KISS coming to the "End of the Road?"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by keefer1970, Feb 19, 2018.

1. Witchy Woman

Witchy Woman Forum Resident

Paul Stanley seems to be inching closer to the possibility of including ex-members in the End of the Road Tour.

Since the tour was announced last month, Kiss fans have been clamoring for a farewell that includes former members.

“I wouldn’t discount any possibilities,” said Stanley, who plays the Starchild character in the band. “I learned long ago to never say never. Would I negate the possibility of former members making appearances? Absolutely not. I don’t know in what capacity.”

Paul Stanley Says Kiss Farewell Tour Could Include Ex-Members

Tree of Life and Matthew Tate like this.
  2. Witchy Woman

Witchy Woman Forum Resident

A nice interview with Bruce Kulick. He’s considering writing a book. :wiggle:

On KISS's upcoming farewell tour:

Bruce: "I kind of knew that they were gearing up to that about a year ago. I still don't really know any particulars. I know they're going to put together a terrific show, [but] beyond that, I don't know. I know a lot of fans are talking about, 'Oh, they should have some former members appear.' I know Paul [Stanley] was asked that, [and] he handled it like he doesn't know if he wants to or will do that. Either way, I'm very supportive. I think it is important for them, if they realized they want to go out big, to get it out there. I think that they mean it, by the way, in the sense of a real 'touring' touring. I know with a band, it's very easy to do a one-off whatever afterwards, or suddenly, you might decide to do a residency, because that's not really going on tour. I don't know, and I can't fault them ever if you want to do something and you get the offer and you commit and the people support it and enjoy it... I wish them the best, and obviously, if there's ever an opportunity where they did want to pay a little tribute to any of the other eras, they know I'd be there. I'd love to be there for that. We'll see what happens."

BRUCE KULICK 'Would Love To Be There' If KISS's Farewell Tour Included Special Show With Former Members

coffeetime likes this.
  3. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

A few thoughts from Ace/Trunk on what may or may not be going on with this tour and why dates have not been announced yet.

4. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

So Paul has been saying that the setlist will be long (25 songs), I assume that canned vocals will help him get thru a show of that length so here's a list of songs that I think have an honest shot at being played on this tour. (Assuming Ace and Peter are not present).

KISS: Strutter - Firehouse - Cold Gin - Deuce - 100,000 Years - Black Diamond
    HTH: Got to Choose - Parasite - Hotter than Hell - Let me Go R&R - Watchin You
    DTK: C'mon and Love - Rock Bottom - She - Love her All I can - R&R All Nite
    Destroyer: DRC - King - God of Thunder - Flaming Y - Shout it out Loud - Do You Love Me?
    R&R Over: I Want You - Calling Dr.Love - Makin Love
    Love Gun: I Stole - Christeen 16 - Love Gun
    Dynasty: I Was Made
    Unmasked: None
    Elder: None
    Creatures: Creatures of the Night - I Love it Loud - War Machine
    LIU: Lick it Up
    Animalize: Heavens on Fire
    Asylum: Tears are Falling
    Crazy Nights: Crazy Nights
    HITS: None
    Revenge: None
    COS: None
    Psycho Circus: Psycho Circus
    Sonic Boom: None
    Monster: None

37 total to pick from

carlwm and Matthew Tate like this.
  5. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Ace Frehley On Opening For KISS On Their End Of The Road Tour - "If I Can’t Regain My Throne, I’m Not Going To Do It... I Invented It"

M321115 and Doggiedogma like this.
  6. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

Good. He'll probably take some heat for that statement but I'm glad to hear him say it. As a founding member it's demeaning for him to open for them.

7. dave9199

dave9199 Forum Resident

The above comment and your avatar of Ace drinking a beer is a funny juxtaposition to me. I agree with you.

Zoot Marimba and vamborules like this.
  8. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

I'm not saying he necessarily deserves to be 'on his throne'. He doesn't play that great these days for one thing, and he left the band for another. So he can't just expect to be allowed back just because he thinks he deserves it. But still. I don't like the idea of him being their opening act. Just seems wrong.

Doggiedogma likes this.
  9. SizzleVonSizzleton

SizzleVonSizzleton The Last Yeti

I'm not sure where on that link Ace talks about not being the opening act for KISS. But I did find it hilarious that the sub-headline of one of the articles near the top says of Ace "considered by those in the know to be the musical genius behind KISS". :biglaugh:

GodShifter likes this.
  10. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

Ace opening for Kiss would be awesome.

11. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

12. SizzleVonSizzleton

SizzleVonSizzleton The Last Yeti

Thanks Deuce.

