

Matthew Tate likes this.
  6. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

That would be awesome but ya know Kiss will stick to the same stale setlist.

Queezma and Terrapin Station like this.
  7. AirJordanFan93

I think at best they might add some make-up era stuff that hasn't been played live in awhile but isn't exactly deep-cup type material. I doubt they go deep into non-makeup stuff.

8. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

Exactly

9. AirJordanFan93

I would expect to see 2nd tier make-up songs at some point like I Stole Your Love etc.

10. Jackstar74

Jackstar74 Forum Resident

Paul Stanley just recently said in a SiriusXM interview not to expect any rarities as the fans want to hear the hits

11. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

Kiss rules and rocks...may this “end of the road” be a never ending Kiss hoax.

Life, imo...is better with Kiss on tour. That said, I’m probably not re upping my Kiss Army membership. My days of worrying about presales for most bands is over.

I’ll just buy tickets on StubHub or Axs as the dates are revealed.

P.S. - no, I don’t really care how intact Paul’s vox are or aren’t. I’m never dissatisfied when I’m there...as long as they’re there and the merch booth is fully stocked. What a fun band. Can’t wait to take my wife & all my “willing” kids (prob just my youngest 18 yr old daughter.)

Curveboy, 905, Todd W. and 1 other person like this.
  12. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

As usual my man, I couldn't say it any better. Except, like Elton last week, this will be my absolute last time no matter what. I saw the KISS and Leppard tour in 2014. Mainly, because I had never seen Leppard. I also saw the 2012 tour with the Crue, because I had never seen them either. I saw Vince open for Van Halen in 1993. I took my kids in 2012 (14, 15 and 16). I haven't seen anything since 2014 because I knew there would be an end game soon. I hope this is it and they do it correctly.

Clanceman and Matthew Tate like this.
  13. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

:righton: :tiphat:

14. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

[​IMG]

Like Paul, Ace now seems to be wearing wigs offstage and without KISS makeup.

Some 1990 concerts had as many as 8 songs that Bowie almost never played at future shows.

M321115 and Matthew Tate like this.
  15. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

New costumes?? apparently not.

there's also a counter for an upcoming announcement in 7 days from now

KISS End Of The Road Store | KISS End Of The Road Store

With purchase of this product you will receive a Presale Code, giving you access to ticket sales for the End of the Road World Tour before the General Public. Your Presale Access Code will arrive after your confirmation email.

Black tee with bold and colorful graphic featuring the KISS logo, The Demon, The Starchild, The Spaceman and The Catman.

[​IMG]

16. SoundAdvice

I guess that confirms that Thayer will be on salary as a touring guitarist in some capacity for the next 3 years.

Decade old promo photo...

17. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

You mean Thayer playing the role of "The Spaceman" :cool:.

18. SoundAdvice

Those hoping for ONLY Ace on guitar will be brought down to earth.

19. SizzleVonSizzleton

SizzleVonSizzleton The Last Yeti

I think the time has come and gone to complain about the KISS set list. Personally, I'll keep complaining about other bands being so lazy in this manner but that's for acts that I assume have more tours ahead of them. In those cases I'll always politic for mixing it up. But with KISS this is the end, so I don't expect them to deviate from what they've been doing. Why would they let the set list get so stagnant for tour after tour and then switch it up now? Especially given how they're limping to the finish line with an irrevocably broken Starchild.

Along those same lines I can understand wanting to see Ace make some kind of appearance but KISS isn't going to dump Tommy Thayer at this point, nor should they. I'd like to see Ace take a bow with Gene and Paul but I really don't want to see (or more specifically listen to) Ace's sloppy playing dragging every song off course. What Ace did in KISS worked perfectly in the 1970's but now it would be a nightly train wreck. Every band eventually becomes more professional than their early days. There's no way Gene and Paul want to work as hard as they'd have to to lock in with Ace every night when they've got a proven professional in the Spaceman costume keeping the trains running on time. In a perfect world Tommy would never have been asked to put on that costume but in 2018 I'd rather see KISS with Tommy than with Ace.

ODShowtime, GodShifter, Chew and 3 others like this.
  20. Oatsdad

IIRC, "Space Oddity" only got trotted out one more time, at the 50th birthday show.

"Pretty Pink Rose" never got played again, but that's no surprise.

What are the others? "Golden Years"? "Starman"?

21. AirJordanFan93

Outside of the vocal group who have made their disdain for Tommy well known did anyone really expect them to have Ace back and be the full-time lead guitarist for the next 3 years.

Curveboy likes this.
  22. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

I'd rather see them at this point with Ace on guitar, with Peter playing bongos (literally), with Paul instead playing keyboards and singing through a vocoder, and where they do some Captain Beefheart and Residents covers to mix things up a bit, but I admit that I'm weird.

23. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

The Rolling Stone interview with Paul.

Paul Stanley on the Last Days of Kiss – Rolling Stone

You do have the challenge of trying to sing very high parts that you wrote as a much younger man.

Well, you do come to terms over time with your own mortality, and every singer that I know, probably the first thing we all say to each other is, “is this becoming tougher for you” or, “did you ever think you’d be singing this at this point in your life?” Well, that’s what happens and more and more time goes into whatever kind of care and preparation you have to put into it. I’ve been doing a lot recently to make sure that my voice is in great form. I mean, if you want to hear me sound like I did on Kiss Alive! than put on Kiss Alive! You know? There’s a reason why Robert Plant isn’t out there doing what he once did and there’s a lot of other singers that I know and speak to and everybody’s in the same boat. If you expect things to be unchanged than you’re not dealing with human beings. We’re not machines, but I will tell you that rather than comparing me or anyone else to who they once were, I think I’m standing up pretty well and whatever times have been low points or tough points in terms of voice, stuff like that happens when you’ve been doing it this long but I will tell you this tour will kick serious ass and anybody who saw America’s Got Talent I think has a pretty renewed, I guess confidence.

Was that actually a live performance or did you guys track it earlier?
    What you tend to do is record it live and that way you know that everything is as it should be. It’s not like going into the studio or anything like that, it’s…with all its imperfections it’s live.

What specifically are you doing with your voice to prepare for the tour?
    I’m shutting up and not talking to guys like you too often.

That’s smart.
    You know, you can warm up, you can… I’m doing heat therapies and all kinds of ultrasound and light therapies and stuff, just to keep the chords… over time they swell, they get irritated, all kinds of things and for me to go out and embark on what we’re going to do I want to make sure that things stay on an even keel. We’re not a band that does one show or two shows a week, we’re not a band that has some guy on keyboard doubling what I’m sing. There are certainly some singers out there now who you go “hey, he sounds really good,” well, look at the keyboard player! He sounds really good too!

M321115, Paulo Alm and moops like this.
  24. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

I get they have to play Detriot, RNR All Nite, and a few others. They can get away with not doing Lick It Up and Black Diamond. Those songs are so tired. Love Gun is way out of Paul's range too. No one will be mad if they replaced these songs with semi-deep cuts like I Stole Your Love, Ladies Room, and some others. To insist they have to play the same 15 songs over and over again is just silly. There is less than 5 songs that they have to play each night. Love Gun has been on the setlist for every tour practically. Paul thinks it was some big hit and it wasn't.

25. SizzleVonSizzleton

SizzleVonSizzleton The Last Yeti

You had me up until Captain Beefheart.

Terrapin Station likes this.