I don't have any problem if Ace doesn't want to open for KISS. That said, it brings a couple of things to mind.

First, is this that different than the fact that he's playing on the next KISS Kruise?

Second, this is going to be a long tour and if it's going to be three years it's going to be broken up into a lot of different segments likely with a lot of openers. No matter what Ace says now things can change and maybe he does end up opening a few dates or even a segment of the tour. Since it seems like being around Gene strongly contributed to Ace's decision to fire his band it doesn't seem out of the realm of possibility that Gene could get in his ear about supporting some KISS shows.

Personally I think Ace is letting his ego cloud his judgement. Opening for KISS could only get him in front of much larger crowds than he could ever get on his own and therefore move more product. Also KISS would almost be forced to bring him out for a couple of songs if he was their opener. I get that Ace doesn't want to stand next to Tommy Thayer in the Spaceman outfit but I'd advise him to get his chops up and prove something. Have a smile and let all the BS go.

Eternal props for inventing the Spaceman but you sold him off and Tommy is going to be the last guy to play him. Get over it. If you can fire your guitar player while his wife is dying of a debilitating disease and say it's 'just business', then recognize that Tommy in the Spaceman costume is 'just business'.

13. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

I think they're waiting for final proposals from promoters before they can decide what version(s)? of KISS they will present to the world for this tour. If the paycheque is big enough I'm sure Ace will be on board one way or another.

14. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

That really is very funny! :D

15. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Frankly I'd be more excited by a dynamic set list with some rare tunes than seeing Ace or Peter. (Now Vinnie..bring it on!)

16. Tree of Life

Tree of Life Hysteria

UGHHHHH.....I hope this isn't true to form

Curve, I just don't get your fascination with VV..IMO, he's just a footnote, much like Mark St John in the grand scheme of KISS

GodShifter likes this.
  17. Zach Johnson

Zach Johnson Forum Resident

But St. John never wrote songs. Vinnie helped write 3 tracks on Creatures, most of Lick It Up, and 3 tracks on Revenge.

And some say that songwriting helped ignite the flame behind KISS that was burning out after the commercial failure of The Elder and the glam years of the mid-late 80s.

18. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

The man has such illusions of grandeur....am I the only who, the more Ace mouths off, the less I buy and listen to him.....its like a reverse business plan he has.

Whenhe was releasing s*** hot albums such as Anomaly and Space Invader, he was actually quite humble and respectful. Success of those seem to have gone to his head though and the usual complacency and arrogance starts to comes out....and at the same time the quality of his own material takes a nose dive by the sounds of things....classic Ace.

At this stage Ace only has the KISS legacy to support his releases and tours. Without it, in the current climate I'm note sure many people would give him a listen. And I agree he would do very well to open for KISS and then come out for a couple of songs....there is so much Ace could gain from that.....but the guy is far too much of an a** to undertake that position.

19. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

"The Spaceman" isn't a role one plays, like Darren on Bewitched. The four makeup characters, as they always said, were extensions of the four members' personalities.

The band has understandably re-written their narrative to suit their own needs over the past 15 years, but until they started dressing Tommy and Eric up to look like Ace and Peter, NO ONE ever said anything like "Paul plays the Starchild", or "Gene plays the Demon".

While I understand that Ace sold off the rights, and I'm not arguing that Ace should necessarily be back in the band -- I'm not gonna pretend like it's a perfectly normal thing that they are still parading those two around dressed up as other people.

20. funkydude

funkydude Forum Resident

Actually, Peter Criss sold the rights to the Catman to Kiss, while Kiss pays Ace Frehley a license for the Space Ace character. At least that's what Ace Frehley said.

21. Kassonica

Kassonica Forum Resident

Hopefully. :)

22. dave9199

dave9199 Forum Resident

It's hilarious that you chose this as your example. There were two people who played Darren also.

ziggytvs, 905, tkl7 and 3 others like this.
  23. ejluther

ejluther Forum Resident

Talking about KISS and hits, why don’t they play “Forever”? It was in the U.S. Top Ten, after all. Sure, it’s a power ballad but it could still easily work...

905 and Matthew Tate like this.
  24. PDK

PDK Forum Resident

Not a fan of the song...but agree. Surprised they don't play it.

ejluther and Matthew Tate like this.
  25. trackstar

trackstar Forum Resident

That is nonsense. Ace sold his rights as well.

That "licensed" line he is floating has been clarified over and over by G&P that Ace owns nothing.

ejluther, Matthew Tate and PDK like this.